Game 28: Temple 2/20 2:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

How was JD when the game was on the line and on national tv. He disappeared. Sure he played ok when the game was out of reach, but too little and too late.
    So, you never said he disappeared.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

So, you never said he disappeared.
      sorry - but please comment on my later post as well. I said don't you like fundamentals or just scoring (paraphrase)

Comment

sorry - but please comment on my later post as well. I said don't you like fundamentals or just scoring (paraphrase)
        Of course fundamentals and defense are important. If we're going to talk turnovers, let's start with our pg's. Like it or not, we need JD's offense. He and DDJ are our ONLY viable options.

Comment

• Im going to close my argument with this : I realize that then only ones capable of scoring consistently are JD and DDJ. And I'm agreeing that defense is severely lacking all around and AND that we have virtually no inside threats. No rebounding, no put backs, no ball skills, no.passing out etc.etc. And I am not disparaging players personally but rather making observations.
          Why is it that this team cant grasp the defense? Why cant this team learn to play and position under the rim? As much as DDJ tries to be the leader (and he is one) it was made rather clear that because JD stayed, and is a hometown kid, that he is the designated leader. And as the leader, to continually put this own stats in front of the team, get taken out of games for doing so, and still make the same mistakes is baffling to me. And so I' m just asking why? Is he that stubborn? Why does CWM continue to allow it? Why can' t he and others learn this at this stage of the season? Is his being leader the reason why were not seeing others progress and some even going backwards develop-mentally? Part of being a fan of this forum is watching and discussing our favorite players blossom into bball players as the season progresses. To get ready for tournaments and practicing every single day we get to see these guys get better and better. But this year its the opposite were seeing the same bball being played ( or worse) as it was at the beginning. I like these kids and I like CWM and they have my support Im just mystified as to why players are not getting better and in some cases getting worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Of course fundamentals and defense are important. If we're going to talk turnovers, let's start with our pg's. Like it or not, we need JD's offense. He and DDJ are our ONLY viable options.
            I agree and I think all of us are tired of what we are watching. I know it is his first year, but can any really be happy when we see the uniforms playing like that. I want to be patient, but

Comment

• Originally posted by Black and Red Attack View Post
              This basketball forum, or at least the game threads, have turned into some of the most negative and condescending discussions I have ever been a part of. It's not a good luck for the site, the basketball program, or for all of us that are diehard Bearcats fans. The personal attacks on players skills seem to become more and more predictable and malicious (see Davenport who was 8 of 14, and made out to be the reason we lost) and it's frankly a turn off. Where do all the remarks and negative energy get us, it won't change anything on the court. Look I get this team is not what any of us want to see, and there are "lots" of things that need to change for next year. This team currently sits at 17-10, consider Mick's first two years at 11-19 and then 13-19, I would say this team has exceeded expectations. The irony in the posts this year seems to be that we have a team that just doesn't have the skill set, athleticism, basketball IQ needed to compete at the DI level, and then on the flip side we are blaming their effort, coaching, and have the expectation they should be winning more. Those two thoughts aren't compatible, it has to be one or the other. At the end of the day are you a fan of UC and the players that represent our favorite team, or are we a fan of winning? Sometimes unfortunately we don't get both. I have enjoyed the games this season, and I think once I was able accept what this team is, I still enjoy watching them play. I am sure I will get some negative responses to this but I'm hoping some will reflect on what my post is trying to relay. Go Cats! (flaws and all)
              Great post and I couldn't agree more. The problems I see on this team are way bigger and much deeper than just 1 or 2 guys making bad shot selection.
              My expectations weren't very high for this year so I guess all things considered they are doing a little better than I thought they would. I'm still hoping for that 20 win season but the chances do seem to be slipping away. Either way I'm here and still cheering....GO CATS!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

I agree and I think all of us are tired of what we are watching. I know it is his first year, but can any really be happy when we see the uniforms playing like that. I want to be patient, but
                As a Bengals and Reds fan, I guess I've learned to be patient.....frustrating as that may be. LOL

Comment

• My biggest issue with this team is not with the players but how they are being coached. They are not being pushed or corrected at all. It's a free for all. Part of coaching is adjusting to the talent you have. I don't see any of that happening. If they don't hit 50% plus in 3's they are likely not going to beat anybody else this league except USF.

DDJ is the only one in my opinion that has improved and I have a sense he did that on his own. Yeah, he shoots a lot but he at least he has offensive moves and who else can be counted on to score. The rest of the players are so inconsistent I don't know at this point who should be playing. It does irritate me that whan someone does get hot he gets taken out anyway for the stupid substitutions that are constantly made.

Based on the trend I am expecting 3 losses in the last 4 games and a quick exit in the conference tournament. There are a number of teams in our league that are playing better and are more attactive candidates than we are for the NIT.

Maybe things will improve when Miller gets his next group of recruits in. It seems they better be a finsihed product coming in because early resutls tell me they are not going to get much development.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gmann View Post
                    My biggest issue with this team is not with the players but how they are being coached. They are not being pushed or corrected at all. It's a free for all. Part of coaching is adjusting to the talent you have. I don't see any of that happening. If they don't hit 50% plus in 3's they are likely not going to beat anybody else this league except USF.

DDJ is the only one in my opinion that has improved and I have a sense he did that on his own. Yeah, he shoots a lot but he at least he has offensive moves and who else can be counted on to score. The rest of the players are so inconsistent I don't know at this point who should be playing. It does irritate me that whan someone does get hot he gets taken out anyway for the stupid substitutions that are constantly made.

Based on the trend I am expecting 3 losses in the last 4 games and a quick exit in the conference tournament. There are a number of teams in our league that are playing better and are more attactive candidates than we are for the NIT.

Maybe things will improve when Miller gets his next group of recruits in. It seems they better be a finsihed product coming in because early resutls tell me they are not going to get much development.
                    Good post - To many today have been educated to fall in line and not question. Sadly our school system is to blame. Anyone can see the lack of team on the court. CLF taught UC about team and he wears it on his clothes. DDJ has that step back move where he gets his defender off balance and shoots. The others catch the ball often while still moving, hesitate and either jack up a wild shot or make a wild pass without hitting their teammate in stride to shoot. Herky jerky and watching other teams makes me jealous of smooth play. I realize why many were still in the portal late, BUT some improvement at least. I have not seen any. Just some improvements in fundamentals please- Yes the cats took discards and I wonder how many of our returnees were wanted elsewhere except the one at LSU. I know it is a mess as I have eyes, but at least some sign of hope in a few players fundamentals.
                    Last edited by leo from jersey; 02-21-2022, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• The subsitution pattern is done by Mike Roberts, not Wes Miller. Miller has veto power and I'm guessing a lot of us think that he should use it more. I think the substitution patterns have more to do with matchups and analytics than hot shooting and Wes has said as much in press conferences. That's why you're seeing guys who are playing well get pulled off the floor at what looks to us like a weird time. It's punch counterpunch with the opposition.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        The subsitution pattern is done by Mike Roberts, not Wes Miller. Miller has veto power and I'm guessing a lot of us think that he should use it more. I think the substitution patterns have more to do with matchups and analytics than hot shooting and Wes has said as much in press conferences. That's why you're seeing guys who are playing well get pulled off the floor at what looks to us like a weird time. It's punch counterpunch with the opposition.
                        All I know is that they have lost 3 of their last 4 and they are rapidly sliding into the abyss. What they are doing isn't working and it's time to try something else. It's so frustrating to see them do the same things over and over again and poorly at that. This team needs a wake up call regardless of the talent level.

Comment

• I have NEVER heard or read of a head coach that DOES NOT control what player is and what player is not in the game. Even though Miller has veto power, what does that suggest about Miller?

Comment

• In the way Im thinking it says Mike R. is cataloguing players minutes and the rotation is based solely on equal pt and not so much on "match ups". But Im not a D1 bball coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post
                              I have NEVER heard or read of a head coach that DOES NOT control what player is and what player is not in the game. Even though Miller has veto power, what does that suggest about Miller?
                              I don't think Miller doesn't control it. He's delegated it if anything and it might suggest he doesn't know advanced stats the way Roberts does or that Miller doesn't have time for it in game since he's up and down the sidelines. Regardless, it's a different coaching style than what we're used to.
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X