Early season observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
    I hope Xavier doesn't make it 4 in a row next month, but realistically I just hope 'Cats keep it close and look respectable. X playing Indiana tough tonight thus far.

Watching the highlights of IU vs. X, and I'll predict a beatdown unless something drastically changes over the next two weeks.

Comment

You’re right, but you still have to play and coaches have the authority to play those who are giving effort and or making better decisions. I could see losing a close game…..but if players aren’t performing to the coaches expectations, pull them until they learn. Hugs had a favorite saying
      ”Fear is a great motivator”

Comment

Originally posted by JBB View Post
        What really bothers me is 11 points in second half. Either we quit playing or incompetence on coach and staff. I remember Hugs pulling 5 players and ripping their *** for such fog. Yes it’s embarrassing, but this falls in the coaches
        where is the greatness and pride in being a Bearcat?

Unfortunately Wes does not come from that family tree, and has no idea about Bearcat Toughness or Pride... So unless we hire a former player someday from the Huggs or Mick era, will probably NEVER see it again...

Comment

Forget about the Xavier game for now. Has anyone seen Arizona play? They are pro-size big. Their starters on the front line go 6"11' and 7"0'. They also bring in a backup at 7"0. Their front line is the strength of the team. They score about 37 points a game and 16 rebounds. All of their starters score in double figures. So far, over three games, Arizona has scored an average of 106 points a game. Their front line is VERY AGGRESSIVE on both sides of the ball. They score and they defend hard around the rim. They also play fast and look for the transition basket on every missed shot. Let's be truthful here, UC in all probability, is going to lose this game. Wes Miller is going to have to come up with the strategy of his life to win this one. However, there is a good thing. This game will be Arizona's toughest game so far this season. Also, UC's guards matchup well with Arizona's guards. If UC can get back on defense in transition, send those big guards to the boards, hit the 3-point shot, and play intermediate range offense, they may have a chance to win. It may be a mistake to get into a fast-paced running game with Arizona. However, from what I have seen so far, UC's half-court game may be lacking as well. Good luck in Maui Cincinnati basketball. I am rooting for you.

Comment

[QUOTE=leeraymond;n395859 Good luck in Maui Cincinnati basketball. I am rooting for you.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing your not a Bearcats Fan if you don't mind me asking?

Comment

Sounds like an Arizona fan or a Sean Miller groupie trolling?

Comment

I am a BIG Cincinnati basketball fan. I graduated from UC. I have been following UC sports for about 30 years. I was around when Tony Yates was the coach. I remember when the team played games in downtown Cincinnati because they were waiting for their own arena to be built. I remember going to an Oral Roberts game where I may have been one of maybe 200 people in the entire arena. I remember when the basketball team played games in the Cincinnati Gardens. I am not saying that I know everything there is to know about Cincinnati basketball, however, I go a long way back observing the program. The one thing that I have learned about observing sports in general over the years is, I know a good team when I see one. I know good solid coaching when I see it. What I am saying here is that after observing both Cincinnati and Arizona this year, I would imagine that Arizona is heavily favored. Hey, Cincy is my team. At the same time, I am a realist and I call them like I see them. Nobody on the planet wants Cincinnati to win ALL of their games EVERY season more than me. That is not being realistic. Look, UC has some really good parts and pieces. Miller's defenses have MAJOR problems taking teams out of what they want to do offensively. We, as fans, have seen UC defenses take teams out of what they want to do offensively through the Huggins and Cronin years. I have yet to see a Miller defense do that. If Cincinnati is going to beat Arizona, it must take them out of their offense. I am NOT sure they can do that. One other thing. I HAVE BEEN WRONG A LOT OVER THE YEARS. I really like Miller, I really do. However, after almost 40 games, I have seen Miller's UC teams look good in only about five (5) games. That bothers me about Miller's coaching. Even this year's team, which has improved a lot from last year, has not displayed a sense of toughness (especially on offense) and togetherness that the better teams display. UC gives up way too many uncontested shots. Either the EKU or the Cleveland State game (I cannot remember which one), UC gave up 9 uncontested shots before the first half was over. I stop counting because there were so many. Really good teams attempt to contest EVERY shot. If you want to see a very good defensive team, check out Houston. As you can probably tell, I like good solid defense. I have not seen that from Miller yet. The season is still very early, and the team is still evolving. Let's see what the team looks like in January. That will be a better indicator. Go Cincinnati.
                Last edited by leeraymond; 11-21-2022, 11:29 AM.

Comment

I think you have almost convinced us of your fandom leeraymond, perhaps a little disdain of X declared would just about do it. And you are expressing the very same concerns as many on here do. I feel the litmus test of this entire season will hinge on how well they do in Maui, although a lot of improvement can take place over the course of a year. I myself am waiting on Maui results and then to see how they perform against X. If the defense does not improve with these next four games I'm thinking to give all the playing time to Reed, Skillings and some others who don't normally play to find some heart in there somewhere. But I'm just a fan as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post

I'm guessing your not a Bearcats Fan if you don't mind me asking?
                    Why? Because he's being realistic? Who are you to judge his allegience to UC?

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Why? Because he's being realistic? Who are you to judge his allegience to UC?
                      I think we're ALL being realistic! and I'm not judging anyone! I was curious because of what he said in closing!

" Good luck in Maui Cincinnati basketball. I am rooting for you."

So the real question is, why come off as a jerk towards me!

Comment

This post isn’t about early season observations, it’s about one game observations which is a really small sample size and an anomaly.
                        My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
                          This post isn’t about early season observations, it’s about one game observations which is a really small sample size and an anomaly.

No, it's about the 1st (3) games, and basically last season!

Comment

Would be bad taste to run through so many coaches in a short amount of time. What message would the university be showing the recruits now and later. Coach Wes is handling the politics of coming in with kids he didn't recruit in there final years, better than Brannan handled the situation.

He has players just depends how he uses them, the talent he brought in is already showing flashes of the future and its pretty dang bright. He has to switch up the offense though in my opinion, too many players out of their true position. Davenport is one, MAW is back at his natural position.

6th man Dejulius is my vote. The talent for the squad is there, just need a true center to lock down and bring defense back to Uc basketball.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X