No announcement yet.

Tulane 12/29 9:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UC at 68 in KenPom (#59 adjusted offensive efficiency, #82 defense)
    Tulane at 104, with next opponent Temple at 135

Comment

Originally posted by JBB View Post
      No doubt, the team is playing better. I’m puzzled as to why when we had them in foul trouble, why we didn’t pound it in the paint??? Instead, we continued to Jack up 3’s like we’re behind by 15. I really believe JD can’t be coached. He doesn’t recognize when to settle and work a half court set. Anyway, happy with the win, hopefully the coaches see these same weaknesses
      Agree. We had the lead and a clear advantage inside and kept jacking 3's which allowed them back in the game. Overall I see improvement in that we have more ball handlers than ever and get into our offense in a hurry. Theyt still love the 3's too much when we do have a few guys that have decent mid-range game. Defense will continue to be an issue although I do feel the effort and energy there is better.

Comment

The post-game interview, Wes said that he was frustrated when they had a lead with a handful of minutes left that instead of taking time off the clock and looking inside for Vic, they shot 3s very early in the shot clock. He said at that point, they were playing against the clock and not working it. If he was frustrated, why he did not remove the player(s) that were not working the clock?

Comment

It would hurt his favorite's feelings. How many different national announcers have to point how wretched his shot selection is. When they talk about Newman improving the team is it more than his defense. Could someone find more time on the bench especially when he is deaf/blind and dumb to fundamental basketball. I think we all saw it last night one more time.
          Last edited by leo from jersey; 12-30-2022, 11:27 AM.

Comment

He could not remove them because they were the best players. One thing was clear Tulane is a good team.

Comment

I know folks are frustrated with Jeremiah’s shooting. He is dramatically improved vs. last year. He’s making winning plays, defending better. Turning it over a lot less. His full court ball handling is improved. He had 42 turnovers on the season last year. This year he only has 6.

My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post
                I know folks are frustrated with Jeremiah’s shooting. He is dramatically improved vs. last year. He’s making winning plays, defending better. Turning it over a lot less. His full court ball handling is improved. He had 42 turnovers on the season last year. This year he only has 6.
                Counterpoint -- A) you cannot turn it over when you immediately shoot, and B) poor shots essentially = turnovers

Yes, there are definitely some improvements there. But he's 5/27 from three (18.5%) in the last four games, three of which were against mid-majors and the other a respectable Tulane. Landers Nolley has fired up 26 threes in the same stretch but has hit 46.2% (12/26) of them. David DeJulius is only 7/21 in those four games but he's making a lot of 2s.

Let's acknowledge though that JD is shooting a career-best 84.8% (28/33) from the FT line, including 11/11 in the last three games he's made it to the charity stripe -- plus three of his five misses were in the first two games.

Bringing this full circle, he could be more efficient/effective if he's getting to the basket and drawing fouls.

Comment

You know we have beat this JD thing ad nauseum on this forum ( and others) therefore we just have to accept it that CWM seems to tolerate his style of play. Last year it was because JD was one of the few scorers on the roster. This year it seems coach is yanking him more when he bricks up shots. This year JD does seem to be playing more under control and is improving in some areas but then the old mindset of wanting to electrify the crowd with a dramatic trey creeps up. And it usually happens just as soon as they cross the mid court line. And when he bricks these it has the reverse effect. JD just has the mindset of a sixth man, coming off the bench to grab some quick points and give the team a boost. He's not shot us out of any games yet this year and I hope he doesn't.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                    You know we have beat this JD thing ad nauseum on this forum ( and others) therefore we just have to accept it that CWM seems to tolerate his style of play. Last year it was because JD was one of the few scorers on the roster. This year it seems coach is yanking him more when he bricks up shots. This year JD does seem to be playing more under control and is improving in some areas but then the old mindset of wanting to electrify the crowd with a dramatic trey creeps up. And it usually happens just as soon as they cross the mid court line. And when he bricks these it has the reverse effect. JD just has the mindset of a sixth man, coming off the bench to grab some quick points and give the team a boost. He's not shot us out of any games yet this year and I hope he doesn't.
                    Conference has started and he wasn't really yanked even after bricks and refusing to pass. Different mindset in conference play, but I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Counterpoint -- A) you cannot turn it over when you immediately shoot, and B) poor shots essentially = turnovers

Yes, there are definitely some improvements there. But he's 5/27 from three (18.5%) in the last four games, three of which were against mid-majors and the other a respectable Tulane. Landers Nolley has fired up 26 threes in the same stretch but has hit 46.2% (12/26) of them. David DeJulius is only 7/21 in those four games but he's making a lot of 2s.

Let's acknowledge though that JD is shooting a career-best 84.8% (28/33) from the FT line, including 11/11 in the last three games he's made it to the charity stripe -- plus three of his five misses were in the first two games.

Bringing this full circle, he could be more efficient/effective if he's getting to the basket and drawing fouls.
                      I’m looking at this from the perspective of someone who played college basketball and played for 25 years. All of these dudes have warts, but the seniors (Nolley, DDJ, Shoey, Dav) are playing like seniors. I hate DDJ’s shot selection, but he is a DAWG on defense. He’s extremely disruptive. They are sharing the ball now.

I believe there are two pros on this team Lahkin and Skillings. When Newman gets back they should be able to compete their way onto the bubble.
                      My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

I’m looking at this from the perspective of someone who played college basketball and played for 25 years. All of these dudes have warts, but the seniors (Nolley, DDJ, Shoey, Dav) are playing like seniors. I hate DDJ’s shot selection, but he is a DAWG on defense. He’s extremely disruptive. They are sharing the ball now.

I believe there are two pros on this team Lahkin and Skillings. When Newman gets back they should be able to compete their way onto the bubble.
                        Great perspective and love the glass half full approach

Comment

I don't think Ody Oguama has gotten any love in this game thread. Another solid outing, quietly going for 4 points and 6 rebounds in 23 minutes.

First 5 games of the season (Chaminade through Arizona): averaged 10.4 minutes, 0.8 points (4 points on 1/5 shooting)

Last 5 games (Xavier through Tulane): averaged 20.6 minutes, 6.2 points (31 points on 14/19 shooting). He's often getting 3-4 fouls per game with increased minutes, but seems like he's been a big spark and I've enjoyed him sharing the frontcourt with Lakhin.

Comment

" I believe there are two pros on this team Lahkin and Skillings. When Newman gets back they should be able to compete their way onto the bubble."
                            True. Then we'll have two dawg's on D. They keep sharing the ball they'll make some noise.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              A round of applause to referee Anthony Jordan for the incredibly biased officiating. Every league needs to cut ties with that guy. The SEC already banned him after a similar performance last year.
                              I thought it was a horrendously officiated game.

Comment

Originally posted by Gmann View Post

Agree. We had the lead and a clear advantage inside and kept jacking 3's which allowed them back in the game. Overall I see improvement in that we have more ball handlers than ever and get into our offense in a hurry. Theyt still love the 3's too much when we do have a few guys that have decent mid-range game. Defense will continue to be an issue although I do feel the effort and energy there is better.
                                I don’t understand why we’re pushing the ball with an 8 point lead and 45 sec to go, only to turn the ball over. Then foul a 80% free throw shooting team & stopping the clock. What ?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X