Southern Methodist 1/14 4:00 ESPNU

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

In his postgame comments with Dan Hoard, CWM said Vik took that upon himself to miss the FT intentionally. His favorite player is Luka Doncic, whom Vik has seen do that. Unfortunately, I doubt that Doncic has done that on the front-end of a 1 & 1 with a 1-point lead.
    Yea I didn't think CMW would be ok with that. You only had 1.8 secs remaining. Make the two free throws. 4 pt lead. But it was a very ugly win go 'cats

Comment

Conference road wins are very hard to come by. Just look at yesterdays results. Many teams better than us took the gas pipe. The home team always gets the benefit of the referees plus shooting percentages are dramatically impacted, both teams. Whereas this was an ugly game, its a game we could have easily lost and certainly would have last year. There are no pictures on the scorecard, just take the W and move on. If there is a positive hear, its the fact that we found a way to win. I will take about 6 more conference road wins just like it. I regret that this team gets bashed when we lose and still bashed when we win. If you are looking for the "beautiful" win, maybe you should become a soccer fan.

Comment

Vik missed the FT and the ball hit the backboard and maybe the rim. SMU rebounded. So shouldn't the clock have started and kept running since SMU had no time outs?

Comment

Originally posted by DesertFog View Post
          Vik missed the FT and the ball hit the backboard and maybe the rim. SMU rebounded. So shouldn't the clock have started and kept running since SMU had no time outs?
          woulda should coulda doesn't mean much to how the Refs see it, but yes. They claimed it didn't hit anything. OK how did it bounce back into the court.

Comment

Originally posted by RedDog View Post
            Conference road wins are very hard to come by. Just look at yesterdays results. Many teams better than us took the gas pipe. The home team always gets the benefit of the referees plus shooting percentages are dramatically impacted, both teams. Whereas this was an ugly game, its a game we could have easily lost and certainly would have last year. There are no pictures on the scorecard, just take the W and move on. If there is a positive hear, its the fact that we found a way to win. I will take about 6 more conference road wins just like it. I regret that this team gets bashed when we lose and still bashed when we win. If you are looking for the "beautiful" win, maybe you should become a soccer fan.
            I look for improvement in shot selection, passing and team play. I did see some improvement in a couple of players, but far from all. If you have the three aspects I mentioned. you will often have a "beautiful" win. Emphasis on the win.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

I look for improvement in shot selection, passing and team play. I did see some improvement in a couple of players, but far from all. If you have the three aspects I mentioned. you will often have a "beautiful" win. Emphasis on the win.
              I agree Leo, I would love to see all phases come together. Right now, I will settle for the toughness to fight through and still get the W. As you say, thats the emphasis. If they reverse engineer our rebuild and start with ugly wins, then improve on all aspects on how they got there, then thats a good plan. Its gotta start win heart and I am beginning to see some. Encouraged guardedly at this point.

Comment

I agree Leo, I would love to see all phases come together. Right now, I will settle for the toughness to fight through and still get the W. As you say, thats the emphasis. If they reverse engineer our rebuild and start with ugly wins, then improve on all aspects on how they got there, then thats a good plan. Its gotta start win heart and I am beginning to see some. Encouraged guardedly at this point.
                yes I see MAW and I am shocked. Would like to see him back for his covid year if he is eligible.

Comment

woulda should coulda doesn't mean much to how the Refs see it, but yes. They claimed it didn't hit anything. OK how did it bounce back into the court.
                  The ball hit the bottom edge of the backboard. Vik's try was slightly wide right and appeared to squeeze under the rim and carom back.

Comment

yes I see MAW and I am shocked. Would like to see him back for his covid year if he is eligible.
                    MAW is a favorite of mine. I hope he gets an extra year with the Cats.
                    I didn't think the game would be a blow-out. I'm just glad to see them get through it with the W.
                    Last edited by John P; 01-16-2023, 12:50 AM.

Comment

Here's the Box Score:

Nolley with a double double again and Vik almost pulled one off with Rebounds and Blocks. Don't see that too often.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401492698
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I agree with you RedDog. This is a game that UC may have lost last year. UC shot only 33.8 % and still won the game. That is old school Cincinnati basketball right there. UC held SMU to just 31.9 % shooting. Also, here is an amazing stat line. In fact, I do not think I have ever seen this in a college basketball game box score before: UC had THREE GUYS IN DOUBLE FIGURES WITH REBOUNDS (Nolley, Oguama, and Lahkin). One of the keys to this team, in my estimation, is learning how to win when they do not score well. Everybody made a contribution in the SMU game (Davenport had 9 rebounds, DeJulius had five assists, and Lahkin had eight (8) blocks wow!!)) although most of the starters had problems scoring.

One thing that UC has got to get better with is their END OF THE GAME TIME MANAGEMENT. How many times have we seen UC up by maybe five or six points with two or three minutes left in the game, and someone (Davenport, Nolley, DeJulius, and sometimes even Adams-Woods) takes a quick shot early in the shot clock. The other team then goes down and score to make a tight game even tighter. These guys DO NOT KNOW WHEN TO BACK OFF WHEN THE GAME IS ON THE LINE. I believe that a team must continue to attack on offense, but SMART TEAMS KNOW WHEN TO MILK THE CLOCK and grind the win out. That sort of thing MUST BE ADDRESSED BY MILLER. Most of UC's remaining games are probably going to look more like the SMU game instead of the Tulane game.

Anyway, hey; a win is a win. Good defensive win for Cincy. I liked the SMU win. That was a tough gritty win. I like tough gritty games. They are more interesting to watch than blow-out games. Good teams can win in different ways. UC won without a lot of scoring. They are going to need more of that type of play to win games in the conference.
                        Last edited by leeraymond; 01-16-2023, 01:28 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X