Tulsa 2/1 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tulsa 2/1 7:00 ESPN+

Back to ESPN+ (4 of next 5 games on ESPN+)

Tulsa is 5-15 including a 1-8 record in the league (a win over Tulane). They have lost 9 of 10 and are coming off a 12-point home loss to Memphis. Leading scorer is 6'4 junior Sam Griffin. Eric Konkol is the new coach, having come over from La. Tech.

NET: 78 vs. 284 (Quad 4)
    Ken Pom: 65 vs. 251

Young team with only one senior. I honestly don't recognize any of these guys from last year except Chukwu.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/202
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

One thing I will have an eye on will be the potential playing time for Rob Phinisee, who played 4 mins at Houston after being out for almost 2 months.

UC would stand to benefit from a healthy Phinisee (particularly on defense) and Mika Adams-Woods could probably use a reduced workload. MAW absolutely shined from late December through mid-January. In his last three games he shot a combined 4 of 23 FG including 2 of 13 from 3 (and one of those FGs/3s made was a half court shot at the buzzer), his toughest stretch all season.

Comment

https://gobearcats.com/news/2023/1/3...ith-tulsa.aspx
        - Nolley leads the AAC in 3-point % and is 10th nationally
        - DeJulius is 28 points from becoming the 55th member of UC's 1000-point club
        - Davenport is 63 points from 1000
        - Lakhin is second in the AAC in FG% and 13th nationally
        - UC is 11-3 versus Tulsa in AAC play heading into their final game outside of a potential AAC tourney matchup

UC is a 15.0 point favorite, per ESPN.com

Comment

This may not be an easy win for UC although they are picked by ESPN to win by 15 points. I have seen Tulsa play a few times. They play very hard and Brandon Betson (something like that) can really shoot the 3 ball. Tulsa has yet to win a game on the road this season. I hope Miller does NOT take this game for granted. Maybe I should not say this. Oh well, here it goes. There are some bloggers that have already given UC up for dead after the Houston loss. In fact, some of the members are already talking about next year in the BIG 12. I do not know if anybody has checked the remaining schedule; UC still has NINE (9) regular season games left and AT LEAST one conference tournament game. There are still some decent wins left on the season (UCF twice, Memphis, and Temple). I do not know what quads these teams are in (in fact, I do not understand all of that quad *&%$# anyway). The point is this, if UC can get hot down the stretch and win 6 or 7 of their remaining games (beat Temple, Memphis, and beat UCF at home) they MAY look favorable for the NIT. Additionally, that will give them 20 or 21 wins on the season. It always looks good win a program can get 20 or more wins on the season. This team badly needs some post season play going into the BIG 12 next season.

One last thing and I am going to shut up. One of the things that bothers me about Miller is that he appears to be setting the TEAM GOALS TOO LOW. I have heard him say many times that the goal of practice is for the team to get better. That goes without saying. That is equivalent to telling your kid the goal is to take a shower every day. Getting better every day in practice should be a given NOT a goal. A coach designs the practice to win games. Getting better is a part of it. When Cronin and Huggins were around, they always emphasized getting to the post season; always. That is the type of CULTURE they built the program around. When is the last time has anyone heard Miller mention anything about the post season? That's my point. If a coach wants to get to post season, that should be emphasized in the off-season, training camps, and in-season practices. A coach must build that winning thinking into his players' mind sets. Miller has been a head coach for 12 years. He has had six (6) consecutive winning seasons (that's good). How many of those winning seasons have led to post season play? The University of Cincinnati basketball program is accustomed to being a regular part of the post season. UC has played in roughly 23 of the last 32 NCAA tournaments. That is about 72% of the NCAAs over the last 32 years. Not many programs can boast that. That does NOT include the NIT. Miller has big shoes to fill. It all starts with having higher goals to reach.
          Last edited by leeraymond; 02-01-2023, 12:12 PM.

Comment

Big Vik sporting the head band!

Comment

Vik with a new head band didn't protect the drive in the paint

Comment

nice pick & roll

Comment

nolley hurt

Comment

It has to be bothering Nolley as he is cold

Comment

Actually we have three wearing em JD MAW and Vik

Comment

well Vik got a short hair cut

Comment

JD has one too

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                            JD has one too
                            sorry rufus read it wrong - my eyes are not groovy tonight

Comment

Kalu checking in

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X