Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Xavier 12/9 6:30 FS1

Welcome to Xavier week.

Regardless of how well we're playing, this game is always hard, especially at Cintas. Xavier gave Houston trouble there last Friday night in a game marred by lots and lots of phantom fouls on Houston. That's probably about what we can expect from the officials on Saturday.

Xavier is 4-4 coming into the game after the loss to Houston. They also suffered a home loss to Oakland previous to Houston. Records generally don't matter much in this game when it comes right down to it. X plays Delaware on Tuesday night on FS1 if you'd like to tune in and check them out.

There's a question of how healthy they will be coming into the game against the Bearcats, Trey Green missed the Houston game with an illness. Jerome Hunter is done for the year with a cardiac issue. Zach Freemantle is done for the year.

There's no one guy to go after defensively on this squad but I think if we lock up their guards we can win it. I'd like to see us go after Desmond Claude. He's a volume shooter but he's a bit turnover prone.

Xavier does not have a lot of height outside of Ousmane at 6'10. Djokovic, also 6'10 , can play when needed but is not a regular. He's a freshman from Serbia who's never played in this game.

-----

I think UC wins if we're healthy and we stay out of foul trouble in the front court. I am a little concerned that most of our guards have never played in this game. If we're going to beat them in Cintas, this is the year. Their program is down a little relative to the last few years. We seem to have gotten much better this year.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tats/_/id/2752

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Have to watch Olivari- can make 3’s. Believe he was
    leading 3 pt FG at Rice ?
    McKnight strength is intermediate 2 pointers, hasn’t shown much from 3 yet.
    Trey Green will likely be back & has started to shoot
    better after a slow start.
    Nemeiksa (6’8) can score inside & from 3.
    Djokovic (6’10) missed first few games due to hand injury I think but looks to have a good touch from outside, esp for a big.
    Claude strength right now is taking it to the hole, has been sporadic from 3.
    Ousmane (6’10) good effort rebounding & can score inside.
    Saw where Jerome Hunter practiced recently- don’t know in what capacity or to what intent ?

Comment

I know final exams plays a factor, but seems like UC always has a full week before the Xavier game, and X usually has a game in the middle of the week -- and despite UC having all that time to prepare for one opponent and rest up, they never seem ready.

This feels different this year, but obviously would be a little more optimistic if Houston had smacked X around more last Friday.

Xavier has mostly new guys and not a roster full of veterans who have been through this Shootout for 2-3 years chomping at the bit.

Simas Lukosius, who has had success against Xavier in two years playing for Butler (including at Cintas Center) would have the chance to play a key role -- but who knows his status yet.

Need a big game from Vik (among others) -- one of the vets on the team who is obviously playing tremendous basketball right now.

UC starting the week 29 in KenPom, Xavier at 40. I believe the first NET rankings drop today.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
        UC starting the week 29 in KenPom, Xavier at 40. I believe the first NET rankings drop today.

UC is #14, Xavier #68 in NET rankings https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

Comment

7 Big 12 teams in the top 20 of the NET... going to be quite the gauntlet to get through like our old Big East days... should be fun

Comment

I watched the X-UH game and was impressed with the ability of the Eggmen to match the Cougars' intensity throughout the game. They were not intimidated by the constant physicality. The Cats need to be as unintimidated by the atmosphere as X was of the Cougars.

The crowd will be their usual nasty selves. Whoever officiates this game needs to get control of the teams' emotions. We need to be able to play the game as physically as possible without losing composure. The Bearcats have done a great job this year of playing hard without fouling excessively.

Considering that both teams are ranked highly by KenPom in terms of adjusted defensive efficiency, I expect a rock fight. In games like this, hitting open shots and free throws is essential. It would help if Simas is fit, because he can be a calming influence.

There always seems to be some normally insignificant X player who has a career night against UC; some bricklayer who buries three quick treys and we're left scrambling from behind. Let's hope we can avoid that for once.

Time to scout them again tonight versus the Blue Hens at 6:30 on FS1.

Comment

X is in a fight with Delaware right now.. 2pt lead, 13mins to go.

Comment

X in trouble. 10:00, DE 67-60. Muskies have been turnover machines.

Comment

9:33: DE 69-62. Miller just used final TO.

Comment

X could very well lose this game. Blue Hens up by 10 with under 8 minutes to play. I remember we played Delaware in the NCAA tournament in 1992 on our way to the final four.
                    ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Muskies going down. Outhustled and outscored.

Final: DE 87-80.

Comment

Now that's 3 in a row they've lost... They will be in desperation mode on Saturday!

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
                          Now that's 3 in a row they've lost... They will be in desperation mode on Saturday!
                          That's what I'm afraid of
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

That's what I'm afraid of

You and me both! I really wanted them to win tonight.

Comment

Folks, let’s not get worried about a 4-5 XU squad. I’m not saying they won’t be a handful or that UC is a lock. But this is the least daunting squad/matchup since the Hanky McSpanky season.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X