No announcement yet.

Dayton 12/16 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you know more than the rest of us, please inform.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

We didn't attack those out playing to win, but those who think they are entitled to win and to their scholarship. Did you see the game or only the forum? Once again, your comment covered the old ground of folks wanted MC gone and he took UC to the tourney. By that logic, CWM should also be wanted to go. I have advocated at least one more year, but the team just doesn't play intelligent ball versus teams who have equal talent and not the buy teams. This board is a place to come and show frustration, but after reading your post it appears that you think that you are the only one entitled to be frustrated. I think your frustration is mostly misplaced. The members here love the Cats. The members love the history. The members love the school and being UC, we are entitled to better..
      One of the major problems right now is we have two point guards, neither have played at this level before, especially against better competition like last night. They’ll need time to adjust, and if we get those guys up to speed, the offense will be much better. I honestly think Jizzle will be our best PG since Cashmere Wright, maybe since Nick Van Exel. These guys need time and experience against elite competition.
      Last edited by longtimefan; 12-18-2023, 05:43 PM.

Comment

This might be a boring take, but now that everyone is available the coaching staff needs to figure out roles and get the players to buy-in. I can accept some of the issues given Aziz and Jamille only recently became eligible and Simas got hit by a car. But now that they are on winter break, they have extended time to practice and need to figure some things out.

Comment

Originally posted by bg703 View Post
          This might be a boring take, but now that everyone is available the coaching staff needs to figure out roles and get the players to buy-in. I can accept some of the issues given Aziz and Jamille only recently became eligible and Simas got hit by a car. But now that they are on winter break, they have extended time to practice and need to figure some things out.
          Winter break provides no extra practice time. Players are limited to four hours per day/twenty hours per week. But you are right. Wes needs to get this team to gel before conference play or they will be eaten alive, like lambs thrown to the wolves.

A student-athlete's participation in countable athletically related activities shall be limited to a maximum of four hours per day and 20 hours per week. For a multi-sport student-athlete, the daily and weekly hour limitations apply separately to each sport in which s/he participates.

Comment

I stayed off this thread since the game and don't feel like reading through all the posts -- so apologies if i am repeating anything here.

I am very rarely critical on here, usually glass half full and all that. But what is rubbing me the wrong way is seeing quotes from Wes after Xavier, Dayton talking about how pissed off he is. We are in year 3 -- we don't doubt you care/really want to win/ have frustrations, etc. You don't need to say that to prove this. Do something about it.

Also, I feel badly for Ody Oguama. As we celebrated the clearance of Aziz and now Jamille, these guys getting eligibility cuts into his PT. He played 7 minutes versus Dayton - his fewest minutes (and first time 10 mins or less) since November 16 last year.

Comment

i've not posted at all, and have barely looked at any posts, regarding the norwood U and/or UD debacles. but, i agree that both games were extremely disappointing. the cats will have planty of chances in the league to make up for these two, but, they really do still have work to do.

Comment

Given the somewhat sour mood, look at the bright side. They have so much room to improve!

Comment

Originally posted by bearcated View Post
                  Given the somewhat sour mood, look at the bright side. They have so much room to improve!
                  I think we want victories, especially versus rivals.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                    I stayed off this thread since the game and don't feel like reading through all the posts -- so apologies if i am repeating anything here.

I am very rarely critical on here, usually glass half full and all that. But what is rubbing me the wrong way is seeing quotes from Wes after Xavier, Dayton talking about how pissed off he is. We are in year 3 -- we don't doubt you care/really want to win/ have frustrations, etc. You don't need to say that to prove this. Do something about it.

Also, I feel badly for Ody Oguama. As we celebrated the clearance of Aziz and now Jamille, these guys getting eligibility cuts into his PT. He played 7 minutes versus Dayton - his fewest minutes (and first time 10 mins or less) since November 16 last year.
                    I am with you on Oguama. Reynolds, who is just becoming eligible, played more minutes than Oguama in the Dayton game. If you look at the defensive stats on both Aziz and Ogama as starters (both have started 5 games this season), when Oguama starts, UC gives up 62.4 points/game. When Aziz starts, UC gives up 72 points/game. Also, the five games that Aziz started, UC has given up 80 or more points in 3 of the 5 games. When Oguama started, UC gave up 70 or more points one time (Eastern Washington scored 73 points). To me, it is clear, based on the numbers, UC is a better team with Oguama starting than Aziz. Do not get me wrong, I like Aziz. The guy is a pretty good rebounder. However, his defensive skills are very specialized. He is a very good defender RIGHT AT THE RIM. Away from the rim is where Aziz is NOT a good defender. Oguama can play inside or outside. That gives him an advantage over Aziz. When the opponent has a big man that mostly plays inside, that is when Miller should play Aziz the bulk of the minutes.

One last comment. Miller is now 3-5 against local rivals (2-0 against Miami; 0-3 against Xavier: 1-1 against NKU; and 0-1 against Dayton). That dismal record against local rivals will NOT endear Miller to the UC fan base. Miller has at least 14 BIG GAMES remaining to prove that he is a BIG GAME coach. We all really like Miller and want him to do well. However, so far from what Miller has shown, nobody is sure at this point if Miller is a big game coach. I hope that Miller proves us all wrong.
                    Last edited by leeraymond; 12-20-2023, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Remember the early days of SNL when the cast (Belushi, Aykroyd, etc.) were introduced as the "Not ready for prime time players" well that's how I feel about the 'Cats and I am not sure our coach is the one to get them to prime time.

Comment

• I want to believe in the current coach as much as anyone. The recruiting alone has been, IMHO, spectacular.

That said, the stats given a couple times comparing Ody’s starts to that of Aziz are eye opening for me. And what troubles me most is this: if we lowly fans of the program can see it, why can’t the head coach? And if he DOES see it, what gives??

Like others have said, I’m no coach, nor am I a former player. But something just doesn’t add up.

Comment

• I hear Bob Huggins is available if we want to move on from Miller.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                            I am very rarely critical on here, usually glass half full and all that. But what is rubbing me the wrong way is seeing quotes from Wes after Xavier, Dayton talking about how *&%(% off he is.
                            On top of everything else that's been said, how about Miller cleaning up his language in public. I noticed this since day one (multiple times he mentioned how "We're going kick X's @$$"). Number one, he shouldn't make statements he can't back up, but can't he express himself a bit more intelligently? He can talk however he wants while coaching, but I think it's a bad look for him and the Program.

Comment

• "Veteran Oakland coach impressed with Dayton"

A different look back on the Dayton game. Maybe, just maybe, UD is a lot better than many on this forum think. This veteran coach sure thinks so.

https://www.daytondailynews.com/spor...CLTP4ZYZYLGGI/

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X