Kansas 1/22 9:00 ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Kansas 1/22 9:00 ESPN

Big Monday on ESPN. It's been a while. Hopfeully we can catch Kansas on an off night at Allen Fieldhouse. The crowd may or may not be a factor depending on the weather. Ice is moving in around the plain states right now into tomorrow. Usually the Phog is a death valley for opposing teams. The team itself will probably be pretty mad coming into the contest since they just dropped an easy one at WVU yesterday. Their 3 losses are away or neutral court to Marquette, UCF and WVU. UC does not get the benefit of home court tomorrow night so....

Hunter Dickinson is the new guy on campus after transferring from Michigan. Dickinson is a double double machine who pulls down 1 of every 4 KU rebounds. The guy is large and mostly immovable. That said it's hard to tell whether Kansas is a good rebounding team outside of Dickinson and McCullar Jr.. On paper the Bearcats outrebound the Jayhawks but that may be because Kansas has a better FG% and doesn't get as many offensive rebound chances. I would attribute their better stats here to the fact thay have a better assist avg as a team than UC does.

Speaking of McCullar Jr., he came over from Texas Tech after Chris Beard left for Texas. He's a great scorer and a greater trash talker from what I've seen. He backs it up as he seems to do a little of everything well. You can't foul him either, he's 85 % at the FT line. He's the guy that makes the engine go on offense.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...tats/_/id/2305

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

We need to clone John Newman. Both McCullar and Adams are 6'7" and involved heavily in the offense. I can't see Lukosius being able to guard either one. Thomas undoubtedly will be assigned to Harris.

Given that the Cats managed to overcome a great homecourt advantage at BYU, perhaps the Jayhawks can brick a bunch of shots as the Cougars did.

I perused a few KU message boards and, at least up until now, have seen almost no mention of UC. It's as though they just assume they'll roll over the Bearcats. Maybe the atmosphere will be relatively dead.

Comment

Sciambi/Bilas/Budden

Comment

ESPN.com showing Kansas favored by 8.5

Comment

Here's hoping Lahkin and Skillings make an appearance.

Comment

Funny thing about Oscar Robertson owning the scoring record in Allen Fieldhouse is that it was not against Kansas. It was against Arkansas in the NCAAs
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Stat of the day: The Jayhawks are 34-0 in Big Monday home games under Bill Self.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
                Stat of the day: The Jayhawks are 34-0 in Big Monday home games under Bill Self.
                UC has also never lost a Big Monday game against Kansas under Bill Self ...

Comment

Ody Oguama's Big 12 minutes:
                  BYU - 4
                  Texas - 2
                  Baylor - 3
                  TCU (OT) - 2
                  Oklahoma - 0/DNP

Comment

I don't like this game being a quick turnaround following the loss to OU. It has the potential for disaster. I hope CWM and staff can regroup the team and allow them to continue to play good defense. But I also did not like CWM's post-game comments on WLW following the OU loss. He comes across as angry when the 'Cats lose but does not seem to back it up. Hard to tell how they will play tonight but KU is very tough, especially at home.

Comment

Kansas is #7 in the new AP Poll

UC has lost six straight versus AP #7, including Houston in 2021 . Last win was versus UNC on December 8, 1999.

If my research is correct, #11 Wichita State in 2018 was the last ranked team UC beat on the road.

Other "recent" ones I found were at No. 13 UConn in 2012 (Sean Kilpatrick shot?), No. 18 Memphis in 2014 by 16, No. 19 Iowa State in 2016 (Jacob Evans), No. 22 Pitt in 2012 (versus Steven Adams, et al on New Year's Day), No. 23 SMU in 2015, No. 24 Pitt in 2012 (New Year's Eve).
                      Last edited by GoBearcats31; 01-22-2024, 02:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                        Kansas is #7 in the new AP Poll

UC has lost six straight versus AP #7, including Houston in 2021 . Last win was versus UNC on December 8, 1999.

If my research is correct, #11 Wichita State in 2018 was the last ranked team UC beat on the road.

Other "recent" ones I found were at No. 13 UConn in 2012 (Sean Kilpatrick shot?), No. 18 Memphis in 2014 by 16, No. 19 Iowa State in 2016 (Jacob Evans), No. 22 Pitt in 2012 (versus Steven Adams, et al on New Year's Day), No. 23 SMU in 2015, No. 24 Pitt in 2012 (New Year's Eve).
                        UC beat #12 BYU at BYU a couple of weeks ago.

Comment

Originally posted by bfcain1 View Post

UC beat #12 BYU at BYU a couple of weeks ago.
                          Haha that is true! So much for my review of the record book from before the season. I guess I would reframe as #11 is the highest road win UC has had in "modern" times / no Top 10 upsets on the road. Seems like most of their big road wins came in the 50s and 60s.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                            Ody Oguama's Big 12 minutes:
                            BYU - 4
                            Texas - 2
                            Baylor - 3
                            TCU (OT) - 2
                            Oklahoma - 0/DNP
                            Considering Lahkins point contribution last game I can see where putting Ody in for more minutes for defense makes sense. But I don't see Ody getting the three/ four block shots that Vik had either. However Ody is a better one on one defender than Vik..... This is how games are going to continue to go until we get a point guard that can #1 get the ball into the paint, #2 doesn't turn the ball over more than he has assists, and #3 find someone / anyone to take the initiative to set a pick so that Simas doesn't have to rush his shots.

Comment

Real question. Have we seen Wes Miller do a offensive/defensive substitution pattern down the stretch? I'm thinking we haven't. He'll leave defense out there but not sub offense?
                              Brent Wyrick
                              92 Final Four Front Row
                              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X