No announcement yet.

Mid/Late Season Observation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

155 is pretty lite. We have Ody & Aziz leaving-is Jamille leaving after this year? Trying to figure out if we are done filling scholarships for next year.

Comment

I specifically got out of the Kansas thread to see if someone might have started this very thread. So, thank you for doing so and for the thorough look.

I am super confused by the heavy negativity pointed toward Wes and the entire team (not from the original poster but from the board in general). As I read through the Kansas thread, I kept wondering who people have been watching, if it was the same team I am watching, and if many people had simply forgotten how far we have come. A few short years ago, we were losing to NKU. Now, we played an absolutely brutal stretch and lost 4 games to Top 25 teams by a TOTAL of 13 points. We also defeated two Top 25 teams in the process. It is absolutely true to say a shot here, a shot there, one less turnover here, a couple more made free throws there and we could be 6-0 in that stretch. 13 total points for our losses. And people comment about how we have terrible talent. We have been down at halftime a bunch of games and have come back to win a lot of those, and people complain Wes can't make adjustments. We lose by 5 at one of the hardest gyms in the land, and folks rail about how bad we are. Honestly, I don't get it. I am not talking about the reasoned thoughts offered about where improvement might come. I don't get the harsh criticism that suggests our team is a bunch of JV squad guys and Wes is a no-talent hack. This team is doing one heck of a job. Coach is giving every opposing coach headaches. It would be excellent if we had won a couple of those games, but goodness, we are a good team and continue to get better.

Comment

Originally posted by UC4me View Post
        I specifically got out of the Kansas thread to see if someone might have started this very thread. So, thank you for doing so and for the thorough look.

I am super confused by the heavy negativity pointed toward Wes and the entire team (not from the original poster but from the board in general). As I read through the Kansas thread, I kept wondering who people have been watching, if it was the same team I am watching, and if many people had simply forgotten how far we have come. A few short years ago, we were losing to NKU. Now, we played an absolutely brutal stretch and lost 4 games to Top 25 teams by a TOTAL of 13 points. We also defeated two Top 25 teams in the process. It is absolutely true to say a shot here, a shot there, one less turnover here, a couple more made free throws there and we could be 6-0 in that stretch. 13 total points for our losses. And people comment about how we have terrible talent. We have been down at halftime a bunch of games and have come back to win a lot of those, and people complain Wes can't make adjustments. We lose by 5 at one of the hardest gyms in the land, and folks rail about how bad we are. Honestly, I don't get it. I am not talking about the reasoned thoughts offered about where improvement might come. I don't get the harsh criticism that suggests our team is a bunch of JV squad guys and Wes is a no-talent hack. This team is doing one heck of a job. Coach is giving every opposing coach headaches. It would be excellent if we had won a couple of those games, but goodness, we are a good team and continue to get better.
        I agree. It has beem frustrating and all UC fans want to win. We can question coaching decisions but Wes has a ton of experience and will not be swayed by comments on this board. This team may make too many mistakes but these guys do play hard for their coach. The game at this level is faster than we can imagine against top level talemt. and do not forget that these guys are SO young but expected to play and behave on another level. I think that UC is heading in right direction.

Comment

Speaking of JJ Rembert, since he's a walk on? At the end of the day, I guess he'll be used more as a practice player? Getting the others ready and will see him early in the season if we're blowing out an opponent. Similar to CJ Anthony, that would be my guess why he's been offered to play at UC.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
            Speaking of JJ Rembert, since he's a walk on? At the end of the day, I guess he'll be used more as a practice player? Getting the others ready and will see him early in the season if we're blowing out an opponent. Similar to CJ Anthony, that would be my guess why he's been offered to play at UC.
            Nailed it.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post

I agree. It has beem frustrating and all UC fans want to win. We can question coaching decisions but Wes has a ton of experience and will not be swayed by comments on this board. This team may make too many mistakes but these guys do play hard for their coach. The game at this level is faster than we can imagine against top level talemt. and do not forget that these guys are SO young but expected to play and behave on another level. I think that UC is heading in right direction.
              It is one thing to play hard, but you compete to win by playing hard and smart. We know that the average player (perhaps not Skillings) started at least by the third grade if not the first as is common now. They played in several leagues at the same time, school, rec, travel and AAU. Those with skills have gone to training schools before HS and have had tutors in HS. The fundamentals should be there. I have experienced this type of training and the fundamentals are instilled. It isn't like the old days of just showing up for tryouts. Thousands have been spent by wither parents or by gifts. Training is a big time business. When on a good AAU team you travel across the country to play. You also join elite teams for special games. There are also the summer camps. Here in Jersey they have many. The good ones are at the Shore and we live close to the Poconos. There are many well run camps with high quality coaching. It is big business. My first grade granddaughter is starting the process to see if she likes the sport. She is learning skills and her father, mother and uncles have already helped her out. Grandpa offers advice, but I still can throw up the hook shot and set a screen. It is just hard running up and down the court. In addition to the basketball training the physical is also majored on. Thankfully in Jersey we have Parisi Speed school in a couple of locations. It is beyond the Health club although they have open gyms year round for shooting. The High Schools also have the open gyms. You play against others in the area. By the time you set foot on Campus, you have been exposed to the fundamentals. The problem is many just want to drive and jack up 3s.
              Last edited by leo from jersey; 01-25-2024, 10:35 AM.

Comment

I just listened to a recruiting an analyst. He said the major schools when deciding on who to offer, they usually pick the plug and play prepared players. The lesser school take the projects although even they have the prep work, but they have a few physical flaws. Nortce physical.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X