West Virginia 1/31 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Bad finish, missed opportunity. But maybe chill on the season is over/Tournament hopes are over comments? So many chances left against good and great teams.
    Another chance in 3 days. It will take a lot more than we saw tonight.

Comment

• I believe I’ve seen enough of Miller’s ineptitude around playing time, substitutions & defense. I don’t believe he’s the guy. He’s so easy to out-coach.

Comment

• I believe Jizzle will hit the portal after this year. What a shame.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
          I believe Jizzle will hit the portal after this year. What a shame.
          Probably along with Rayvon, Sage and Reed.
          Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 02-01-2024, 01:44 AM.

Comment

• Calmed down now. We need to win out at home, and steal a big game or 2 on the road. I just want us playing our best ball for the Big XII Tournament. Get Vic well, get CJ back and let’s see what we have. As angry as I was earlier tonight, games like tonight happen to everybody. WVU beat Kansas and Texas at home, without Edwards in their lineup, and that guy can play. We had no answer for him, we’ll see who does. Back to my normal optimistic self, knowing the best is ahead.

Comment

• Originally posted by Black and Red Attack View Post
              This has to be one of the most pathetic final minutes of offensive decision making, shot choice, and overconfidence in ones ability I have ever seen.
              ​​
              horrible defense too.

Comment

• Originally posted by sedz View Post
                Some of the ugliest offensive possessions I've ever seen at the end, but the main reason we lost this game is we had no answer for the PnR. We gave up 46 second half points, with Edwards going a perfect 9 for 9 as the rim runner. We did a good job on Kriisa, who had as many turnovers as made shots. And we outrebounded them by 8. In the first half they took a lot of midrange shots, the least efficient in basketball. In the second half, almost everything was at the rim or from three. That's not a recipe for success as a defense.

32 threes is a lot, but we made 8 of 22 in the second half. If you take away the four absurd looks in the final minute, we made 8 of 18 with our normal offense. That's 44%. So I can't complain too much about the threes. I'm more upset that we stuck with two bigs for so long in the first half, when we only put up 27 points.

The PnR disaster is very worrisome because the book is out now. Other teams that do a competent job scouting will see how bad our bigs are at defending it.
                CWM mentioned on the postgame as well. Off the subject, I wonder if he will get another scolding as he said crap and frickin twice.

Comment

• Horrible game. Stop taking that many threes. Another game we should have won. Very disappointed in the coaching. No one tried to stop their big guy. Quite frankly, that's way our big men should play around the basket.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                    I believe I’ve seen enough of Miller’s ineptitude around playing time, substitutions & defense. I don’t believe he’s the guy. He’s so easy to out-coach.
                    I don't think this one falls on CWM exclusively. It appears he has way too many players that can contribute, and his assistants are not helping him with matchups. Usually, we are down early and they correct the issues for the 2nd half. This time they didn't do a good job of that. Matchups are the key and they were exposed, especially at the end of the game. Hoping it gets corrected quickly.

Comment

• Box Score:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401603451

Quick thoughts. Vik was obviously not healthy out there and had an awful night. That's on Wes for continuing to throw him out there. I'm sure Vik wanted to play but sometimes as coach you've got to sit a guy who's not playing at 100%.

The middle screen and roll to Edwards killed us all night and we never adjusted to it. Aziz got burned on that continously and that's on the staff.

The bizarre substitutions continue. Why take Jizzle out after you build a 10 pt lead with him in? Was there a matchup issue I missed ?

What was the play to Vik in the endgame situation supposed to be? I have a hard time thinking they drew up a 3 to Lakhin there.

Another game on the road where the 3pt % was very low. We took 32 3s in that game. seems like a lot especially when they weren't going in.

Hope Newman's going to be ok. I haven't heard an update on him yet. I know he came back to the bench at the end of the game.

Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                        Does anybody know why Lahkin doesn't want to play in the paint anymore. I've never seen anyone regress as much as he has this year as he has
                        Horrible coaching. All the bigs should play down low!

Comment

• so did I misread this - ODY 1 minute, 1 block, 1 rebound, 2 for 2 and 4 total.

Comment

• In my opinion, playing Lahkin instead of Ody last night was a critical coaching error. In the postgame comments, CWM said the team had not practiced much together prior to the game. I’m not sure what that means. Players weren’t available due to illness or the practice time was limited? An odd comment.

Comment

• Another "critical coaching error" would be that UC's lone second half timeout was called with 47 seconds left, shortly after WVU hit the go-ahead three (and then Lakhin heaved a 3 out of the timeout).

WVU went on an 8-0 run--including back to back baskets inside by Jesse Edwards--before the official under 4 timeout. Then on the ensuing possession, Edwards had another dunk to tie it. ... Day Day then missed a 3, got a stop (Aziz block) but Day Day turned it over, and Edwards beat them again for an offensive rebound and layup to complete the 12-0 run. Of course, Simas came down and hit a 3, but then WVU hit the aforementioned 3 before Wes took that first and only timeout of the half.

Comment

• I agree with a lot of the points being raised here. Vik absolutely killed us. He had -10.4 Net Points from the box score. For comparison, Edwards only had 6.7 for West Virginia. Zero points, 4 turnovers, and only 3 rebounds. Oof. Aziz (bad defense) and Skillings (bad shooting) were the only other guys with negative Net Points. Newman and Ody were the only guys with more than a couple points of positive impact.

Jizzle should have played more in this game because we were facing a slow team. He's not the answer for every game though. He had a solid performance in this one with 3 assists, no turnovers, and only one shot. In general he takes way too many midrange shots to be a high minutes guy. 38% on a two is 0.76 points per possession, just awful. He's a bad shooter, and his defense isn't good enough to make up for that.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X