No announcement yet.

Texas Tech 2/3 6:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't think Lahkin has it in him to snap out of the funk he is in. He either can't or refuses to get in sync with the other bigs. He's not the player he was these last two years. In the last four of games he has scored 5, 8, dnp, and 0 points. The last game he was 0 for nine with 4 of those being trey attempts. He's wishing to play like a 6'4" guard but in a 6'11" body. I think he's intimidated by the physicality of the bigs he has to go up against in the big12. He needs to put on the big boy pants but hasn't got any. I know that's harsh but I can't believe he hasn't been benched yet.
    Last edited by Rufus; 02-02-2024, 09:20 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
      I don't think Lahkin has it in him to snap out of the funk he is in. He either can't or refuses to get in sync with the other bigs. He's not the player he was these last two years. In the last four of games he has scored 5, 8, dnp, and 0 points. The last game he was 0 for nine with 4 of those being trey attempts. He's wishing to play like a 6'4" guard but in a 6'11" body. I think he's intimidated by the physicality of the bigs he has to go up against in the big12. He needs to put on the big boy pants but hasn't got any. I know that's harsh but I can't believe he hasn't been benched yet.
      His practice habits are awful.
      My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
        I rewatched the first half of the TTU-TCU game from Tuesday night. Both Isaacs and Toussaint try to attack downhill a lot. Isaacs doesn't necessarily start the offense, but he touches the ball on virtually every possession. He's very crafty, being able to drive and pitch or keep it and use the rim as a shield off the baseline. Toussaint took only three shots but dished out nine assists. McMillian came off the bench, scoring 19 points in 30 minutes (5/9 treys).

The Red Raiders played exclusively man-to-man in the half; no zone possessions. For the game, TCU outrebounded TTU 34-27 (12-4 offensive). The Raiders aren't very big, especially when employing four guards, which they did extensively. Six players saw at least 25 minutes of action. Two others, who failed to score (two rebounds), played a combined 12 minutes. The team plays at a slower than average pace.

It would really help if John Newman can play and do so effectively. Also, Vik needs to be healthy and snap out of the funk he was in in Morgantown.
        Thanks for the report. I'm guessing their man defense is a pack line style on the perimeter with a lot of doubling in the paint, similar to what we used to run under Cronin. That can be zone-like in many ways. If that's the case, floor spacing and passing out of double teams will be important. Guards need to be looking to dish before they get into trouble, and wings should overload one side and then rotate once the ball gets inside.

Comment

" His practice habits are awful.". Whatever it is he's not earned a starting spot. I'd take my chances with Jamille. At least He would bang with the bigs the rest of the way.

Comment

4.5 point underdogs…let’s get the W

Comment

Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

His practice habits are awful.
              You have the more recent experience. Whose fault is it? What, if anything, can be done to change it. Do you see him in the portal if he doesn't change?

Comment

Newman is a game time decision tonight per Rothstein
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Looks good here https://x.com/gobearcatsmbb/status/1...A2NHZ_hNyS2mFg

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

You have the more recent experience. Whose fault is it? What, if anything, can be done to change it. Do you see him in the portal if he doesn't change?
                    These are good questions. Which leads to other questions, such as is this a recent development, or better when did these habits begin. I posted in another thread (WVU) that it seems like he resents Aziz and Jamille delegating him to the #4 and no longer being the five. I also stated that VL has not been the player he was previously which reinforced this suspicion but also begs why CWM would tolerated it. If the portal is his goal then develope JR to go the rest of the way.

Comment

I know that this is going to sound crazy, but after looking at Texas Tech"s conference stats, UC may truly have a chance to steal this one. What I am about to write is all based on conference stats. Texas Tech scores about 75 points a game but they give up about 74 points a game. They shoot about 41% from 3 but their opponents are shooting 40% from3. TT hits about 9 threes a game but their opponents are hitting 9.7 threes a game. TT is being outrebounded by about 5 or 6 a game. They play with a core group of about 6 guys and another two play about 7 minutes a game.

If UC can play some MONSTER DEFENSE against this team, beat them up on the boards, keep them off of the free-throw line, and play good smart basketball (few turnovers), UC may have a chance to "steal one on the road". Miller SHOULD NOT go with the two big man line-up in this game. If Miller goes with the two bigs tonight for extended minutes, UC will probably lose this game. This is also a game where Miller should let Oguama play extended minutes. I like UC's chances tonight, but ultimately it comes back to the decisions that Miller makes. Hopefully Miller does a go job at playing the match-ups.
                      Last edited by leeraymond; 02-03-2024, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

These are good questions. Which leads to other questions, such as is this a recent development, or better when did these habits begin. I posted in another thread (WVU) that it seems like he resents Aziz and Jamille delegating him to the #4 and no longer being the five. I also stated that VL has not been the player he was previously which reinforced this suspicion but also begs why CWM would tolerated it. If the portal is his goal then develope JR to go the rest of the way.
                        First off, he's been sick for the last three games. Second, I think you're putting words in his mouth, so to speak. I have no idea why he would go into the portal to be honest. There's too much uncertainly in the front court roster for next year. There's also some pretty serious non-basketball reasons why Vik would stay.

I'm repeating myself here from a while back but Viktor Lakhin was recruited by Brannen as a Euro-style stretch 3. That's his preferred position. UC has been playing Vik out of position since he got here out of necessity. Now that we have a true 4/5 combo with Aziz / Jamille, there's nowhere for him to go because we have a ton of depth at the 3, plus Rayvon in redshirt land.

Vik's still the best offensively talented post player we have but banging in the post was never his thing. European players don't grow up playing that way. He's not really a physical guy despite his height and size. He gets flustered in the post when he's up against someone who's more athletic than he is. I was at the game in Ft. Worth against Houston in the AAC tourney last year . The Houston post players just destroyed him. He was hurt in that game but even if he hadn't been, that type of athletic post rebounder and defensive presence gives him all kinds of problems. Part of it is probably mental at this point and that's why you see him travel a lot. He gets bodied up on the catch and tries to think and gather himself rather than flowing to the hoop like he can on pick and roll action.

I would compare the situation to our expectation of Yancy Gates way back. Huge human. Would rather shoot from 10ft. We spent a lot of energy trying to get Yancy to be something he wasn't. Same with Vik. Stop trying to force him to be Shaq and settle for Dirk. Both guys were pretty good in different ways. Dirk is something he can handle.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

And now on to Lubbock
                          Last edited by Lobot; 02-03-2024, 03:44 PM.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Vik has been one of our best 5 even in conference play. He's been better than Jamille on both ends of the floor.

Comment

Originally posted by sedz View Post
                              Vik has been one of our best 5 even in conference play. He's been better than Jamille on both ends of the floor.
                              I agree, even though he has struggled the last few games. I think Jamille needs a lot of work on defense.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

First off, he's been sick for the last three games. Second, I think you're putting words in his mouth, so to speak. I have no idea why he would go into the portal to be honest. There's too much uncertainly in the front court roster for next year. There's also some pretty serious non-basketball reasons why Vik would stay.

I'm repeating myself here from a while back but Viktor Lakhin was recruited by Brannen as a Euro-style stretch 3. That's his preferred position. UC has been playing Vik out of position since he got here out of necessity. Now that we have a true 4/5 combo with Aziz / Jamille, there's nowhere for him to go because we have a ton of depth at the 3, plus Rayvon in redshirt land.

Vik's still the best offensively talented post player we have but banging in the post was never his thing. European players don't grow up playing that way. He's not really a physical guy despite his height and size. He gets flustered in the post when he's up against someone who's more athletic than he is. I was at the game in Ft. Worth against Houston in the AAC tourney last year . The Houston post players just destroyed him. He was hurt in that game but even if he hadn't been, that type of athletic post rebounder and defensive presence gives him all kinds of problems. Part of it is probably mental at this point and that's why you see him travel a lot. He gets bodied up on the catch and tries to think and gather himself rather than flowing to the hoop like he can on pick and roll action.

I would compare the situation to our expectation of Yancy Gates way back. Huge human. Would rather shoot from 10ft. We spent a lot of energy trying to get Yancy to be something he wasn't. Same with Vik. Stop trying to force him to be Shaq and settle for Dirk. Both guys were pretty good in different ways. Dirk is something he can handle.
                                Reminds me more of the so called #1 recruit Jermaine Lawrence. At least gets within 5 feet as Jermaine stayed at the ft line or beyond. He also refused to bang and I saw smaller guys dominate him in HS. Once he got the scholarship, that was the end although many said an injury made him timid. Regardless he was timid.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X