Houston 2/10 4:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    5/3rd crowd needs to be loud, rowdy but not belligerent, and rocking the whole game. The 'cats need to be physical and make their presence known. Here's hoping everyone has come to ball out and hoping the refs call a good game but yet still allowing them to play. If anyone is due to tag a loss onto Sampson and the Cougars it's the 'cats. Is there any plans for a white, red or black out in 5/3 ?
    It is a blakc out. Also, here's hoping we are on fire from outside. We can defend. We can stop their offensive rebounding. They will still get a good chunk of points. We will need to score in the 70's to win.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

We need to make a good percentage of our shots & not take 30+ threes.

Comment

a bit off topic, but the Athletic actually had a new article about the Cats. J. Williams wrote it concerning a return to Bearcat traditional toughness. I guess K. Sampson's comment got Williams writing.

Comment

Without creating a new thread, here is a non-Houston related feature story on Simas Lukosius from Scott Springer
          https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...n/72496494007/

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
            a bit off topic, but the Athletic actually had a new article about the Cats. J. Williams wrote it concerning a return to Bearcat traditional toughness. I guess K. Sampson's comment got Williams writing.
            Here the link to the article. Nice write-up ($):

Cincinnati basketball is getting back to its roots, and maybe the NCAA Tournament - The Athletic

Comment

As we're all aware, Houston will bring the nation's best defense to Cincinnati. They are number one in overall efficiency, effective field goal percentage (top 6 both inside and outside the arc), and block rate (rejecting a ridiculous 17.7% of opponent twos - more than one out of every six shots from inside the arc gets sent back). They are also 3rd in turnover rate, forcing opponents to cough it up on more than a quarter of possessions. They are just average on the defensive glass and they foul a ton, give up a bunch of threes, and more than 63% of opponent field goals are assisted. The defensive scheme is the polar opposite of Wes Miller's style. Miller prefers to defend the 3pt line rather than double team and scramble. Houston doubles everything and prevents you from running any kind of normal offensive set. And they do it without size. It may seem like we're facing monsters, but Houston has nobody over 6'8, starts a 6'3 guy at the 3, and both guards are only 6'1. Their defense is all about taking you out of your offense and putting you in scramble mode.

Only 5 teams have scored a point per possession against Houston this year: Texas A&M rebounded 45% of their misses, TCU got to the free throw line 29 times and made over 50% from three, BYU went 11 of 13 at the rim, Texas only had 10 turnovers in an OT game, and Kansas went an insane 25 of 32 inside the arc. I think the Texas and Texas A&M formulas are the ones we are most likely to replicate. Setting up simple two man sets and getting a quick shot will help to limit turnovers. Running any kind of ball screen actions is foolish against this team. And ball reversals to create driving lanes are a high risk proposition. I would overload one side and play a simple two man game on the other side with a PG and either 1) a post up big to draw a double from across the court or 2) a 3 pt shooter in the corner who can cut back door. In both of these scenarios, avoiding traps is key.

Houston is no slouch on the offensive end either, ranking in the top 20 on Torvik. They don't shoot it very well, but are top 10 in offensive rebounding and taking care of the ball. They take A LOT of midrange shots at only a 36% clip. They put up more midrange jumpers per game (24) than rim attempts (16) or threes (22). Jamal Shead is their main offensive creator, as he can score at all three levels and dish out assists. Their bigs don't shoot threes, and though they're lethal at the rim are all very poor free throw shooters. Sharp and Cryer are shooters. Damian Dunn thinks he's a midrange maestro (putting up more shots there than from the rim and beyond the arc combined) but he only makes 34%.

I would put Newman on Shead and Day Day on Cryer. Wings need to be aware of Sharp on the perimeter at all times. Inside, we should invite the midrange shot and hack their bigs in the paint.

Comment

ESPN.com showing Houston as a 5.5 point road favorite ... I believe UC was a 5.5 point dog at Texas Tech

Comment

Wasn't sure where I should put this one but Justin wrote a UC article!!!! ($)

https://theathletic.com/5262076/2024...aa-tournament/
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

As much as possible, I believe I would plan to utilize our four bigs to get Houston in foul trouble, since they are prone to foul to begin with.

Comment

Cincinnati has not won a game against Houston since 2/1/2020. Houston has beaten UC 9 (nine) straight times. With that said, this is the first UC team since Brannen's first UC team that I think has chance against Houston. The only real advantage that UC has is its size. They should use that size against Houston. Houston's big men are 6'7' and 6'8'. UC goes 7"0', 6"11', and 6"10'. UC should use that size advantage. Also, Houston's big men are primarily paint players. They do NOT shoot threes. If UC can win in the paint, that includes rebounds as well, consistently hit shots, and NOT turn the ball over, they may really have a chance to win this game.
                      Last edited by leeraymond; 02-10-2024, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Seems to be some confusion re the channel, so I note that my Directv guide says ESPN2.

Comment

ESPN2 is correct according to the ESPN site. I'll fix the title on the thread.
                          Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

CJ is warming up.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              CJ is warming up.
                              That's good news!

Comment

Any predictions today ? For what it's worth...

UC: 74
                                Houston:71

If it plays out the way I hope, this game will be won in the last 2mins.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X