No announcement yet.

Texas Christian 2/24 3:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Only chance at the NCAA is go undefeated the last 4 games.

Comment

Someone tell me-- With all the transfers on TCU they talked on the court to each other . I won't say the obvious.

Comment

lots of things wrong obviously, but we learned lots of minutes for JJ doesn't equal a win
        WVU gave isu a game
        osu up on ou
        take our lump in houston and then hopefully put a lil run together

Comment

And Skillings may go to NBA? I don't think so. His defense is not good, too many turnovers and he needs to become a team player although he has tons of raw talent. This team has too much talent to suffer this embaressment. I have been behind CWM up to this point but now I am not sure. He does recruit. God only knows.

Comment

I just don’t think the two big lineup is effective in league games against athletic teams. All of our bigs are one-dimensional, playing two together will lead to breakdowns against good teams. Dan needs to take better shots. If he has a mid range game I haven’t seen it, and a good mid range shot would upgrade his game, by a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
              I just don’t think the two big lineup is effective in league games against athletic teams. All of our bigs are one-dimensional, playing two together will lead to breakdowns against good teams. Dan needs to take better shots. If he has a mid range game I haven’t seen it, and a good mid range shot would upgrade his game, by a lot.
              Agree with this. Our bigs are so one dimensional that even one of them can be a liability. And while Skillings doesn't necessarily have to shoot from midrange, it would help if he slowed down there and assessed his options. Passing after beating his defender but before throwing up a wild shot against a shot blocker would be a much better outcome. He rarely does that.

Comment

I missed CWM on the post game - did any hear him?

Comment

On to the transfer portal.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                    Well, coming into the season, there were a number of possible outcomes. Obviously the best case scenario never materialized, but neither did the worst. Have they been better than anticipated? No. Have they been worse? Possibly, but honestly this season has unfolded pretty much as objective observers would have predicted. Today was an embarrassment.
                    I agree with you. Coming into the Big 12 from last year's team I didn't expect Miller to get as much talent onto his roster as he did, but this league is clearly the deep end of the pool. Cincinnati doesn't have the talent level to be in contention. There is no experienced top notch point guard. James has talent and potential, Thomas is at his ceiling. Lahkin couldn't deal with this level of play, Reynolds and Aziz are limited players. I doubt any of them would start for any of the teams at the top of this league. Same with Lukosius. Skillings is a top notch athlete but not a fundamentally sound basketball player. He dribbles with his head down, doesn't see the court, and forces too many things. I don't think those are learnable skills, he is what he is. So Miller hobbled together a squad that could compete in terms of size and athleticism, but it is at a disadvantage in such a talented league. This team would have been great in the American Conference and probably would be in the tournament. In the Big 12 it is in the bottom half.

The bright side for me is I think Miller can recruit and upgrade from this squad.

Comment

• You could see this result coming eventually. UC had been so close in all of the BigXII losses. The coaches in the league are elite for the most part. They can find and exploit weaknesses in any team, and at this point of the season there is so much film on UC to study and game plan.

What concerns me is that CWM and his staff either cannot game plan or the players do not follow the game plan and he does not hold them accountable when the players do not follow that plan. Further, he seems to lack the ability to adjust his game plan when things go awry, at least during the game. He sometimes can make adjustments over halftime though.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post
                        And Skillings may go to NBA? I don't think so. His defense is not good, too many turnovers and he needs to become a team player although he has tons of raw talent. This team has too much talent to suffer this embaressment. I have been behind CWM up to this point but now I am not sure. He does recruit. God only knows.
                        I don't think Skillings would even get drafted if he came out. Or, maybe he heads to the portal? I sure hope not.
                        Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 02-24-2024, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Have to win out now. Not impossible, but if they were shamed enough today maybe they have the guts to make it interesting. The Houston game is the season now as far as an NCAA bid goes, and that’s a long long shot. I just want to see UC compete hard in that game, win or lose.

Comment

• We gave up 1.09 points per possession, which isn't great but also not terrible. It's actually better than our performance at Texas Tech, which surprised me. Aside from the opening minute and a stretch late when TCU was scoring a lot in transition, the half court defense wasn't too bad. We never did anything to stop Coles, and Miller was making some nice plays. But we contained Nelson, allowed just 18 points at the rim (many in transition), and rebounded 75% of their misses. The defense on Coles is the only thing I was really upset about on that side of the ball since that's easily correctable.

Offensively we put up 0.83 points per possession, by far our lowest output of the season. We only scored 25 second half points, including a 4 minute scoreless stretch when TCU went on an 11-0 run and another stretch where we only scored 2 points over 6 minutes (a 12-2 run). That's 25% of the game where we scored 2 points. Shooting was poor (46% effective field goals), and we didn't grab enough offensive rebounds to compensate (less than 25% of our misses) and didn't take care of the ball (10 second half turnovers). Only Jamille and Simas were efficient scoring the ball, and Aziz had 4 offensive rebounds.

Jamille was our best player, posting positive 2.2 net points and a 12.7 box plus minus (no small feat in a blowout loss). As has become a pattern lately, Ody was our best player when he was on the floor, leading in box plus minus in his 2 minutes. Jizzle was our worst player by far, recording negative 7.5 net points and a negative 14.7 box plus minus. Just awful. He only scored 4 points on 11 shots and added 4 turnovers. He's also the only player on our team who had a negative defensive box plus minus. Skillings was next worse with negative 3.7 net points. After noting that OK St was his first game with 4 turnovers this year, he made me look dumb and did it twice in a row.
                            Last edited by sedz; 02-24-2024, 08:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                              On to the transfer portal.
                              Right now, the only guys out of eligibility after this season are John Newman and Ody Oguama. Everybody else is eligible to return. We have two top 100 recruits inbound, and Rayvon makes three. Unless something drastic happens, we won’t have an opportunity in the transfer portal.

Comment

• Originally posted by longtimefan View Post

Right now, the only guys out of eligibility after this season are John Newman and Ody Oguama. Everybody else is eligible to return. We have two top 100 recruits inbound, and Rayvon makes three. Unless something drastic happens, we won’t have an opportunity in the transfer portal.
                                I'd be willing to bet a lot of money that at least one spots opens up. I'm expecting a minimum of two spots to open and wouldn't be surprised with 3.

I expect at least one (possibly two) of Aziz, Reynolds, Sage and Vik to transfer. Those 4 will essentially all be fighting for minutes at center (Vik can get some at PF) and none are in a position where they'll be willing to sit.

I also expect at least one of Fredrick and Simas to transfer (or possibly for Fredrick to call it quits or be forced out based on his injury history). Their lack of athleticism and defensive ability means their minutes should be cut next year and there's a lot of incoming competition for minutes at PF/SF, plus I expect Reed to earn more minutes than Simas by next year (he's already close because he's so much better at defense and rebounding).

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X