Kansas State 3/2 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post

I understand what you are saying but, to me, it does not look like it was a set play to Day Day, in my opinion.
    Yeah, none of us were in the huddle so we can't say for sure. We just have our opinions. This is my read:

Horns set, primary action stagger screen right.
    Option 1: Jizzle iso left to the rim
    Option 2: Day Day slip screen to the rim
    Option 3: Simas off down screen to top of key
    Option 4: Simas PnR to the right with Aziz

It's a great play with four good options. Jizzle tried to get downhill but was cut off. I think he lost Day Day on the perimeter and went straight to option 3. You can see option 4 starting when Aziz comes over to Simas for the screen as the shot goes up and all three guards have cleared out to the left.

Comment

Originally posted by sedz View Post
      Yeah, none of us were in the huddle so we can't say for sure. We just have our opinions. This is my read:

It's a great play with four good options. Jizzle tried to get downhill but was cut off. I think he lost Day Day on the perimeter and went straight to option 3. You can see option 4 starting when Aziz comes over to Simas for the screen as the shot goes up and all three guards have cleared out to the left.
      Yeah, that’s how I saw it. The guys recognized correctly and got the good shot.

Comment

You are correct , this is just our opinions and I respect yours. I still believe that SL was tbe first option for JJ. Hopefully someone can enlighten us.

Comment

and you may be right :
          "It felt great!" Lukošius said. "The play is something we run usually with a little twist to it. We really executed it great. Day Day and Aziz got me open. Jizzle didn't have an option so he waited for me. I felt some space and got it up."

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
            Only six turnovers
            SL and Newman.
            CWM in the post game spoke of how they controlled the ball. Look at who played. Of course we gave up rebounding. Even the announcers said the Cats were making the extra pass. They passed more with fewer turnovers. Who was basically running the point. DayDay helped some and he shared bringing the ball up, but SL did the heavy work. Folks we saw for the first time the rhythm and connection between SL and Newman. John got open, SL got him the ball and John finished. SLs hitting of 3 cleared space for John as John's 3 opened up the lob to Aziz .Basketball is such a beautiful game when 5 play as a team. It usually means losses when they play hero ball.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
              Take a look at the stats. Lukosius' Late Game Heroics Lifts Bearcats Past Wildcats - University of Cincinnati Athletics (gobearcats.com)
              Got killed on the boards and free throws stunk again.
              WE traded ball control for rebounds. Last night the ball control got us open looks and we sank the shots (newman and DayDay). You don't need to rebound a made shot. Now on defense they need rebounding, but our perimeter defense stopped many a shot before it was taken. It was a win. The Cats had 17 def rebounds KS had 13 offense. HOORAY BEARCATS WIN BEARCATS WIN
              Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-03-2024, 08:01 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jeff Burk View Post

I believe that this was THE key to our win and if we would have averaged this in prior games that our win total would be a lot better and we would in the mix for the Big Dance.
                The Cats had more not counted TOs: The wretched lobs to Aziz only counted as a missed basket. DayDay had two but at the end of the game he stepped out of bounds. The wild pass was to his left and the momentum forced him to step on the line when catching the ball. These were cases of horrid passing. The missed lobs to Aziz were just like TOs as Aziz was in the air and so out of position for the rebound. That added to Kansas State's rebound total. What was it 5 missed lobs and 2 made. Not good. I noticed the ball was mostly in SL's and DayDay hands and I believe the results show that.
                Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-03-2024, 08:49 AM.

Comment

Newman was our best player with 6.4 net points and a 15.6 box plus minus. He scored 18 points on only 12 shots and added 4 assists, a steal, and only one turnover.
                  Can you explain? His traditional +/- was lowest on the team (which is why it’s a flawed stat)

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Can you explain? His traditional +/- was lowest on the team (which is why it’s a flawed stat)
                    stats don't tell the whole story. He had wide opened looks due to the play of others. Most college players will make those open looks. His one turnover was because others handled the ball although to his major credit when he had the ball he had 4 assists. Stats only tell the surface layer of the game. What causes stats, in my view, are what's vital.Team and not hero ball usually is responsible for the only true stat - a win.

Comment

• Box Score:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401603505

I think it's safe to say we missed Dan in the rebounding column last night.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Box Score:

Why -- more missed shots leading to self rebounds. I was kinda wondering what the team would look like without him. Many other aspects of the game besides lack of rebounds led to loss of possession in my opinion. CWM mentioned better ball control last night and communication. The announcers mentioned the extra pass and not a drive led to baskets. Finding the SL-Newman team may have come too late, but it is right before our eyes. They play like super seniors. My hope is that the young players see what the super seniors did and the coaches use it as teaching points to the younger players. Yes, a win by a small margin, but a win. Go Bearcats.
                        PS DayDay helped big time as did Azjz,

Rayvon - are you watching.
                        Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-03-2024, 11:46 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          Box Score:

You are "spot on". I have never stopped to think how Skillings' rebounding impacted the team stats before. However, more importantly, it becomes clear that Newman should be taking most of the shots instead of Skillings. Newman is shooting an unbelievable 51% on the season. Skillings and James are shooting about 40%. and Simas and Thomas average about 35.5%. Because Skillings was out of the game Saturday night, Newman took the scoring lead. He hit for 18 on 8 for 12 shooting. Newman took the most shots of any UC player last night. Here is the funny part, Newman SHOULD BE taking the bulk of shots every game. I think that Newman can consistently put up 10 to 20 points every night if he took it upon himself to take the scoring lead. He has TAKEN a back seat to Skillings, Thomas, Simas, and James when it comes to shooting the ball.

Every UC basketball game from here-on-out should be treated as a CHAMPIONSHIP GAME. Because of the kind of effort and level of play that it is going to be required to win whatever games that remain for this Cincinnati team, Newman should become much more aggressive on offense. I hope that after the Kansas State game, John Newman will shoot the ball more. That may be one of the sparks to having a good strong finish to the season. It would be very nice to see this UC team make it it to the NCAAs.
                          Last edited by leeraymond; 03-03-2024, 12:25 PM.

Comment

• Nice win! Hopefully Skillings is only a one game absence? If we win out and win 2 B12 tournament games, would that be enough to go to Dayton?

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Raw plus/minus is affected by the 9 other players on the court. It's not a great measure of individual player performance. If Perry is draining deep contested threes or Jamille is throwing up bricks, that will negatively affect everyone else's plus/minus. Box plus minus takes raw plus minus and blends it with a player's individual stats. It's a flawed stat too, but is a better gauge of individual performance, especially over the long term. Net points takes it a step further by giving each player a share of the final scoring margin. Net points is most useful in individual games (I believe the best single number to evaluate single game performance), but isn't as meaningful over a season.

John's individual stats were incredible. 75% effective field goals, 28% assist rate, and no turnovers. So the box plus minus is saying that John's contribution was giving us almost 16 points per 100 possessions when he was on the court. If his raw plus/minus is negative, we likely would have been destroyed if someone else was out there instead. Basically, he was compensating for how bad the other 4 guys with him were playing, not hurting us.

That's what the stat means anyway. It's not the final say in anything, but it is an unbiased tool that can be compared apples to apples across players, teams, games, and seasons because the method is always the same.

Here's the full method if you feel like digging deep:
                              https://www.basketball-reference.com/about/bpm2.html
                              Last edited by sedz; 03-03-2024, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
                                Nice win! Hopefully Skillings is only a one game absence? If we win out and win 2 B12 tournament games, would that be enough to go to Dayton?
                                Not sure what the prognosis is. It's a hip problem that popped up inside 24 hours before the that game tipped. Hopefuly it' s something simple.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X