NIT picking

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by sedz View Post
    It was too early to foul. The strategy up 3 is to foul with about 5 seconds left, otherwise you're giving the other team a 2 for 1. They put the shot up before that.
    you give the foul to take them out of what they drew up, no? then maybe just d up, and foul again if enough time comes off

Comment

• Last night proved as much as ever why this team is in the NIT and not the NCAA tournament. They've struggled all season to put 40-minute performances together against quality teams.

With that being said, considering we finished Big 12 play with a 4-5 home record, it's great to see this team pull out a tough win in front of the home crowd.

If this program is going to aim to be .500 or better in the Big 12 going forward, winning tough home games will have to become a staple of our success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I saw the whole qoute from Wes just now and this might be a serious lower leg injury. We should probably be prepared for Jizzle James to go 40 minutes in the next game.
        Be prepared for SL to do more, but here is my fear. With SL having the ball on the point, where does this leave the set plays for his shooting.? This is my concern. I also believe DayDay was off well before the injury. What has happened to Newman. he is in quite the slump and needs to overcome this as a solution to SL handling the ball.

Comment

I saw the whole qoute from Wes just now and this might be a serious lower leg injury. We should probably be prepared for Jizzle James to go 40 minutes in the next game.
          We can spell Jizzle at point. Simas, Reed, Skillings, or Newmann could bring the ball up and run the half-court offense, but not for long periods. Jizzle has not been in much foul trouble, so he should be able to play 30-35 minutes.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by Carthage World View Post
            Last night proved as much as ever why this team is in the NIT and not the NCAA tournament. They've struggled all season to put 40-minute performances together against quality teams.

With that being said, considering we finished Big 12 play with a 4-5 home record, it's great to see this team pull out a tough win in front of the home crowd.

If this program is going to aim to be .500 or better in the Big 12 going forward, winning tough home games will have to become a staple of our success.
            I'd just like us to figure why we've been sub par on our own home court this seaosn. Very strange.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Next game is vs. Bradley at 5/3. That game will air on ESPN+ at 2:00 in the afternoon on Friday.

The first person to remind me f what happened the last time we played Bradley... oh nevermind
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat9796 View Post

you give the foul to take them out of what they drew up, no? then maybe just d up, and foul again if enough time comes off
                Yes, if you have a foul to give you absolutely give it. The question is just when. I think 12 seconds is too early, that's plenty of time to run an offensive set. We would all be sitting here questioning why we didn't wait to give that foul.

There have been scientific papers published in physics journals about this (this one from last month found that fouling with 9 to 12 seconds left increases chances of losing: https://arxiv.org/abs/2402.13289). It's a well worn subject by now. A discussion between Steve Van Gundy and Marc Jackson in in NBA game sums up the general consensus pretty well: "Stan Van Gundy said his own rule of thumb was six seconds, while Jackson said his was five; regardless, it sure as heck isn't 11." San Francisco's coach knows all of that too. He may have told his guys to get a shot up before 10 seconds to preempt the foul strategy. It's all very fascinating to think about, but I don't think we can say Wes made the wrong decision.

Here's another brain buster: should San Francisco have fouled Aziz when he received the inbound pass and we were trailing by 2 in OT?

Comment

• I'm excited to see what JJ can do with bigger minutes. Maybe it is ugly but the kid is still a true freshman, has been playing off the bench and doesn't probably practice with the 1st team players all of the time. Maybe we could give him a chance to grow you think? I mean name a freshman pg who has played better in the last 20 years?

I think during the offseason situational awareness should be a big focal point for this team. Think of it as an extra summer class. Heck talk to the deans and make it a class for them. Maybe call it "Basketball Situational Awareness and why Hero Ball does not work!" I won't point fingers at any certain players anymore because these are just kids all trying to do their best. It is a tough sport but as a team we have 14 assists a game with 12 turnovers. We sit at 123rd in assist to turnover margin. We rank 84 for assist per game. For a team that is close in every game this is the difference between being a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tournament to being the #1 or #2 team in the NIT. Let's go cats and let's bring home the title.
                  Last edited by bearcatrunner; 03-21-2024, 09:34 AM.

Comment

Next game is vs. Bradley at 5/3. That game will air on ESPN+ at 2:00 in the afternoon on Friday.

The first person to remind me f what happened the last time we played Bradley... oh nevermind
                    The game is Saturday.

Comment

• Originally posted by sedz View Post
                      The game is Saturday.
                      Whoops.. This is correct. I no longer know what day of the week it is apparently
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Last game versus Bradley -- UC fell 70-67 in the first round of the 2008 CBI https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/280790071

Deonta Vaughn led the way with 23 points, while John Williamson pitched in 14 and Jamual Warren 13.

UC had 20 turnovers to Bradley's 11; UC was whistled for 25 fouls to Bradley's 15 -- with UC hitting 10/17 FT and Bradley 26/31.

Comment

• Updated bracket -- Indiana State/Minnesota winner faces UC/Bradley winner https://www.ncaa.com/_flysystem/publ...?itok=RLtWeZWB

Comment

• It is clear that Simas has quietly become the team's "go-to" guy and the team's best three point shooter. This does not include Fredrick because he has been hurt all season. Hopefully in the upcoming games, it does not come down to either Simas hits a big three and UC wins or UC loses if he does not hit the shot. Somebody else has to step up. Eventually teams are going to plan strategies for defending Simas if situations like last night come up in future games. Three-cheers for Simas; who has saved UC from the jaws of defeat one more time.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatrunner View Post
                              I'm excited to see what JJ can do with bigger minutes. Maybe it is ugly but the kid is still a true freshman, has been playing off the bench and doesn't probably practice with the 1st team players all of the time. Maybe we could give him a chance to grow you think? I mean name a freshman pg who has played better in the last 20 years?

I think during the offseason situational awareness should be a big focal point for this team. Think of it as an extra summer class. Heck talk to the deans and make it a class for them. Maybe call it "Basketball Situational Awareness and why Hero Ball does not work!" I won't point fingers at any certain players anymore because these are just kids all trying to do their best. It is a tough sport but as a team we have 14 assists a game with 12 turnovers. We sit at 123rd in assist to turnover margin. We rank 84 for assist per game. For a team that is close in every game this is the difference between being a #1 or #2 seed in the NCAA tournament to being the #1 or #2 team in the NIT. Let's go cats and let's bring home the title.
                              If I recall we didn't play very many frosh at PG during the last 20 years, but Cashmere wright was better. Troy showed better ball skills as well. The thing is that the Cats are playing right now and we want them to win right now (most teams have that same desire). With the state of BB can you be sure if a player will develop on your team or transfer out. It isn't whether he will improve, it is where he is right now on this team this year and he isn't a good PG as of now. he is a good off guard. I, for one, is commenting on this year. !963 and 1999 taught me to live in the now and not the future.
                              Last edited by leo from jersey; 03-21-2024, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray - Hip Hip Hooray for SL

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X