NCAA Tournament thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NCAA Tournament thread

I know UC isn't in it but if you want to argue about who should have been and who shouldn't have been, you can start here.

I'll pick a team that should be out.:

Michigan St. - Good NET ranking but went 3-9 in Q1 games. How they got a NET of 24 is anyone's guess. All the other teams surrounding them with Q1 W-L records like that got left out. Including UC.

https://www.ncaa.com/rankings/basket...l-net-rankings

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Oklahoma should've been in. Given that UC was a 2 seed in the NIT, I guess we weren't even close even with the Net rating.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      I know UC isn't in it but if you want to argue about who should have been and who shouldn't have been, you can start here.

Michigan St. - Good NET ranking but went 3-9 in Q1 games. How they got a NET of 24 is anyone's guess. All the other teams surrounding them with Q1 W-L records like that got left out. Including UC.

Totally agree. I knew there was no way the committee would leave Tom Izzo out. It's BS.

Comment

Michigan St had two more quality wins than we did, and two fewer bad losses. Even if you ignore NET ranking, their resume is clearly better than ours. Oklahoma or St Johns have comparable resumes though, and I could have seen either of them getting in over the Spartans.

Comment

There were 200 brackets submitted on bracketmatrix this year, and given the chaos over the weekend they did a pretty good job. The only team that thew everyone off was Virginia - only 10% of brackets had them in. Texas A&M was the second most likely team to be left out - but they were included on 84% of brackets so that's hardly controversial. Every other team was included on at least 96%.

The most commonly included teams that missed the cut were Oklahoma (68%), St Johns (37%), and Indiana St (11%). No brackets had the Bearcats.

Comment

Digging into Virginia and Oklahoma's resumes a little bit, I think a few things ultimately hurt the Sooners (that will be good to keep in mind going forward).

One is a losing conference record. Mississippi St was the only at large team to get in with a losing conference record, but they played a very imbalanced schedule - they faced Auburn, Alabama, and Kentucky twice but the bottom four teams in the standings only once. Oklahoma only had to face Houston, Baylor, Texas Tech, and BYU once each. Their schedule wasn't imbalanced at the top and I think they were penalized for finishing under .500.

Second is failing to beat a single tournament team away from home. BYU and Iowa St were their only wins over tournament teams, and both were on their home floor. Their only Q1 wins away from home were over the Bearcats and Kansas St.

The other is coming up short of 10 quality wins. Most at large selections got to that threshold, and if they didn't they had some marquee wins or significantly fewer losses.

Virginia beat tournament teams Clemson and Florida away from home, and had 10 quality wins with no bad losses.

Comment

Per Jeff Goodman, referee Ted valentine will work his first NCAA Tournament since 2019

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                Per Jeff Goodman, referee Ted valentine will work his first NCAA Tournament since 2019
                I didn't realize he was still reffing. I thought he retired.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I didn't realize he was still reffing. I thought he retired.
                  https://a.espncdn.com/photo/2014/030...b_1296x729.jpg

Comment

UC's record against the field = 6-9 (5 losses outside of the field -- Xavier, Oklahoma twice, Oklahoma State, WVU)

Howard W
                    Dayton L
                    Stetson W
                    at BYU W
                    Texas L
                    at Baylor L
                    TCU W
                    at Kansas L
                    at Texas Tech W
                    Houston L
                    Iowa State L
                    at TCU L
                    at Houston L
                    Kansas W
                    Baylor L

Comment

3 seconds and some yelling later....... T
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Speaking of which how hot is Cronin's coaching seat right now. No NCAA and no Nit unless I missed something.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                          Speaking of which how hot is Cronin's coaching seat right now. No NCAA and no Nit unless I missed something.
                          Team with a bunch of freshmen. Should be much better next year in the BIG 10; maybe.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                            UC's record against the field = 6-9 (5 losses outside of the field -- Xavier, Oklahoma twice, Oklahoma State, WVU)

Howard W
                            Dayton L
                            Stetson W
                            at BYU W
                            Texas L
                            at Baylor L
                            TCU W
                            at Kansas L
                            at Texas Tech W
                            Houston L
                            Iowa State L
                            at TCU L
                            at Houston L
                            Kansas W
                            Baylor L
                            Too many losses for Miller. He has averaged 14 losses a year in his three years at UC. Miller has got to get those losses down to 9/10 a year, maybe 11, to make NCAAs.

Comment

There were many many upset winners of conference tournaments over the weekend. Those upset winners of conference tournaments were bid stealers. That messed up the chances of many deserving teams. Hey. That's life. It should be a very interesting NCAA Tournament this year.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X