Analytics

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
    What do analytics, especially defense tell us about the one and done players the past five seasons- versus players drafted with 3 or 4 years in college? It seems to me that the NBA doesn't play or cherish defense in the "younger guys with a ton of potential". I'm curious to see if what helps a player help his team win at the college level is what helps him get drafted higher. My thesis is the NBA only cares about defense outside the Lottery picks (except the kid from France whose name I couldn't spell if I did watch more NBA).
    The NBA is so different from college basketball it might as well be a different sport. With the shooters they have, screens have to be defended out to 30 ft and the defense has to scramble to cover a huge area. Length, athleticism, and quickness are absolutely critical. If you have those qualities, you'll get drafted and they will teach you how to shoot and defend. I don't think NBA GMs and scouts care much at all about statistical output in college. They just want to see the tools. We've seen that on our teams. Lance Stephenson was our highest draft pick since Kenyon, but he was worse than Rashad Bishop and Deonta Vaughn as a college player. Sean Kilpatrick and Gary Clark went undrafted. They care about a player's potential to defend the more open NBA game. They don't care if you can shut down college players.

Comment

The Pelicans are putting on a masterclass in how to defend with no bigs. They are switching everything, and the Lakers are getting LeBron matched up against tiny Alvorado, but the Pelicans are doubling to force the ball out of his hands.

Comment

As of this morning, UC is 9th in the country in "2023-24 Power 6 Production" (scoring) on next year's roster
        https://twitter.com/CoachAdragna/sta...26573838032932

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X