No announcement yet.

WVU Files Lawsuit Against the Big East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

They want to negotiate a settlement where they can get out early, and the lawsuit it a means to that end. This is what its come to.

Comment

Classless way to exit. Notice Pitt and Cuse want nothing to do with this.

Comment

My guess is this lawsuit is baseless and just an attempt to get the Big East to accept a buyout. But I can’t disagree with any part of it. This quotes are dead on accurate.

West Virginia places the blame on Big East commissioner John Marinatto for the instability of the conference.

West Virginia alleges that nothing was done to protect the remaining six football playing schools once Pitt, Syracuse and TCU left.

West Virginia alleges Marinatto failed to take proactive measures to "maintain, let alone enhance the quality of competition in the league" and the school had no choice but to accept an invitation to the Big 12.

Comment

Originally posted by Thegreatone View Post
          Classless way to exit. Notice Pitt and Cuse want nothing to do with this.
          Pitt & Cuse are not at risk of being outside of an AQ conference due to the timing of their departures.

WVU has this risk.

WVU is hoping to settle this out of court. (Will likely offer to pay more money to get out of the deal).

Comment

Originally posted by GoCats1994 View Post
            WVU is hoping to settle this out of court. (Will likely offer to pay more money to get out of the deal).
            I disagree, I think they are going to go forward in the Big12 next year and are happy to let it drag out in court. From what I read on another board, there is no appeals court in WVA so the only way an injunction could be filed to stop WVU is if it gets kicked up to the State Supreme Court. A huge time killer and not likely to stop them from moving to the Big12.

WVU is pretty much saying, "Ya we're going - go ahead and try to stop us".

Comment

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/2...0101/310310064
              IMO, WVU will lose this suit. (barring a kangaroo court)
              It's going to be a kangroo court. According to this article the lawsuit was filed in Monogalia County Circuit Court and they want jury trial.

Big East should get it moved to New York.

Comment

IMO, WVU will lose this suit. (barring a kangaroo court)
                It's going to be a kangroo court. According to this article the lawsuit was filed in Monogalia County Circuit Court and they want jury trial.

Comment

With the pace at which the legal system moves, it will take 27 months to resolve this thing.

Comment

"West Virginia places the blame on Big East commissioner John Marinatto for the instability of the conference."

Here in lies the problem, Marinetto needs to go!

Comment

The lawsuit is an attempt to gain negotiating leverage to leave the conference in stime to start Big 12 play next season. It will be interesting to see if the BEast stands ground or caves in exchange for cash.

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post

The Big East will no doubt file a motion to remove this to federal court and then change the venue to a federal district court in New York.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                          The lawsuit is an attempt to gain negotiating leverage to leave the conference in stime to start Big 12 play next season. It will be interesting to see if the BEast stands ground or caves in exchange for cash.
                          Even if the Big East stands ground, I believe 100% that WVU will play in the Big 12 next year. A court isn't going to order WVU to play against their will. The only thing the courts can do is justify damages WVU has to pay the Big East for breach of contract.

I definitely feel that the Big East and WVU will settle on a number that suits them both. It is a gamble to try and seek damages because lawyer costs can be very high depending on how long the case would drag out, and the amount of damages may be less than what could be settled for out of court.

While I think WVU's case is mediocre at best, I have to agree (and many of you have been vocal in the past about this) that the Big East, specifically the commisioner, has not been acting in the best interest of the conference as a whole. The Big East has been acting in the best interest of a few while ignoring (at best) or harming the interests of the football schools.
                          "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

If WVU gets away with it, what will stop syracuse and pitt from doing the same thing?

I think this is a good reason why the BEast will not cave.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I am trying to figure out the real reason for holding these teams hostage.

Is it for BCS AQ evaluation points?

Is it to keep the league stable until we add the teams we are looking at?

Is it meant as a deterent for other teams to leave?

Comment

AQ points travel with teams, not conferences.

The league is anything but stable with or without those teams because everybody knows they are leaving.

I doubt it, because it isn't stopping the other teams from actively looking.

If I were to hazard a guess, its merely to buy time. A conference needs at least 8 playing members to count as a conference in football. The Big East seems incredibly disorganized and surprised by all of this, and does not seem to have put a decent plan in place to replace the teams at any expedient manner. What this tells me is that the league does not know what to do, and will therefore hold off making any decisions as long as possible.
                                In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                                Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X