No announcement yet.

WVU Files Lawsuit Against the Big East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If WVU gets away with it, what will stop syracuse and pitt from doing the same thing?

This is a good reason why the BEast will/should not cave.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat22 View Post
      If WVU gets away with it, what will stop syracuse and pitt from doing the same thing?

This is a good reason why the BEast will/should not cave.
      Get away with what? Leaving? They are going to leave. Period. WVU will not be playing in the Big East next year. The Big East can not force WVU to play in it's conference. The only thing they can do is seek reparations for breach of contract.

Pitt and 'Cuse don't care because the ACC is in no dire need of them next year. However the Big 12 needs atleast 10 teams to keep their tv contract valid... hence the need for WVU next year.
      "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by cafemerald View Post
        Even if the Big East stands ground, I believe 100% that WVU will play in the Big 12 next year. A court isn't going to order WVU to play against their will. The only thing the courts can do is justify damages WVU has to pay the Big East for breach of contract.

I definitely feel that the Big East and WVU will settle on a number that suits them both. It is a gamble to try and seek damages because lawyer costs can be very high depending on how long the case would drag out, and the amount of damages may be less than what could be settled for out of court.
        You are 100% correct. There isnt a court in the country that will place an injunction on WVU leaving the BE next year. The only thing left to do will be for the court to determine what the potential damages to the Big East are for WVU leaving 27 months early.

Its in everybody's best interest to settle this out of court, and it will be settled, and WVU will be playing in the Big XII next year.

Comment

Originally posted by binturong07 View Post
          There isnt a court in the country that will place an injunction on WVU leaving the BE next year.
          I beg to differ. I found a court that ordered the words "rape" "sexual assault" "battery" "rape kit" not be used in a rape proceeding. I also found one that ordered a man castrated. Some courts are just a little bit wonky...
          "The secret is to have eight great players and four others who will cheer like crazy."

Comment

Originally posted by waterhead View Post
            I am trying to figure out the real reason for holding these teams hostage.

Is it for BCS AQ evaluation points?

Is it to keep the league stable until we add the teams we are looking at?

Is it meant as a deterent for other teams to leave?
            This is not without precedent. On Oct 12, 2003, BC accepted an invite to the ACC. But they played the 2004-2005 academic season in the Big East.

On Nov 11, 2003, UC, UL, USF, Marquette, and Depaul accepted invites to the Big East. But they played the 2004-2005 academic year in C-USA.

We want to keep WVU because it will be very difficult to add teams in time for next year, and we probably need at least 8 teams to keep our media contract. At the very least, we have the legal right to keep them, so we should exercise it in order to demand a bigger buyout from them.
            UC MBA '08
            Purdue '15

Comment

Those are not "legal" precedents and therefore likely not relevant. The conference by laws clearly indicate you have to remain for up to the specified months and pay the exit fee....The rub is that they are claiming breach by the conference put them in a bad spot. This situation could/will be rectified fairly clearly if the new teams join the "expanded" conference and a more lucrative deal is put in place. At that point, the "damage" claim would pretty much fall apart. The funny thing about all of it is that i think if once the big east expands, and if they add the schools they are talking about, i think it would have been win/win for both the conference and wv to stay put. Although we will have an east/west division, at least there is some synergy with conference members to not leave any out on an island by themselves as wv is now facing in all sports. It's hard for me to see with the schools we have, and are adding, if wv stays we are not right there with at minimum the acc in fball with some upside. I think this could prove to be very short sighted on their behalf. All bets are off if the tenuous texas/other big 12 guys start to quarrel. Wv might have had a better suit against Pitt/Syc.

Comment

Rich Rodriguez has to be having a nice laugh over WVU's actions.

"They told me, a contract is a contract."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...is-a-contract/

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
                  Rich Rodriguez has to be having a nice laugh over WVU's actions.

"They told me, a contract is a contract."

http://collegefootballtalk.nbcsports...is-a-contract/
                  And it is. WVU will play in the BIG EAST through 2013 unless a financial settlement is reached to compensate the existing schools. Why the BB only schools get a full slice is beyond me.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    Why the BB only schools get a full slice is beyond me.
                    Because it's as clear to me as it has to be to you- the Big East is a basketball first conference.

Comment

Looks like Beast has WVU by the nut sack. I'm sure if a better option comes available the Big 12 will indeed retrack the invite. My guess they will be paying the 10 mil. instead of just 5 mil.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-foo...2-availability
                      Bryan Shaw

Comment

Big East sues West Virginia over bylaws

...filed in Rhode Island Superior Court in Providence ...

It seeks an order requiring West Virginia to adhere to Big East bylaws, in addition to damages from the school as a result of alleged "improper attempted withdrawal in violation of those bylaws."

"Today's legal action underscores the Big East conference's stated position that it will vigorously pursue the enforcement of its rights and West Virginia University's obligations under the conference's bylaws, which West Virginia formally agreed to and helped construct," Big East commissioner John Marinatto said in a statement Friday.

The Big East has not yet invited other schools to refill its ranks...
                        http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...waiting-period

Comment

Looks like WVU is leaving no matter what the judges decision will be. What can the Big East do if they just leave?

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-easts-lawsuit
                          Last edited by Big B; 11-21-2011, 05:43 PM.
                          Bryan Shaw

Comment

the big east will ask for an injunction. assuming it holds, then they will have to play there or not at all.

Comment

Originally posted by coach View Post
                              the big east will ask for an injunction. assuming it holds, then they will have to play there or not at all.
                              No judge will file that injunction.

The Big East is just going to have to seek damages.
                              "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

WVU aiming for 2012 start in Big 12, despite Big East's lawsuit

West Virginia has given assurances to the Big 12 it will play in the conference in 2012 despite an ongoing lawsuit filed by the Big East that seeks to hold the school to a 27-month waiting period

Big 12 Conference commissioner Chuck Neinas was not specific but told CBSSports.com that West Virginia had told the league before and after the Big East filed suit on Nov. 4 that it would be in the Big 12 next year.

West Virginia AD Oliver Luck also told reporters over the weekend that his program expects to be in the Big 12 in 2012.

"We were fortunate to get out," Luck told the Charleston Gazette. "We got out [of the Big East] when the ship was seriously going down. I mean, only the tip of the sail was showing."
                                http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...-easts-lawsuit

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X