The next football member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
    The Big East should go after the University of Phoenix. Not only would they get the Arizona market, but they have campuses all over the country.
    That's a nominee for funniest post of the month - thank you!!

Comment

BYU is my first choice - probably first, second and third. I would try do do anything we could to get them to come over...without compromising our tv contract. I also like Air Force, but the talent isn't there...their system is what does it for them. Outside of those two, I'm not sure. I think the discussions have to begin and end with them...unless there's a surprise western BCS-level team willing to come over. I don't think that's the case though.

Comment

I think they should target Hawaii and that way they can represent every time zone in the United States.
        In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
        Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by Carin's Dad View Post
          That's a nominee for funniest post of the month - thank you!!
          No, thank you. I was beginning to think my sense of humor was so warped that I was the only one to get my jokes.

Comment

I'm surprised that no one has suggested Colorado State yet. If BYU and Air Force say no, they're clearly the best 3rd option.

ECU won't accept a fb-only invite. Their basketball is too atrocious to make up for their football (which, by the way, is no better than Colorado State's football).
            UC MBA '08
            Purdue '15

Comment

Originally posted by CaptainProbasco View Post
              I'm surprised that no one has suggested Colorado State yet. If BYU and Air Force say no, they're clearly the best 3rd option.

ECU won't accept a fb-only invite. Their basketball is too atrocious to make up for their football (which, by the way, is no better than Colorado State's football).
              Good point...not to mention csu's only real in-state competition is colorado. Whereas ecu is competing with unc, nc state and wake for.fans
              Alabama, Cincinnati, Oklahoma, Oregon and Virginia Tech are the only schools with atleast 10 wins in 4 of the last 5 seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
                The Big East should go after the University of Phoenix. Not only would they get the Arizona market, but they have campuses all over the country.
                That's an unfair advantage. Every game would be a quasi-home game. That was pretty damn funny though.

I doubt AFA, Army, BYU and ND join so I think the Big East will look for teams in bigger markets following what began with the old Metro Conference and seems to be the approach taken with the new Big East.

A few programs to keep an eye on down the road that are in major markets: Georgia State (Atlanta), UNC Charlotte, Buffalo and UMass (Boston/NE). While none of those institutions are ready to join today, they do have potential down the road.

If you're looking at other schools that are closer, I'd think that UNLV and the usual suspects from C-USA (Tulane, UAB, USM, ECU) would get consideration. NMSU and CSU might also.

None of these programs excite me all that much, but UNLV would make a good travel partner for SDSU and Boise State if that is a consideration.
                Last edited by RedRocker; 09-02-2012, 01:55 PM.
                RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
                CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by RedRocker View Post
                  That's an unfair advantage. Every game would be a quasi-home game. That was pretty damn funny though.

I doubt AFA, Army, BYU and ND join so I think the Big East will look for teams in bigger markets following what began with the old Metro Conference and seems to be the approach taken with the new Big East.

A few programs to keep an eye on down the road that are in major markets: Georgia State (Atlanta), UNC Charlotte, Buffalo and UMass (Boston/NE). While none of those institutions are ready to join today, they do have potential down the road.

If you're looking at other schools that are closer, I'd think that UNLV and the usual suspects from C-USA (Tulane, UAB, USM, ECU) would get consideration. NMSU and CSU might also.

None of these programs excite me all that much, but UNLV would make a good travel partner for SDSU and Boise State if that is a consideration.
                  I'd actually consider Nevada a better option over UNLV.
                  "Lets do 10 shots of Jose before the EKU game!!!!"

-Source Unknown

Comment

Nevada is a no. They have no market, and play in an erector set stadium.

UNLV on the other hand has terrible football, but just voted to build a new domed stadium on campus. I think UNLV would be an intriguing add, but the BIG EAST would truly benefit with the add of UNLV if it is for all sports due to the the success of UNLV basketball. This would require the BIG EAST to build an all sports western division. It would also give us fans a fun weekend in the Sin City. If I had a vote the three teams I would focus on would be the following.

1. UNLV
                    2. BYU
                    3. Fresno State.

UNLV for the reasons mentioned above.

BYU because they bring football credibility, and a large national following. Also it would not require under my plan an all sports western division.

Fresno is ready for the next step, have heated rivalries with Boise and SDSU. Has had historically good football teams.They too would not require a western division.

UNLV only requires a western division to capitalize on their basketball success.

It will be interesting to see how this all works out.

Comment

http://www.lasvegassun.com/news/2012...proposal-unlv/

Comment

It looks like a salad bowl with an awning.

Comment

Big East dead? Aresco says: 'Nonsense'

I asked if the Big East would now consider an all-sports member for team No. 14 in football. Aresco said the initial thought was for a football-only school. He also added that he anticipates the Big East will have 12 football members next year.

Aresco also was asked about the start of TV negotiations. "We have had some preliminary conversations with ESPN," he said. "We'll get into that in earnest pretty soon. We value the ESPN relationship. ... We have a lot of people interested in us, we've got a lot of different options. The thing you have to remember, we have an enormous amount of quality product. We have outstanding major markets, we have teams that matter in those markets. I like the position we're in."
                          http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...-says-nonsense

Comment

Go with Tulane. Every conference needs a Vanderbilt / Northwestern.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

Big East hung up on 14th member

The Big East is divided over whether to pursue Air Force or BYU as its 14th football member, while another option the conference is considering is creating a 16-team football league by adding Army, Air Force and BYU, industry and league sources told ESPN.
                              http://espn.go.com/college-football/...er-sources-say

Comment

Originally posted by #41 View Post
                                Go with Tulane. Every conference needs a Vanderbilt / Northwestern.
                                I second this motion.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X