The next football member

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The next football member

I'm shocked no one has posted about this one yet. Maybe I'm alone in still being excited about expansion and such.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/...ootball-member

A few of my own thoughts here, though I'm sure not everyone will agree with me. Here are the schools that first came to my mind in reading this and my own take on them. Anyone else? I'm just trying to start some discussion on a topic that I find interesting.

In alphabetical order:

Air Force- I'm neutral here. They would draw somewhat of a TV audience nationally, which is good, but they certainly aren't a power and don't "move the needle" as many like to say. I prefer the idea of Air Force as more of a fall back plan myself.

BYU- This seems like the most obvious school here, especially based on the comments from that brief article. They have a national following and people know who they are. It's not a difficult get, considering they don't have to move from another conference. Their own TV deal could be worked around still, I think. Maybe a bit of a delayed entry, like Navy, but this seems a solid get. Perhaps an all sports move? Stick with me...

Georgetown- They do have a football program and it would help the basketball side and...yeah, just kidding.

New Mexico State- Yes, yes, they couldn't get in anywhere else. I get it. This is still a real school though and has some form of history. I feel like they'd beef up a little bit with a move to the Big East. I mean, how excited would they be to get the chance? They also bring in someone much closer to Houston and SMU...and could be an all sports addition as well. I say that because it's been mentioned before that maybe SDSU and BSU want in for all sports...how about bridging the distance gap a little (BYU as well?)? Even if you don't do that, they are close enough to Texas that it makes more geographic sense than it seems. I also think the conference wants to get to 16, not 14 (more in a second). That would make them a great addition WITH BYU. Not too excited if it was just them though, I will admit that.

Notre Dame- Not going to happen, I know. That stated, would anyone actually be against them joining? Gives the conference more national attention. Helps solidify the basketball side a bit. Add them AND BYU and you bring in two schools with a national following. Yeah, it's not going to happen, but that doesn't mean I can't mention it.

UMass- As stated before, I still think the goal is 16, not 14. Add BYU and New Mexico State and now you need an eastern school to balance it out. They are in the footprint and make so much sense, but they aren't the most likely one...

Villanova- They shouldn't be number 14, but they should be number 15/16. They want to move up. It solidifies things on the basketball side a bit and really, what does it hurt? If they aren't the primary addition, then I think this one just makes too much sense.

My ideal scenario here is still 16. BYU has to be the top choice, period. Beyond that, if you add Notre Dame/New Mexico State/Air Force and Villanova as well, that seems fun.

Just my own two cents, from someone who cares a bit TOO much about conference expansion.
    Last edited by insomniaisevil; 08-31-2012, 03:12 PM. Reason: Typos

BYU has already said they won't go. They want to retain the broadcast rights to all their football games which won't happen with a Big East national contract. They've already lead the former BE commissioner down the path before laying that bombshell on him.

Pretty much the same situation with Notre Dame. You'll never see them joining the Big East for football.

Villanova would be ideal, but I keep hearing that the program is too small - stadium and fan draw. You also have now Temple right next door. If Villanova was an option, I think it would have happened instead of Temple.

BE previously tried going after Air Force and I think the door is still open if the academy decides to opt in. I think the USF is waiting to see what happens with Boise State and Navy.

First time I've heard New Mexico State's name thrown out there, but that one sounds intriguing.

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
      BYU has already said they won't go. They want to retain the broadcast rights to all their football games which won't happen with a Big East national contract. They've already lead the former BE commissioner down the path before laying that bombshell on him.

Pretty much the same situation with Notre Dame. You'll never see them joining the Big East for football.

Villanova would be ideal, but I keep hearing that the program is too small - stadium and fan draw. You also have now Temple right next door. If Villanova was an option, I think it would have happened instead of Temple.

BE previously tried going after Air Force and I think the door is still open if the academy decides to opt in. I think the USF is waiting to see what happens with Boise State and Navy.

First time I've heard New Mexico State's name thrown out there, but that one sounds intriguing.
      BYU before was talked about as a very rushed situation. It still seems possible. He does mention teams not in a conference...that would include BYU, Notre Dame, Army (PLEASE NO), Idaho (also, no way)...and New Mexico State. For anyone not following the mess in the WAC, let's just say that New Mexico State would start dancing down the hall if they received a phone call.

Villanova hasn't happened and I get the thing with Temple, but they still make sense and, if you don't remember the Temple press conference, it was stated that the door was still very open. Expand again and they do make a lot of sense, as a secondary addition. The stadium thing is an issue, that is true. There has to be a way to solve that.

Air Force does seem possible, just not my personal preference. Not a bad fall back though.

I'm personally just glad not to get laughed off the board with New Mexico State. I think it makes more sense than anyone would want to admit.

Comment

I mentioned it before and I'll say it again - ODU (as soon as their program is D-1 eligible).

Some of the best college football talent ever has come from Norfolk-Portsmouth-VA Beach-Chesapeake-Hampton-Newport News...hoops talent too. A tremendous recruiting area for the Bearcats. ODU bball is respectable.

Norfolk is Virginia's largest city. No pro (major league) franchises in the Tidewater area. Large population base. Not a bad road trip - get a hotel room for a long weekend in VA Beach, watch the Bearcats play in Norfolk - hopefully no hurricane coming up the east coast.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnFrancis View Post
          I mentioned it before and I'll say it again - ODU (as soon as their program is D-1 eligible).

Some of the best college football talent ever has come from Norfolk-Portsmouth-VA Beach-Chesapeake-Hampton-Newport News...hoops talent too. A tremendous recruiting area for the Bearcats. ODU bball is respectable.

Norfolk is Virginia's largest city. No pro (major league) franchises in the Tidewater area. Large population base. Not a bad road trip - get a hotel room for a long weekend in VA Beach, watch the Bearcats play in Norfolk - hopefully no hurricane coming up the east coast.
          The only issue here is that they aren't looking for anyone in the east right now. If so, you'd think Villanova and UMass have to be in the front of the line.

Comment

If it's not BYU or AirForce, I'd like to see S. Miss. They always seem to have a competitive program & willing to play anyone.
            Just a thought.
            JDBearcat
            RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

I think the point is to get a Western team as a travel partner for SDSU and Boise St. AFA is the best option. Problem is there doesn't seem to any other viable option except them.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                I think the point is to get a Western team as a travel partner for SDSU and Boise St. AFA is the best option. Problem is there doesn't seem to any other viable option except them.
                You don't think New Mexico State would fall all over themselves if offered? Not to mention that they could easily join in 2013, along with most everyone else?

Also, the article refers to not raiding anyone, so that means a team that isn't in a conference. There are only a small handful of those school out there at this point.

Comment

Originally posted by insomniaisevil View Post
                  You don't think New Mexico State would fall all over themselves if offered? Not to mention that they could easily join in 2013, along with most everyone else?

Also, the article refers to not raiding anyone, so that means a team that isn't in a conference. There are only a small handful of those school out there at this point.
                  I think they would fall over themselves if offered but I cant see any benefit at all from brining them in. Have not won more than 4 games in a year, combined 20-55, the last 6 years in one of the weakest FB conferences. If you are trying to prove you are still a major football conference, you dont bring in a team like that. And Las Cruces NM would not really bring in anything in terms of TV audience.

You also still have the same perception problem with adding schools like UMass, Villanova, Georgetown (are they even becoming D-1?). The only schools that would help blunt that perception would be ND and BYU - and possibly AFA becasue it wouldnt hurt or help. ND isnt going to happen. BYU is a longshot but maybe.
                  Last edited by righthook; 08-31-2012, 03:38 PM.

Comment

The Big East should go after the University of Phoenix. Not only would they get the Arizona market, but they have campuses all over the country.

Comment

Originally posted by righthook View Post
                      I think they would fall over themselves if offered but I cant see any benefit at all from brining them in. Have not won more than 4 games in a year, combined 20-55, the last 6 years in one of the weakest FB conferences. If you are trying to prove you are still a major football conference, you dont bring in a team like that. And Las Cruces NM would not really bring in anything in terms of TV audience.

You also still have the same perception problem with adding schools like UMass, Villanova, Georgetown (are they even becoming D-1?). The only schools that would help blunt that perception would be ND and BYU - and possibly AFA becasue it wouldnt hurt or help. ND isnt going to happen. BYU is a longshot but maybe.
                      I was referring to NMSU as a good secondary option. The same for Villanova. Villanova helps give the conference a little needed stability.

I mentioned a few reasons for NMSU above. Yes, they haven't been great lately and aren't a major get as the main attraction, but there are benefits to bringing them aboard, in the big picture. Not a horrible geographic fit for SMU and Houston. Brings someone from the West but not 100% off the map. A school that would obviously love to be in...and you've got to assume they'll step the programs up if they moved up. We are assuming that with other incoming schools and it's also worked with some of the current Big East school as well.

Also, the Georgetown thing was purely a joke. They place FCS with no scholarships at a TINY field.

BYU as the big get, AFA as a fallback option...then NMSU and Nova. That's just my take.

Comment

I saw a quote from the BYU athletic director in one of the Salt Lake papers after negotiations broke down last year. It sounded more like the negotiations were postponed until a later date than dead.

I went to NMSU for graduate school. Very nice school in a really nice small city; however, not a good choice for the Big East.

Comment

Originally posted by 1977 BearCat View Post
                          I saw a quote from the BYU athletic director in one of the Salt Lake papers after negotiations broke down last year. It sounded more like the negotiations were postponed until a later date than dead.

I went to NMSU for graduate school. Very nice school in a really nice small city; however, not a good choice for the Big East.
                          I remember those type of quotes about BYU as well. I still think that has to be #1 here.

As for NMSU, that's awesome to hear from someone who went there. What makes you say bad for the Big East? Just curious to hear that from someone who was there.

Comment

Originally posted by insomniaisevil View Post
                            I remember those type of quotes about BYU as well. I still think that has to be #1 here.

As for NMSU, that's awesome to hear from someone who went there. What makes you say bad for the Big East? Just curious to hear that from someone who was there.
                            It's the "second" university in a small state. If you want NMSU, you would be better off with UTEP which is 50 miles away or UNM in Albuquerque.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned ECU yet. No, they don't help the western members, but one could argue that they have the best football program in their state. And they are eager.
                              McMicken College of Arts & Sciences 1999

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X