ND to join ACC for all sports except football

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Big East hoping for Orange Bowl

The Big East makeover won't necessarily end with conference realignment and expansion. The conference hopes to remain relevant by grabbing a spot in the Orange Bowl.

“We're working hard on some access,” said an official who did not want to be identified because of the sensitive nature of the talks. “I've been talking to some people regarding the Orange Bowl. I think they're fair-minded people to gain some measure of access. Ultimately, I think we've got a shot to do that.”

There may end up being multiple partners, then, for the Orange. The Big East champion, Notre Dame and second-place teams from other conferences could be involved.

“We've got some schools close to a playoff spot,” said that source familiar with the Big East situation. “We would like to have some kind of guaranteed access … We're just looking for some way to gain fair access. There could be some different conferences and Notre Dame in the mix. We would hope we could be part of that. The conference as constituted is actually stronger.”

It should be noted that there is no buzz about the Big East from the Orange Bowl, at last check.
    http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoot...or-orange-bowl

Sound like ND through a monkey-wrench in these negotiations.

Comment

Notre Dame protects treasured football schedule in move to ACC

(Football scheduling) more than any other factor, led to Wednesday's announcement that Notre Dame would join the ACC in all sports except football, according to the source. The agreement stipulates Notre Dame plays five football games per year against ACC opponents, but not compete for the league title and play eight games, as a full member would. That provides the Irish with the firm scheduling base it coveted while maintaining the freedom to maintain a national schedule.

As for the ACC, the compromise allows its football programs access to a major brand that sells tickets and delivers TV ratings. It will also allow ACC commissioner John Swofford to seek additional compensation from the league's current long-term deal with ESPN, according to an ACC source. That deal has been criticized in league circles for not delivering enough revenue.

Previously the Irish were Big East members in all sports except football, allowing it a footprint in the Northeast, where many of its alums live. The weakening, and nationalizing, of the Big East made it easier to leave, as did former league members Pittsburgh and Syracuse heading to the ACC next season.
      http://sports.yahoo.com/news/ncaab--...3Rpb25z;_ylv=3

Comment

I was thinking Cincinnati is more of an SEC team. I mean, we are fairly far south, most of the people have twangs in their voice, and we love to put a pig in the ground as much as the next country bumpkin.

That what I think though...
        "The sea was angry that day my friend, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

Originally posted by cafemerald View Post
          Hopefully we can ride their coattails to the Big 12.
          I was thinking Cincinnati is more of an SEC team. I mean, we are fairly far south, most of the people have twangs in their voice, and we love to put a pig in the ground as much as the next country bumpkin.

That what I think though...
          "The sea was angry that day my friend, like an old man trying to send back soup in a deli"

Comment

I think our administration is tickled pink to be one of the big dogs in the big east.

I am willing to bet that we make more money and are more competitive in the big east than the acc or big 12.

Remember, you're talking about being in a conference with Texas, who spends what, $50 million a year on football?

Comment

I'm cool with a stabilized Big East. But, if we were to leave, I would rather join the the ACC or Big Ten, due to their academics. The schools in both of those conferences have pretty good academic reputations. I know the Big 10 also has academic competitions between the schools and they have shared research programs, as well as sharing library resources.

If the Big East can stabilize and we get a good TV contract, bowl alliances, etc, I think it can be a good conference.

Comment

I do not think Ohio State will ever let us join the big ten. ACC would be great as a rival for Pitt or big 12 along with Louisville as rivals.
                Bleed red and black and everything else will take care of itself!

Comment

Pipe Dream ....

Is there any chance that we get into the ACC ?

Comment

I don't see how we would be a target for the ACC unless they want to expand to like 18 teams, not just 16. Uconn, L'ville or maybe even Rutgers would be on their list first probably.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X