ACC in talks with 4 BIG EAST teams

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by #41 View Post
    Blame the alums. There are something like a quarter million UC alums and they can't keep a 35k stadium sold out. That's kinda ridiculous, if we're being honest.
    That.is.truth. We've been to the promised land yet came away with relatively few converts.

Comment

Originally posted by #41 View Post
      Blame the alums. There are something like a quarter million UC alums and they can't keep a 35k stadium sold out. That's kinda ridiculous, if we're being honest.
      Yep, you summed it up in 3 short sentences there.

And it is kind of ridiculous.

It's not just football, either, basketball shares the same problem.

Comment

Originally posted by Rational Cat View Post
        Yep, you summed it up in 3 short sentences there.

And it is kind of ridiculous.

It's not just football, either, basketball shares the same problem.
        There is a hump and I'm not sure what it is but the potential definitely is there. Think of UC basketball during the Huggins era... packed every single night. I think basketball will make a comeback as it took a while for people to get over Huggins and from seeing UC go from perennial top 10 to maybe making the NIT. With some consistent, decent performances and NCAA tournaments then I think the basketball crowds will be back. That being said, college basketball is far different than it was even 10 years ago. Now it is just frosh dream teams running things.

For football I think people are growing weary hearing about how UC will be falling by the wayside with realignment and I agree they do deserve unwavering support and we did pack the stadium for a few years... so the potential is definitely there. And whenever we bring a "MAJOR" team to town we always pack the stands or even put in a nice showing at PBS.

Comment

It shouldn't need to "make a comeback" -- the basketball is a quality program in a quality conference. If an ALUM of the school is still bitter because a head coach was fired from a president we're now two people removed from, they need to cowboy the eff up and get back to supporting the program.

You can give it a patriotic name, but it still sucks.

Comment

My UC biased strategy for the ACC would be to invite UC, UL, UConn, and Georgetown into the ACC. Georgetown would replace the Washington market and be a non-football pair with ND. The other three Big East teams would solidify the football and BB side. This would also future proof further raids on the ACC. Up to 4 teams could leave without the ACC needing to add anyone.

I would then try to leverage a possible 9th league football and 17th league BB game into renegotiating the TV contract with ESPN. ACC would need to add more money with all the extra schools.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X