Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non-football schools splitting from Big East

http://espn.go.com/college-sports/st...st-sources-say

Time to break out the conference USA decals.

UC is right back where it started. Lovely.
    Last edited by bearcatn8; 12-13-2012, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Not good. At all.

Comment

So this would be the league, right? Am I missing someone? I'm assuming Boise and SDSU don't stick around.

UCONN
        Cincy
        Memphis
        Temple
        Tulane
        South Florida
        Central Florida
        SMU
        Tulane

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatn8 View Post
          So this would be the league, right? Am I missing someone? I'm assuming Boise and SDSU don't stick around.

UCONN
          Cincy
          Memphis
          Temple
          Tulane
          South Florida
          Central Florida
          SMU
          Tulane
          If that's the case they should create a super conference of Mid Majors with C-USA

Comment

The armageddon scenario is if the catholic schools split away, and the ACC/Big 12 don't expand, leaving us in an orphan conference. Then I think you see Tuberville bolt, and the job becomes much less attractive than it is currently.

I know the prevailing thought is that Tommy Tuberville wouldn't come here unless he thought we were going to be joining the ACC, but I have never made that assumption.

We're looking at probably winning our conference (whatever it is) the next two years, with a potential BCS bowl appearance. That's all he really needs to line himself up for a SEC/Big12/ACC job, regardless of whether we make the ACC or not. And I don't think his track record really suggests he'll stay at UC for the rest of his career.

Then you have to wonder what Cronin's incentive is to stick around- it's gonna be really hard to recruit to that basketball conference.

Scary times, indeed.

Comment

If I were an independent observer who cares about NCAA hoops, I would applaud this move because it's about time the basketball first / only schools to take a stand. If this move goes forward, I could easily see the Big East basketball league picking up the likes of VCU, Butler, and Eggs-avier from the A-10. And on paper, that would be a very strong basketball league.

As a UC fan and a realist, this move will kill the Big East. UC and UConn have made no secret of the fact that they want out and will do everything in their power to make this a reality. Fortunately, UC is in great hands with President Ono and AD Whitcock so I think UC will end up in a good place when all is said and done.
              Keith Wedinger
              Bearcatnews.com Administrator
              Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
                If I were an independent observer who cares about NCAA hoops, I would applaud this move because it's about time the basketball first / only schools to take a stand. If this move goes forward, I could easily see the Big East basketball league picking up the likes of VCU, Butler, and Eggs-avier from the A-10. And on paper, that would be a very strong basketball league.

As a UC fan and a realist, this move will kill the Big East. UC and UConn have made no secret of the fact that they want out and will do everything in their power to make this a reality. Fortunately, UC is in great hands with President Ono and AD Whitcock so I think UC will end up in a good place when all is said and done.
                If we really want to be honest, the greatest leadership in the world can't make up for the fact that we have CUSA-level revenues as an athletic department.

I mean, we all sat around and talked about how great Greg Williams and Mike Thomas were, but it's fairly clear that they didn't see this coming to the degree that Tom Jurich did at Louisville.

Comment

Wish I shared your optimism. The ACC will be the odd man out when we go to four super-conferences in the near future. I'm not really that excited about the ACC.

All I want for xmas is an invite to the Big 12

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                    If we really want to be honest, the greatest leadership in the world can't make up for the fact that we have CUSA-level revenues as an athletic department.

I mean, we all sat around and talked about how great Greg Williams and Mike Thomas were, but it's fairly clear that they didn't see this coming to the degree that Tom Jurich did at Louisville.
                    C-USA level? That may be generous. I'd argue it's more like MAC level. And your point is well taken - UC is not going anywhere unless and until its revenue stream increases substantially.

All we ever heard from Williams was how committed to the BEast UC was. Obviously, with the benefit of hindsight, that was a huge error in judgment. The revenue issue has been a problem for years, at least since joining the BEast, but never seems to be the focus of the university's leaders to identify, formulate and implement a plan to address.

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
                      If I were an independent observer who cares about NCAA hoops, I would applaud this move because it's about time the basketball first / only schools to take a stand.
                      Only problem with this, is that they hold all the power to dissolve the conference...then what happens to us.

Comment

If they split and UC doesn't get into the ACC or BIg 12, I would think UC would be better served splitting football into a conference of it's own and finding a home for basketball in the new league with the old big east basketball school. Not sure of the logistics, but similar to what Boise and San Diego State have done to join the big east.

Comment

Another thought, if we end up with 4 super conferences that control their own post-season, why wouldn't the NCAA start a full on playoff system with the remaining schools?

Comment

Originally posted by Banter View Post
                            If that's the case they should create a super conference of Mid Majors with C-USA
                            This is exactly what I think happens.
                            Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

I'm sure a lot of you feel optimism about where UC will end up... I don't. I think the reason is, UC doesn't hold any power in all this - we are at the mercy of everyone else. If a conference doesn't want to invite UC, they don't have to. If the basketball only schools decide to dissolve the Big East, UC is left homeless. However, in that scenario, I have to wonder where all the money that has been paid into the conference (through exit fees, etc) goes? IF UC, Uconn, and USF are the last ones standing, holding the rope so to speak (too soon after BJ?), do they get what's in the coffers? If so, that could be a nice payday.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X