No announcement yet.

Non-football schools splitting from Big East

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really do not see how we are any worse today than last week. In my opnion as soon as the next defection occurs in either the ACC or Big12, options will be available. This is the same as last week.

Comment

Originally posted by ME80 View Post
      I really do not see how we are any worse today than last week. In my opnion as soon as the next defection occurs in either the ACC or Big12, options will be available. This is the same as last week.
      the fact our conference will dissolve.

Comment

Originally posted by Banter View Post
        the fact our conference will dissolve.
        Right - When UC is no longer in a conference, we're even more desperate, which makes it even less urgent for the ACC or Big XII to pick up UC. I'm just tired of UC getting treated like they have no value.

Comment

Originally posted by mjv780 View Post
          Right - When UC is no longer in a conference, we're even more desperate, which makes it even less urgent for the ACC or Big XII to pick up UC. I'm just tired of UC getting treated like they have no value.
          We are orphans. Need the ACC or Big 12 to throw us a lifeline.

Comment

Originally posted by mjv780 View Post
            I don't know about you guys, but the basketball schools leaving feels worse than the individual schools who have bailed for bigger conferences... it's almost like the basketball only schools are saying, "We don't have another option right now, but anywhere is better than being tied to you guys (UC, UConn, & USF)"
            Really makes me sad for the state of UC athletics. UC IS A GOOD SCHOOL! Solid football, solid basketball, good academics. Our big problem is the small revenue stream. It really upsets me that money is the biggest downfall here.
            Sick.
            Well, the BB schools have to protect themselves or get left out in the cold. Honestly, if the rest of the league demonstrated the unity they do, we wouldn't be in this mess.

Comment

Can you blame them though? Once the best basketball conference ever being watered down to conference USA? They do not benefit from huge mega-football dollars.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                Can you blame them though? Once the best basketball conference ever being watered down to conference USA? They do not benefit from huge mega-football dollars.
                So they thought Tulane would hurt their RPI? Hmmm, but they had no problem with DePaul and Seton Hall? Hypocrites.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                  So they thought Tulane would hurt their RPI? Hmmm, but they had no problem with DePaul and Seton Hall? Hypocrites.
                  Four of the seven (DePaul, Prov., SH and SJ) have been anchors for the conference. If Cronin can rebuild from what he inherited in 5 years, they have no excuse.
                  We need to take Cronin's advice and relax. Because they can't disolve the conference there is a potential financial windfall for the three schools remaining due to NCAA shares and exit fees. We could come out of this in a position to address some of our most pressing needs.

Comment

With the departure of the "Catholic 7", the Big East is now dead. Anyone who tries to patronize the fan base by attempting to state that the Big East remnants (assuming it keeps that name which is not guaranteed) form a good conference should be absolutely ashamed of himself / herself. There is no disagreement amongst Bearcat fans that UC needs to find a new conference home.

With that being said, such a change will not occur overnight. We have no choice but to remain patient. I think President Ono and AD Whitcock will find a new conference home for UC. My guess is that this will be either the Big 12 or the ACC. I personally prefer the Big 12.
                    Keith Wedinger
                    Bearcatnews.com Administrator
                    Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
                      With that being said, such a change will not occur overnight. We have no choice but to remain patient. I think President Ono and AD Whitcock will find a new conference home for UC. My guess is that this will be either the Big 12 or the ACC. I personally prefer the Big 12.
                      I think we are a more natural fit in the ACC, but you have to guess that WVU wants a team close by for easy travel. The only problem is they have to convince 9 other schools we belong.

Comment

This is from Mike Decourcy that UConn and UC are talking of a new all-sport conference that would be a combination of old Big East and Mountain West schools. Honestly, it makes the most sense I've heard of so far. You would have some good media markets, the football would be at least as good as it is now and it would be a good basketball conference.

http://aol.sportingnews.com/ncaa-bas...nt-connecticut

Comment

Originally posted by bg703 View Post
                          This is from Mike Decourcy that UConn and UC are talking of a new all-sport conference that would be a combination of old Big East and Mountain West schools. Honestly, it makes the most sense I've heard of so far. You would have some good media markets, the football would be at least as good as it is now and it would be a good basketball conference.

This is a great play by UC and UCONN to get the ACC to move earlier than they would like, or possibly the Big 12. I like the idea of being proactive, this is great to see.
                          Cpaw

Fortune Favors the Bold

Comment

Originally posted by bg703 View Post

While I agree that we have to do something, this idea still scares me. If we were to lock in everyone with a GOR, we'd essentially be stuck. I guess we are backed into a corner right now.

Comment

Big East remains after Catholic 7 leave and current expansion targets join:
                              UC, UConn, USF, Temple, Houston, SMU, UCF, Boise State, SDSU, Tulane, Navy, Memphis, ECU

Proposed new conference lineup:
                              UC, UConn, USF, Memphis, Temple, Boise State, SDSU, UNLV, New Mexico, BYU and UCF

The new conference trades out Houston, SMU, Tulane, Navy and Memphis for UNLV, New Mexico and BYU.

It appears that the new conference may only be slightly better than the Big East leftovers.
                              Keith Wedinger
                              Bearcatnews.com Administrator
                              Twitter: @jkwuc89

Comment

Originally posted by Cpaw View Post
                                This is a great play by UC and UCONN to get the ACC to move earlier than they would like, or possibly the Big 12. I like the idea of being proactive, this is great to see.
                                This. I agree, they are doing this just in case but mostly to try and get the other conferences to move. They don't have much leverage. The only leverage UC might have is if the Big 12 decides to expand....if that happens we are either a target or a target for the ACC to replace teams.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X