UC and UConn in talks to start new conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jkwuc89 View Post
    In today's crazy realignment world, regional rivalries are being thrown out the window. So, I don't think geographical boundaries will have a significant influence on where UC ultimately ends up.

What do folks think about joining two conferences? Perhaps UC basketball and the non-revenue generating sports can join the Catholic 7's new league and UC football can find a home somewhere else...like the Mountain West for instance?
    Actually for right now, that's not a bad idea.
    JDBearcat
    RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

In today's crazy realignment world, regional rivalries are being thrown out the window. So, I don't think geographical boundaries will have a significant influence on where UC ultimately ends up.

What do folks think about joining two conferences? Perhaps UC basketball and the non-revenue generating sports can join the Catholic 7's new league and UC football can find a home somewhere else...like the Mountain West for instance?
      I'd like that scenario w football independence.

Comment

Originally posted by cinmike View Post
        Decourcy thinks it is a move by UC and UConn to gain leverage on joining the ACC.
        How does that work? How would this move leverage the ACC?

Comment

Don't like it.
          RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
          CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatd View Post
            How does that work? How would this move leverage the ACC?
            If this new league requires a grant of rights for TV, etc. it essentially ties them to the conference just like the B12 did last year when it had its members do the same thing. I believe this is the case in the B1G and PAC12 too.

By doing this, if the ACC were raided again their replacement prospects have dwindled considerably and thus they may be in a very weak position, possibly weaker than this newly proposed league

Current/future ACC roster includes:
            FSU
            Clemson
            North Carolina
            NC State
            Wake Forest
            Duke
            Virginia
            Virginia Tech
            Miami
            Georgia Tech
            Pitt
            Syracuse
            Louisville
            BC

Say the B1G grabs GT and Virginia to go to 16 and the SEC grabs NC or NC State and VT to get to 16 and then FSU and Clemson go to the B12 to become the B12 again, this leaves the ACC with 8 teams and looking a lot like the old Big East.

At this point, if UC, UConn and USF amongst others are tied into a new conference, the ACC has very few candidates to replace the departing teams to get to 10 or 12. Their choices may be limited to ODU, NC Charlotte, Georgia State, etc.

UC and UConn are gambling that with this threat that the ACC will add them sooner rather than later and get to 16.
            RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
            CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

This could be a real possibility.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...5a7_story.html

Comment

I do think that separating football from all other sports may be the best option for UC going forward. Unless an invitation to the ACC or BigXII is forthcoming. Absent that, staying with the BEast basketball schools in all other sports and finding a home for football elsewhere would make sense.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                Working...
                X