Now I'm really depressed!
    JDBearcat
    RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

Yeah....not good.

Comment

It's official:

http://www.theacc.com/genrel/042213aaa.html

So, unless the ACC wishes to go 16 schools, it's highly unlikely that UC will be there anytime soon.

Comment

This is now being reported by the AP, SI, USA Today and others. The best explanation I found was on the ESPN site:

Media deal OK'd to solidify ACC
          http://espn.go.com/college-football/...al-sources-say

Comment

This just keeps existing schools from leaving. UC is still the best option for most of the conferences in the eastern half of the Country if they choose to expand.

"With the grant of rights in place at three other power leagues, if the Big Ten wants to add more schools, it would have to target schools from leagues that don't have a grant of rights -- the SEC, the American Athletic Conference (formerly Big East), Mid-American, Conference USA, Mountain West, Sun Belt -- or BYU."

Comment

You really have to wonder how this would stand up in a court of law. Contracts are written to be broken and usually aren't worth the paper they are written on. I doubt any court would uphold this if a school REALLY wanted to move. This just makes the move more difficult and litigious. Money talks.
              RIP #12 Greg Cook (1946-2012)

Red Rocker
              CoB '90 MBA '04

Comment

Dang, I thought this said AAC. Would have been nice to know that UC wouldn't be moving from one conference to the next for a while.

But to the original topic, this can only help slow down/stop the merry go round of conference realignment.
                Last edited by CincyEngGrad02; 04-22-2013, 04:45 PM.
                Not to be a debbie downer, but it's not all good attention.

Who cares. It is national attention. UC's basketball program needs attention in just about any way it can get it.

Comment

Originally posted by CincyEngGrad02 View Post
                  But to the original topic, this can only help slow down/stop the merry go round of conference realignment.
                  And this is what you want????? I was hoping for a few more moves then a hault.

Comment

I guess this goes to show that you can't expect to be in a top conference if you aren't willing to invest in athletics. The strategy of this university has been to do absolutely nothing, then hope that the ACC needs a warm body.

First of all, it means Tuberville is on the first plane out of town. Secondly, it impacts out ability to keep Mick Cronin.

Our best course of action is probably somewhere in the middle; back off of football and shift resources to the BB program.

Comment

So after heaing the news today, if you are Whit Babock, do you even give the slightest bit of thought toward renovating 5/3 Arena before you renovate Nippert?

I know the purpose of renovating Nippert would be to "put ourselves in the best position for the next wave of realignment", but if that is 10 or 15 years ago, let's be honest in that we'll be lucky to draw 20,000 fans per game for the football matchups in the AAC.

Would it be better suited to renovate 5/3 and put all of our backing behind Mick in this new conference? Just a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                        I guess this goes to show that you can't expect to be in a top conference if you aren't willing to invest in athletics. The strategy of this university has been to do absolutely nothing, then hope that the ACC needs a warm body.

First of all, it means Tuberville is on the first plane out of town. Secondly, it impacts out ability to keep Mick Cronin.

Our best course of action is probably somewhere in the middle; back off of football and shift resources to the BB program.
                        I've said this before, but Santa Ono and Whit Babcock understand that we may have to overspend for a while to enhance our program. It's real easy to go negative every time something like this happens, but now is no time to quit. If we are going to be in the AAC for awhile fine, we have to make sure that we are the top program in the league. After so many years of presidents not getting involved or really caring about athletics, we finally have a president who is determined to get us into a better place. As I said earlier we need not panic, but continue with our plan and never quit.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                          I've said this before, but Santa Ono and Whit Babcock understand that we may have to overspend for a while to enhance our program. It's real easy to go negative every time something like this happens, but now is no time to quit. If we are going to be in the AAC for awhile fine, we have to make sure that we are the top program in the league. After so many years of presidents not getting involved or really caring about athletics, we finally have a president who is determined to get us into a better place. As I said earlier we need not panic, but continue with our plan and never quit.
                          Where is the fundraising push? They released renderings and that was it. They are all talk, like the last three presidents.

Comment

It may be good news for us. It makes us an easier program to poach than the ACC teams. ACC may want to add us for the 16th team. Big 12 might come calling. If the SEC was smart, they would want a team in Ohio. Not sure we want to take the drubbings the first few years on the FB side; but we would rise.

I'm sure you are asking - why would the SEC want us? We would open up a new TV market, it would put a top tier program in the same state with OSU which could slow them down a bit; we enhance their basketball; we'll be cheaper than an ACC team. Big10 could still poach an SEC team and they would need to go somewhere.

Comment

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
                              Where is the fundraising push? They released renderings and that was it. They are all talk, like the last three presidents.
                              Funny you mention it because I just got something in the mail today. It wasn't but a few months ago in December I signed a check for the university and UCATS so it'd go on my 2012 taxes. And here we are, the ink hardly dried on my checks paying taxes to Uncle Sam and Ono et al are asking for donations. I'll gladly give just not right this second. I'd like to let my savings build up for a few months after taking a hit paying the Feds and the State of Ohio.
                              "In the morning he would read the Bible with another coach. Then, in the afternoon, he would go out and cheat kids who had probably saved up money from mowing lawns to buy those raffle tickets. That's Jim Tressel." - former colleague to Jim Tressel as quoted in Sports Illustrated.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X