Not Good

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bobestes View Post
    Criminal Justice is a pretty easy major that shockingly, most basketball and football players major in. Happens here too.
    Difference is there's never been any pretense that it doesn't happen here, at least among those who know what's going on. Not so in the blue blood rich ACC, where programs like UNC, Duke, and UVA have been held up as shining examples of "how to do it the right way". In reality though, those programs have had plenty of kids that were able to skate thru academically, while the programs continued to maintain their lofty academic image. It was a complete farce and people close to those programs knew it. They just never counted on someone like McCants airing their dirty laundry.

Comment

Here is a past article about the mentoring that I spoke of and why I am proud to be a Bearcat. http://magazine.uc.edu/issues/0413/Neidhard.html

Comment

Originally posted by vince8290 View Post
        If we can't join em, beat em. the AAC is a solid football conference

The AAC is not a very good football conference and it will show in recruiting over the next few years. I agree that AAC basketball can be decent due to UC, Memphis, UCONN and hopefully Temple turns it around. I could see Houston rising with Sampson as coach and SMU will be great as long as Brown is there. I could see Tulsa being an up and coming program.

This conference will destroy all of the football growth that we had in the Big East. I hope we can get out for our football sake.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
          It used to be an easy major. Most of the FB and BB athletes used to major in it but last I checked our CJ program is #3 nationally. It's not a "garbage" major anymore. Even the guys that majored in it way back and didn't go into pro sports at some level, ended up using it provided that they got their degree.
          I can verify that. A few friends and I took a couple of CJ classes as electives before law school - they were no joke and the students weren't idiots. It was money better spent than we anticipated.

Comment

I haven't seen this article posted in here. This one looks like a great sign for UC. Predicting the Bearcats and UCF in the Big 12 by 2016.

http://www.bcsnn.com/big-xii/777-big...n-and-usf.html
            Nate Shelton

Now Is The Time, This Is The Place

Comment

This would be amazing if it happened. However, "IF" is the operative word!
              JDBearcat
              RIP Pat Cummings

Comment

That article kind of assumes Texas is staying put. They are basically from what is disclosed the closest thing to ND out there right now as they kind of have their own separate deal within a a conference. In some shape or form, with that "division" currently in the big 12, their situation to stay put is likely centered around that reality. If Texas does/doesn't want something, it kind of drives the boat. That situation continuing to play itself out will likely determine what the remainder of the group does or has to do. Translation, it's kind of hard to plan long term if you are not all on the same plane short term.

Comment

^As we all know, none of the conferences are going to tip their hands until the ink is dry. The author listed the upside for taking UC which most of us have already said in these forums. It also sounds like USF not having an on-campus stadium is a downfall. I hope those who were opposed to Nippert being improved take note.

Comment

This is from a WVU fan site. More speculation, I don't give this much reliable credence, but here it is:

Central Florida and Cincinnati, Not BYU, Best Big 12 Expansion Candidates for WVU
                    http://www.smokingmusket.com/2014/6/...a-Mountaineers

Comment

Originally posted by cpawstoney View Post
                      This is from a WVU fan site. More speculation, I don't give this much reliable credence, but here it is:

Central Florida and Cincinnati, Not BYU, Best Big 12 Expansion Candidates for WVU
                      http://www.smokingmusket.com/2014/6/...a-Mountaineers
                      Do you really think these new tv markets plus a championship game will bring in the additional 40-45 million dollars needed to keep all teams making the same in the Big 12?

I'm all for the Big 12 going to 12 teams because I believe the BEarcats are in their top two. Whether the other team is BYU or Central Florida is up in the air. Honestly with Texas holding all of the cards, I can see SMU and Houston being picked, though neither adds tv households as UT already gets Dallas and Houston with only a few extra households added who watch SMU.

The money is not there for the Big 12 to go to 14 teams. Two new markets and a championship game may be enough to sway a new tv contract. Does anyone have any insight as to value of the conference tv deals?
                      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

The matter for a championship game is this: Do you want your conference to compete for a National Title? Yes? Then you need a championship game. No? No worries then, continue as normal. Without a a title chance, how long will any school in that conference make any money? They would become almost worthless.
                        In loving memory, I will be a fan for both of us.
                        Cody- Oct 25th 1987 to Jan 1st 2011.

Comment

Originally posted by cmm27 View Post
                          The matter for a championship game is this: Do you want your conference to compete for a National Title? Yes? Then you need a championship game. No? No worries then, continue as normal. Without a a title chance, how long will any school in that conference make any money? They would become almost worthless.
                          It is my understanding that the NCAA said that a championship game is not needed because they play everyone in their league during regular season. The best record wins! A championship game gives a second chance to teams that have a loss or two or it causes the possibility that the second place team in a division goes to BCS (or whatever it is now) because they are idle for conference title game. If a Big12 team (or two) can get into the playoff without a championship game then they are good without one. The Big 12 Championship games hurt the regular season winner more often than it helped them.

I'd bet Alabama is wishing the SEC Championship game wasn't needed last year.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                            It is my understanding that the NCAA said that a championship game is not needed because they play everyone in their league during regular season. The best record wins! A championship game gives a second chance to teams that have a loss or two or it causes the possibility that the second place team in a division goes to BCS (or whatever it is now) because they are idle for conference title game. If a Big12 team (or two) can get into the playoff without a championship game then they are good without one. The Big 12 Championship games hurt the regular season winner more often than it helped them.

I'd bet Alabama is wishing the SEC Championship game wasn't needed last year.
                            That is actually incorrect. The Big12 and the ACC have requested the NCAA to drop the rule(s) that affect scheduling so that the conference can make up their own schedules/rules and if they do or don't want a championship game it is up to the conferences to decide and who the 2 teams are that play in the bowl (this is the reason the ACC wants to change the rule).. So as of right now, the rule still stands that requires the conference to have 12 teams to stage a championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by 98bearcat View Post
                              So as of right now, the rule still stands that requires the conference to have 12 teams to stage a championship game.
                              Yeah - that is correct; however, a championship game is not required to put a team into the playoff. There initially was talk that only winners of conference championship games would be considered for the 4 team playoff. I believe that is no longer what is required of the Big 12, so they like not having chance that an undefeated team in regular season could get knocked out of playoff by losing in the championship game.

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post
                                Yeah - that is correct; however, a championship game is not required to put a team into the playoff. There initially was talk that only winners of conference championship games would be considered for the 4 team playoff. I believe that is no longer what is required of the Big 12, so they like not having chance that an undefeated team in regular season could get knocked out of playoff by losing in the championship game.
                                Agreed, apologize if I misinterpreted your original post... I think there is concern that the panel will be influenced to place a team that won a championship game in the playoff, over a team that didn't have to win one more game against the next best team in their conference, on a neutral field. I agree that losing the Championship game could eliminate your chance as well but I would bet money that 9outof10 times t a 1-loss Big10,SEC,ACC team that wins their championship game would get a playoff spot over an undefeated Big12
                                Last edited by 98bearcat; 06-24-2014, 12:27 PM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X