Texas, Oklahoma reach out to SEC about joining conference

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
    So where does this end up leaving the AAC, and specifically us? The ESPN article mentions that the ACC was planning on going after OU TX in a couple years and were blindsided by this... hopefully they move down the list to us and WVU?
    I don't think the ACC wants West Virginia unless this mess forces their hand. I think this might force ND to become a full member though and if that happens there's only one spot in the ACC for either UC or WVU.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

We are preseason top 10 in football, even with the recruiting disadvantages of being in the AAC. Honestly, the ACC really needs another good football program. Who knows?

Comment

Originally posted by Chewbacca2099 View Post
        So where does this end up leaving the AAC, and specifically us? The ESPN article mentions that the ACC was planning on going after OU TX in a couple years and were blindsided by this... hopefully they move down the list to us and WVU?
        The merry-go-round is spinning too fast to accurately predict. If OU, Kansas, UT-Austin leve the Big 12, is there even a TV contract in tact or does Grant-of-Rights end with conference ending?

I am still hopeful that UC gets an invite from somewhere, ACC most likely, Big 10 least likely. Merging with the likes of ISU, TCU, OSU, and Baylor are still feasible, but hopefully with a new contract not under Big 12 brand. I envision the SEC could move to 20 teams, adding a team or two from AAC and Big 12 remnants. Two 10 team divisions could be better football scheduling and basketball scheduling. The ACC could do same. We would get Pac - 12 invite before the Big 10.

Of those possibilities, pray that one happens,, but don't hold our breath that it happens in days/weeks. ESPN wants all of the prime matches

Outside the box possibility. Could a 20 team conference have a four team playoff for conference championship? As NW coach Pat Fitzgerald said, one thing for sure is it will be different from today. This could really crumble the NCAA. I really do have a problem with players getting paid to be play in college. My only request, make the scholarship a 3 year contract and negotiate with pro leagues draft eligibility 3 years after high school or directly to draft. For BB, many will try draft, but over time college may become better development league. Yes Football as king is driving the conversations, but this could be time to reshuffle the whole kit and kaboodle with NIL allowed.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

The merry-go-round is spinning too fast to accurately predict. If OU, Kansas, UT-Austin leve the Big 12, is there even a TV contract in tact or does Grant-of-Rights end with conference ending?

I am still hopeful that UC gets an invite from somewhere, ACC most likely, Big 10 least likely. Merging with the likes of ISU, TCU, OSU, and Baylor are still feasible, but hopefully with a new contract not under Big 12 brand. I envision the SEC could move to 20 teams, adding a team or two from AAC and Big 12 remnants. Two 10 team divisions could be better football scheduling and basketball scheduling. The ACC could do same. We would get Pac - 12 invite before the Big 10.

Of those possibilities, pray that one happens,, but don't hold our breath that it happens in days/weeks. ESPN wants all of the prime matches

Outside the box possibility. Could a 20 team conference have a four team playoff for conference championship? As NW coach Pat Fitzgerald said, one thing for sure is it will be different from today. This could really crumble the NCAA. I really do have a problem with players getting paid to be play in college. My only request, make the scholarship a 3 year contract and negotiate with pro leagues draft eligibility 3 years after high school or directly to draft. For BB, many will try draft, but over time college may become better development league. Yes Football as king is driving the conversations, but this could be time to reshuffle the whole kit and kaboodle with NIL allowed.
          I don't think conferences will go above 16 teams. Just a hunch on my part.

What ever is left of the Big 12 and AAC will probably form a 5th conference together and discard the bottom of the league which CUSA will probably gladly take back.

Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Big fat article from ESPN. Autoplay video warning.

https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...fects-know-far
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Well Bruce Feldman at the Athletic is reporting that the BIg 12 office has reached out to the Pac 12 about a 20 team merger instead of adding new members. That's not good for us at all. ($)

https://theathletic.com/2725688/2021...-bolt-for-sec/
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                Well Bruce Feldman at the Athletic is reporting that the BIg 12 office has reached out to the Pac 12 about a 20 team merger instead of adding new members. That's not good for us at all. ($)

https://theathletic.com/2725688/2021...-bolt-for-sec/
                That needs a sad button. AAC teams don't bring enough eyeballs to keep current TV revenue. I sorta get that, but also think Bearcat Nation is bigger than what most think. But a wise man once said, conferences aren't going to 20 teams...

Comment

Seth Greenberg from the basketball end of things tweets this:

The @Big12Conference will now become the old @ConferenceUSA @Memphis_MBB @GoBearcatsMBB @USFMBB @UCF

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                    Seth Greenberg from the basketball end of things tweets this:

The @Big12Conference will now become the old @ConferenceUSA @Memphis_MBB @GoBearcatsMBB @USFMBB @UCF
                    Unless Seth has been talking to higher ups at ESPN, He likely is on the wrong end of the bus
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

That needs a sad button. AAC teams don't bring enough eyeballs to keep current TV revenue. I sorta get that, but also think Bearcat Nation is bigger than what most think. But a wise man once said, conferences aren't going to 20 teams...
                      I have been saying all along that we will be left at the altar again. We have a good enough program to be thought of as being at the top of the list of programs that aren't quite good enough to get an invite to the big boy party. We move the needle a little but just not enough. Brady Quinn on the Dan Patrick show was saying this morning that everything has changed in the college football landscape so much that you can't assume that realignment will work the way it did ten years ago. Meaning that when a conference loses teams they have to keep their conference together and go out and add teams.

Comment

Lobot can you explain what the aau membership part of schools mean?

Comment

Originally posted by CincyBearcats2 View Post
                          Lobot can you explain what the aau membership part of schools mean?
                          Academic snobbery.

https://www.aau.edu/who-we-are/our-members

Comment

Looks like ESPN is behind this or helping orchestrate it. We should not be surprised. Tbh they do t like us or do it seems so prepare yourself
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                              Looks like ESPN is behind this or helping orchestrate it. We should not be surprised. Tbh they do t like us or do it seems so prepare yourself
                              No. They don’t like us. Right now they’re in the driver’s seat, but who knows 10 years from now in the post cable world.

Comment

Could I be way off base here in thinking that Cunningham caught wind of this and decided that J. Brannen was not the right fit in getting UC off of the kiddies table and was the prime reason into bringing in an up and comer coach from one of the bluest of bloodlines in basketball coaching trees?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X