Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i think this thread is a good example of why threads are closed

Comment

Well Jeffto your point just failed miserable. No one cares about spelling on an online board.

Comment

On a serious note some admins around here need to chill with the authority that they are given. Threads closing more often then not, its ridiculous.

Comment

Originally posted by TheLivingLegend View Post
          On a serious note some admins around here need to chill with the authority that they are given. Threads closing more often then not, its ridiculous.
          They are not "given" authority, this is THEIR project. If you don't like the way it is run you are, of course, free to go elsewhere, or perhaps even start your own "board," where you can make the rules (and I don't want to hear a whine about you can't do that - there are a number of other sites that guys have started - if you're that unhappy move along with your life). I am sick to death of people complaining about this, that, and the other thing concerning how this site is run. The guys who run it are doing it out of love for UC athletics, have probably a 20 year history with this particular forum and its predecessor, and get little to no compensation.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
            They are not "given" authority, this is THEIR project. If you don't like the way it is run you are, of course, free to go elsewhere, or perhaps even start your own "board," where you can make the rules (and I don't want to hear a whine about you can't do that - there are a number of other sites that guys have started - if you're that unhappy move along with your life). I am sick to death of people complaining about this, that, and the other thing concerning how this site is run. The guys who run it are doing it out of love for UC athletics, have probably a 20 year history with this particular forum and its predecessor, and get little to no compensation.
            I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but your argument (which I've seen spewed by many people on this board in the past) is, quite frankly, moronic. If we don't like something, we've every right to complain about it. Just because the powers that be can do whatever they want doesn't necessarily mean they should. This is a community, and the moderators have a responsibility to behave ethically.

Again, I'm not arguing against the moderation here, but your claim is just stupid, because we belong to this community, too.

Comment

Your right its their site, but without posters like us they have nothing. Its very clear who runs this site, and that is great, but threads getting deleted off of bias is stupid.

Comment

How is it a bad thing for posters to offer advice to admins on how to make a site better?
                Last edited by TheLivingLegend; 12-06-2008, 10:52 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by richard k. View Post
                  Amen. I often disagree with some of the thread closings but it is their site, they put the work into it, and I'm grateful that they do it out of pure pleasure and no cost to us. If I get to the point to where I can no longer stand it, I will just quit posting. And like you said, I have the ability to create my own site. It is much harder than people think and takes a lot of one persons time.

Originally posted by iamspen View Post
                  I don't have a dog in this fight at all, but your argument (which I've seen spewed by many people on this board in the past) is, quite frankly, moronic. If we don't like something, we've every right to complain about it. Just because the powers that be can do whatever they want doesn't necessarily mean they should. This is a community, and the moderators have a responsibility to behave ethically.

Again, I'm not arguing against the moderation here, but your claim is just stupid, because we belong to this community, too.
                  Sorry, but this argument is moronic. This board isn't a democracy. They own it and can do whatever they like of it. You don't have a right on this board. If they want to ban you for no reason, they can. They do not have to behave ethically. This isn't a community, it's a message board owned by a few people.

Your right its their site, but without posters like us they have nothing. Its very clear who runs this site, and that is great, but threads getting deleted off of bias is stupid.
                  I have no idea how long you have been on bearcatnews, but the site has been around for a long, long time. There are plenty of users to support this site regardless of the select few who oppose the moderation.
                  -SlM-

Comment

It was just an example, that posters make this website work, they should be able to have some input.

Comment

It was just an example, that posters make this website work, they should be able to have some input.
                      I agree, which is the point of the feedback board, but a little advice: try to phrase the input a little better. Saying the admins need to "chill" with the authority "given" and that it is ridiculous probably doesn't help too much.
                      -SlM-

Comment

You might have the right to complain about it but the concept that the moderators have to change the methods due to these compalints is what I do not understand. I would bet that the majority of these threads are closed because they always degrade into the same discussion...which are very very old and tiresome.

Comment

Originally posted by ME80 View Post
                          You might have the right to complain about it but the concept that the moderators have to change the methods due to these compalints is what I do not understand. I would bet that the majority of these threads are closed because they always degrade into the same discussion...which are very very old and tiresome.
                          Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight. But to say that we can't complain when we perceive a wrongdoing against us is a bit ridiculous. The administrators here typically do a pretty good job, but if I start a thread I believe to have merit, and it's closed, I've every right to complain because this is my community, too. Do the administrators have to listen to me? No. They can do whatever they want. But that doesn't mean they should do whatever they want. This stopped becoming their project when a legitimate community was built. It's now our project, and, IMO, the powers that be have a certain moral responsibility to not be douchebags (I reiterate, I'm not saying they WERE being douchebags).

Comment

This stopped becoming their project when a legitimate community was built. It's now our project, and, IMO, the powers that be have a certain moral responsibility to not be douchebags (I reiterate, I'm not saying they WERE being douchebags).
                            Where do you get this from? This isn't our project, we have absolutely zero ownership in this website.
                            -SlM-

Comment

Like I said, I don't have a dog in this fight. But to say that we can't complain when we perceive a wrongdoing against us is a bit ridiculous.
                              Actually I said you can complain, but don't expect changes to come when handling threads. In fact I don't remember the admins ever close a thread because some one complained.

Comment

Originally posted by SLMadiCat View Post
                                Where do you get this from? This isn't our project, we have absolutely zero ownership in this website.
                                Because without us, there wouldn't be much of a website.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X