UC QB competition

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UC QB competition

There is a new article in the Enquirer about Nick Mardner (WR transfer from Hawaii). In that article, Nick is quoted:

"Back shoulder, there's nothing you can do to stop it, especially if you get it to the point where you and the quarterback are on the same page 100%," Mardner said. "If Ben and I get that down, which we will, it's going to be hard to stop us."

Makes me believe that Ben Bryant has the upper hand on the QB competition.

Maybe Mardner thinks so, but what does Guidugli think? Ultimately, that comes down to the coaches. I doubt if anything is settled until late in summer camp.

The staff probably has one or the other with a edge at this point, but there’s still time for things to change.

Comment

I hate to see them waste the college career of the highest rated prospect in school history. It would not bode well for convincing other local kids to stay home and play at UC.
      Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 06-03-2022, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Remember that Bryant had a somewhat outstanding season against MAC opponents. Not to say that he isn’t capable, but he also left UC for a reason.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post
          I hate to see them waste the college career of the highest rated prospect in school history. It would not bode well for convincing other local kids to stay home and play at UC.
          Hank Poteat didn't pan well, but I think Evan will have a much different path. I personally give the edge to Ben because he had to be told he'd get a fair shot, plus he has a monster arm (and did when playing behind Dez). However, Evan has three years of eligibility left with the COVID year and there is plenty of time for him to shine should Ben win the starting job. Win the job, compete, and be ready to play win or lose. That is all anyone can ask Evan right now. I think Gino had a big hand in recruiting both Ben and Evan, so he will not be playing favorites.
          Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Having two cannon armed Quarterbacks is never bad. Injuries happen.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Didn't we end up playing 5 different quarterbacks during one of Kelly's seasons as HC?

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                Didn't we end up playing 5 different quarterbacks during one of Kelly's seasons as HC?
                Most I found was 2008, Chazz Anderson, Dustin Grutza, and Tony Pike. Ithink more may have seen the field in one of those years with injuries.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                  Remember that Bryant had a somewhat outstanding season against MAC opponents. Not to say that he isn’t capable, but he also left UC for a reason.
                  True but when your reason is NFL draftee Desmond Ridder, it's a good reason.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Hopefully we get a depth chart soon proclaiming the starting QB. I was in the give Ben more reps camp during Ridder's sophomore year, though I was proven wrong because Ridder just had that "it factor" to be a leader and a winner. Now that he is gone and Ben was invited back to compete with Evan, yet we haven't had a starter named shows that Evan is doing all that he is being asked to push BRyant. If they both know the playbook, execute without mistakes, and make all throws, then I have to think the edge goes to Evan because of his legs.

Either way, can't wait to see which one earns the starter role and I have learned not to question Fick's decisions. I am stoked to have two guys competing at high level to replace Ridder.

Comment

It's very unlikely the starting QB gets announced to the public before gameday at Arkansas. The decision's been made and I've been told who it is. I'm keeping my mouth shut because if the team and Coach Fickell wanted it out there, it would be out there already. Sorry about the tease but I'd like to do a little celebrating in Fayetteville before I drive home so I'm zipping my lips.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I have no inside knowledge, but I'm guessing it is probably BB who got the nod.

Comment

My Colerain sources, who have connections to UC that I do not have, have said that BB will be the starter, as CLF doesn't want a "rookie" starting under all that pressure in a huge, packed SEC stadium.

B.C.
                          Last edited by Bearcat Chris; 08-26-2022, 08:28 AM.
                          "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                            My Colerain sources, who have connections to UC that I do not have, have said that BB will be the starter, as CLF doesn't want a "rookie" starting under all that pressure in a huge, packed SEC stadium.

B.C.
                            I have absolutely NO "inside" information, but for several reasons "that is only logical."

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

B.C.
                              Do your Colerain sources have an explanation for the collapse of the Cardinals' football program?

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X