No announcement yet.

Transfer portal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• On3 is stating that 1325 players went into the portal during the past portal window.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Miami U OL Rusty Feth (Colerain) in the portal and both Justin Williams and Bearcat Journal are saying to "keep an eye on" this one. So sounds like he's announcing for UC pretty soon. 4-year starter and 2nd team all-MAC.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        On3 is stating that 1325 players went into the portal during the past portal window.
        The Athletic reported around 1000 players signed, with nearly 1500 in the portal. Either way, that is a lot of kids possibly no longer having a scholarship to continue their education.
        Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

The Athletic reported around 1000 players signed, with nearly 1500 in the portal. Either way, that is a lot of kids possibly no longer having a scholarship to continue their education.
          True, but it's their own choice.

Comment

• Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

True, but it's their own choice.
            Yeah, I get it and hope many will still sign with another school. I also think it will get better after the last class allowed to use the COVID exemption graduates. Right now, there are more players available at every level and the scholarship limits didn't change. This limits the number of high school players who will get an offer and the number of transfers who will find a landing spot. Now, if we can just put better rules on NIL to allow players to maximize worth while penalizing/stopping pay-4-play
            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

Yeah, I get it and hope many will still sign with another school. I also think it will get better after the last class allowed to use the COVID exemption graduates. Right now, there are more players available at every level and the scholarship limits didn't change. This limits the number of high school players who will get an offer and the number of transfers who will find a landing spot. Now, if we can just put better rules on NIL to allow players to maximize worth while penalizing/stopping pay-4-play
              Not sure it limits high school players. Opening at one school and a used scholarship at another.

Comment

• No, Red and Black is exactly right. Transfers don't impact HS player scholly availability but the extra years for covid and graduates certainly does. If guys stay another year or two, there are that many scholarships not available for HS kids. The scholarship limit didn't change but if the guys who have them dont give them up then they cant be reassigned. We should be about thru that but when this crap started, about 1500 new kids didnt get schollys that otherwise would have.

Comment

• The players who are seniors, either true or redshirt, this season should be the last class that this will affect. Those players are eligible for an en extra year. But, as I understand the rule it is the university’s option to ask for that extra year.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                    No, Red and Black is exactly right. Transfers don't impact HS player scholly availability but the extra years for covid and graduates certainly does. If guys stay another year or two, there are that many scholarships not available for HS kids. The scholarship limit didn't change but if the guys who have them dont give them up then they cant be reassigned. We should be about thru that but when this crap started, about 1500 new kids didnt get schollys that otherwise would have.
                    I was only referring to the portal. Yes, the Covid extra year does.

Comment

• We are in agreement and we have only been marginally successful in picking up portal guys although I must say we have at least picked up equal or better value to what we have lost. Eason was really the only major hit.
                      Can't wait for the covid year to go away. Have no idea who will even be on our team next year.
                      Water over the dam and its next to impossible to take entitlements back, but there must be portal limits and rules put in place and definitely some financial limits on NIL deals. Pay for play is just wrong. This started as the players are entitled to be compensated for their images and receive some stipend to support their needs and help their families, and has exploded into a full scale bidding war with no limits. They are not employees of the universities but are the beneficiaries of hundreds of thousands of dollars of education that must me factored in.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                        We are in agreement and we have only been marginally successful in picking up portal guys although I must say we have at least picked up equal or better value to what we have lost. Eason was really the only major hit.
                        Can't wait for the covid year to go away. Have no idea who will even be on our team next year.
                        Water over the dam and its next to impossible to take entitlements back, but there must be portal limits and rules put in place and definitely some financial limits on NIL deals. Pay for play is just wrong. This started as the players are entitled to be compensated for their images and receive some stipend to support their needs and help their families, and has exploded into a full scale bidding war with no limits. They are not employees of the universities but are the beneficiaries of hundreds of thousands of dollars of education that must me factored in.
                        Couldn't agree more. I'm almost to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing another major split with the top 30 or so schools going and doing their own semi-pro type of system and let college football get back more to what it used to be. I agree that there needs to be stipends and also some form of pay for NIL. But when recruits are committing based on 13 million dollar NIL deals and then backing out when it falls through, that's insanity. The worst part is that so many of these kids will be influenced poorly and think they've arrived with a much smaller NIL deal and then fall through the cracks because they lose themselves. Hopefully someone or something gets this under control. It's become the wild west right now.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcatdave72 View Post

Couldn't agree more. I'm almost to the point that I wouldn't mind seeing another major split with the top 30 or so schools going and doing their own semi-pro type of system and let college football get back more to what it used to be. I agree that there needs to be stipends and also some form of pay for NIL. But when recruits are committing based on 13 million dollar NIL deals and then backing out when it falls through, that's insanity. The worst part is that so many of these kids will be influenced poorly and think they've arrived with a much smaller NIL deal and then fall through the cracks because they lose themselves. Hopefully someone or something gets this under control. It's become the wild west right now.
                          One way to police the NIL mess is for schools to set up their NIL combines, but officials are afraid of appearing to "pay" their athletes. College athletics are headed for something. Something probably better for bigger budgets, as usual.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                            Miami U OL Rusty Feth (Colerain) in the portal and both Justin Williams and Bearcat Journal are saying to "keep an eye on" this one. So sounds like he's announcing for UC pretty soon. 4-year starter and 2nd team all-MAC.
                            Absolutely pick up Rusty Feth. Another Colerain stud. Huge. Had a bad senior year because of torn ACL. Would be an immediate impact player.

B.C.

"A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

• 2 star coming out of high school plus injury last year. not sure how that equates to an impact player at our level (other than Colerain ties of course) but I hope you are right. He made an official visit to Iowa but thats all i have seen, Anything new?

Comment

• The Pace brothers gave the transfer announcement the "eyes emoji" treatment so I think Deshawn is on board with getting him here. Plus, we need depth at OL. He's picking up WVU and Purdue offers so obviously someone thinks he can play a level up from Miami.
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X