Transfer portal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

Dumbest idea ever. He’s an idea, coach and develop him as a QB.

I remember warren moon, setting passing records at the University of Washington. He had to go to Canada for 10 years before getting an opportunity to play in the NFL.

Here’s a partial list of black QBs who were told they should play another position: Desmond Ridder, Warren Moon, Dante Culpepper, Randall Cunningham, Kordell Stewart, Donovan McNabb, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, Steve McNair was recruited by Mississippi State play running back. He went to Alcorn State, and got drafted in the first round of the NFL as a quarterback.
    Thanks, CB. All good points by you, and I would love for Evan to develop as a QB here at UC.

My comment/dumb idea was within the context of UC losing every single WR that saw any real playing time before the bowl game. Add in that I don't personally envision Evan as QB1 heading into next year (and the high transfer rate of QBs in college football), just thinking about the best path forward for Evan to see the field next year in Cincinnati if the since-signed Emory Jones and potentially others keep him from the starting spot. I don't make that comment if all the UC WRs with eligibility stuck around and they didn't lose commits like Malik Elzy.

Anyways, I know it was largely injury-related, but Braxton Miller from OSU was a pretty legit player as a senior when he moved away from the QB spot.

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Thanks, CB. All good points by you, and I would love for Evan to develop as a QB here at UC.

My comment/dumb idea was within the context of UC losing every single WR that saw any real playing time before the bowl game. Add in that I don't personally envision Evan as QB1 heading into next year (and the high transfer rate of QBs in college football), just thinking about the best path forward for Evan to see the field next year in Cincinnati if the since-signed Emory Jones and potentially others keep him from the starting spot. I don't make that comment if all the UC WRs with eligibility stuck around and they didn't lose commits like Malik Elzy.

Anyways, I know it was largely injury-related, but Braxton Miller from OSU was a pretty legit player as a senior when he moved away from the QB spot.
      Speaking of which, Elzy has yet to commit anywhere. Today's the last day I believe in the early window.
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I remember warren moon, setting passing records at the University of Washington. He had to go to Canada for 10 years before getting an opportunity to play in the NFL.

Here’s a partial list of black QBs who were told they should play another position: Desmond Ridder, Warren Moon, Dante Culpepper, Randall Cunningham, Kordell Stewart, Donovan McNabb, Jalen Hurts, Kyler Murray, Lamar Jackson, Steve McNair was recruited by Mississippi State play running back. He went to Alcorn State, and got drafted in the first round of the NFL as a quarterback.
        I took it somewhat as a compliment to Evan. Lord I KNOW it was not racially motivated. I also think your list of players offered to move to other positions is somewhat of a compliment. Somebody thought enough of their athleticism to do everything possible to get them on the field, even if it meant another position. Some are late QB bloomers, some were stuck behind other guys viewed as more talented, some were just plain misevaluated. Most white QBs that don't start just rot on the bench and rarely are invited to try another position. Again, the fact that Evan is black is totally irrelevant. Hes an athlete and at this point either not our future QB or hes still developing. I would much rather see him given a shot at WR than see him transfer. The comment was harmless and well intended. There will have been a lot of different coaches watching and evaluating Evan so I trust they will do whats best for him and the team. I have to believe that Ficks staff and Satts staff combined will get it right.

Comment

• Travis Kelce may wind up being the greatest tight end ever and certainly a hall of famer. Didn't he come to UC as a quarterback? Sometimes it happens for the good.

Comment

• Blue Smith has entered the portal
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Why are you making this about race? It was an honest idea to utilize Prater's talents. He"s not the first QB to switch positions....black or white. Quit making something out of it where nothing was intended.
              Last edited by Oldtimer_UC_fan; 12-23-2022, 10:58 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                Blue Smith has entered the portal
                Has every WR either transferred or entered the draft? This is hard to take.

Comment

• Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

This is quite bizarre. You would think guys would see great opportunity for playing time. Does this somehow reflect our expected scheme of more emphasis on a running quarterback than a passing attack?

Comment

• Marlin Briscoe broke the so-called NFL QB color line back in 1968. UC had a black QB Brig Owens that was turned into a DB in the NFL, but that was in 1965 almost 60 years ago. BTW Brig was recruited from the JC ranks to play QB at UC. Yes, there are still racial conflicts, but for the most part a winning team comes first. I don't think the post was racial, but a way to get EP on the field, help the cats as it seems he has been recruited over. Some people think there was a case of reverse discrimination a few years ago at tOSU. Haskins was a very good college QB, but Joey B. has proven to be both a good college player and a great pro. I think Haskins fit Meyer's style of play better so that is why. I would say you can't argue with the results, but Joey won the Heisman and the NC.
                    Last edited by leo from jersey; 12-24-2022, 09:26 AM.

Comment

• The point was Prater needs to be on the field due to his tremendous athletic ability. In a very small sample size (two games - one with little time and the other half the offense not available) and his performance as a QB in them, it does not appear to be at QB. But if he could play another position I believe he can help the team succeed. Some of his best plays were when he had to improvise and use his elusiveness to keep plays alive.

Comment

Does seem that way. I went to the roster and half the receiving corps is gone either to the portal or NFL draft. We're currently down to 7 receivers on the roster and some of them are walk ons. We're going to have to hit the portal hard here.
                        Brent Wyrick
                        92 Final Four Front Row
                        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• An interesting note about Marlin Briscoe. He started his NFL career as a DB, but due to an injury to the starting QB, Marlin became the first starting black QB in the NFL. Things were changing 55 years ago.

Comment

• You would think that the wide receivers would be interested in staying at UC since we have an offensive minded HC.

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
                              You would think that the wide receivers would be interested in staying at UC since we have an offensive minded HC.
                              Bingo! With the new coach and offensive philosophy and the addition of a qb who, while apparently having some running ability, appears to be able to throw the ball as well, you really have to wonder what went on in the receivers room.

Comment

The point was Prater needs to be on the field due to his tremendous athletic ability. In a very small sample size (two games - one with little time and the other half the offense not available) and his performance as a QB in them, it does not appear to be at QB. But if he could play another position I believe he can help the team succeed. Some of his best plays were when he had to improvise and use his elusiveness to keep plays alive.
                                Right, not enough to see either way. Obviously it would have been great if he had lit it up and seized the job. He still has the tools, and should compete to be the starter. Interesting spring camp ahead.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X