Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Some Rambling Thoughts About College FB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SKell82155 View Post
    Leo- Purcell grad ?
    Purcell, 1967 here.

Comment

I remember the twins playing back then for the cavs- can't remember their names.
      were they the Browns?????????????????
      Last edited by leo from jersey; 12-07-2022, 04:07 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Purcell, 1967 here.
        we hung out with a bunch of Marian girls due to one of them moving to what they called the country (Anderson Township).

Comment

Originally posted by Oldtimer_UC_fan View Post

Purcell, 1967 here.
          Hey Oldtimer lol- I play in a golf league with 95%
          Purcell alum. Good guys !

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
            I remember the twins playing back then for the cavs- can't remember their names.
            were they the Browns?????????????????
            I graduated with the Brown twins.

Comment

Originally posted by SKell82155 View Post

Hey Oldtimer lol- I play in a golf league with 95%
              Purcell alum. Good guys !
              We had a pretty good golf team back then.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
                All of the developments in the past couple weeks have made me, for the first time, really begin to lose interest in college FB, and not look forward to the bowl game or next year. Let's review how crazy things have gotten....

1. St. Luke signs a 7 year extension, then bolts after one year for $3 million more. I thought he "walked on water", but it turns out he is just another huckster.

2. Showmen like Dion Sanders take center stage, and he will leave Colorado as quick as he got there, as soon as somebody offers him more $$.

3. The portal, what a joke. 1000 players are in it now. Two of our best players, Coe and Renfro are history, and more to follow. Some players have played at 3 different schools.

4. 8 UC recruits have changed their minds. Going into the BIG 12... what a time to have a weak recruiting class.

5. Constant haggling over Conference makeup. Now the California Board of Regents plans on blocking UCLA from going to the Big 10

6. NIL... you haven't seen nothing yet. Give it five years, and only schools w/ serious BIG money will be able to compete.

7. ESPN's complete control over TV schedules and bowl games.

The list could go on and on. I do fear though that we are approaching a tipping point, where the sport we all loved has become nothing but a self interest, money enterprise.

Your thoughts? Please give me some hope!

B.C.
                Agreed with everything you said here. It's almost like someone is trying to purposely destroy college sports. Rivalries are dead. Team camaraderie is dead. Tradition is dead. I'm starting to lose my interest in what was once the pageantry of the sport, because it no longer looks or feels the same.

Comment

BC,
                  I spent much of the past 9 days or so being right where you are. It was depressing. I even stopped reading this board for a few days because I needed to untangle myself from the whole thing. I was too wrapped up in it. Two things today really altered my perspective. First, my long-time college buddy (we graduated in 92) texted to my college friends group list (4 of us total) that Ridder is getting the starting nod at Atlanta in 2 weeks. That made me happy. Not super-fan ecstatic, but happy. He seems like such a good dude, and I want him to succeed. The second thing was I got done reading a Justin Williams article on the behind-the -scenes look at the recent coaching search. I can't explain it, but at the end of the article, I became totally at peace with Fickell being gone because...Satterfield is OUR coach. He's repping the C-Paw, and he is OUR coach.

You see, we will probably never win a national championship. Almost no school does. Ever. And that is OK, because what I really realized after reading the article is that I claim the Bearcats and whatever comes with them. I do it not for the near zero chance we will win a national championship but for the shared moments we get to experience because of them. I claim them for my college buddies, who 30 years after graduating, we still share joy about favored sons getting their first pro start. I claim them because I met my wife at UC and we were at the game against Memphis in the 90s during the huge snowstorm and the guy on the tractor who plowed a spot for our kicker to win the game at the end. I claim them because I was at the game in West Virginia years ago when we bought scalped tickets at the last minute and were sitting in front of the Sugar Bowl honorees from the 1950s. I claim them to watch moments like a freshman Sauce pick 6 a ranked UCF just before the third quarter when a whole stadium sang with Shout at the top of our lungs. I claim them because of this board and everyone on it. I have never knowingly met any of you. I want to meet you all. I wish we had our own Bearcat News section at the game to talk Cats in real time. I claim them because my 81 year old father and my 16 year old daughter and I have season tickets and we eat at Galactic Chicken before most home games. My dad, my daughter, and me. Priceless.

We will probably never win a national championship, but there are good memories ahead. Other schools will buy better players. Coaches will continue to leave. Our favorite players will still catch passes, elude tacklers, and crush quarterbacks. My friends and I will high five. You and I will still talk about the game. And my wife will politely listen while I share tidbits about a sport she cares nothing about. Because Ridder is starting and Satterfield is our coach. Go Bearcats!

Comment

UC4ME- that is so awesome !

Comment

First time in my life I wanted Ohio State to win a game. Glad Fickell lost.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                        First time in my life I wanted Ohio State to win a game. Glad Fickell lost.
                        Hope you saw the hypocrite wearing his T.E.A.M. jacket too. It should read S.E.L.F.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X