Transfer Portal 2024

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post

Do scholarships really matter anymore if some NIL money can pay the tuition and expenses and other costs?
    The kids are trying to maximize their value. Why volunteer to pay for school to be a walk-on when another school will gladly give you a scholly and similar NIL deal? Keep in mind only a handful of kids are making the top money, and those kids would be able to get picked up by another school.
    Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
      UC offer to Louisville safety Josh Minkins https://twitter.com/JoshMinkinsJr/st...60081797824929

Looks like Minkins' most productive season was in 2022 under Satterfield https://www.espn.com/college-footbal...8/josh-minkins
      Minkins committed to WVU in December, now tweets he is no longer going to WVU

Comment

• Portal and NIL facts:

1. 1000 players (D1) entered the portal this year.
        2. More than half will not get picked up by new schools.
        3. Only 30% of those that transfer via portal will see more playing time at their new school.
        4. Very few make the BIG $$ in the NIL. Dontey Corleone, one of UC's best players, is going to get about $180K to play another year. His hope is that his NFL stock will rise if he waits a year.
        5. Most NIL deals are $1-10K. Most players don't get anything.

Yes, the portal and NIL are really messing up college football, but many players are finding that going into the portal will do nothing more than put an end to their college football career.

B.C.
        "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

• Well said Chris.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post
            Portal and NIL facts:

1. 1000 players (D1) entered the portal this year.
            2. More than half will not get picked up by new schools.
            3. Only 30% of those that transfer via portal will see more playing time at their new school.
            4. Very few make the BIG $$ in the NIL. Dontey Corleone, one of UC's best players, is going to get about $180K to play another year. His hope is that his NFL stock will rise if he waits a year.
            5. Most NIL deals are $1-10K. Most players don't get anything.

Yes, the portal and NIL are really messing up college football, but many players are finding that going into the portal will do nothing more than put an end to their college football career.

B.C.
            well said, very sad for these guys too. On the ine hand you want to stop programs or intermediaries from contacting players, yet why wouod you enter the portal without at least one known landing spot

Comment

• Maybe after a few cycles of the portal and the vast majority of players not landing elsewhere, the activity will subside. Only players who have an opportunity to play at another school - stuck behind a better/older player at the current school - will enter the portal to gain playing time and garner the attention they seek. Otherwise, why give up a scholarship on the off chance that you might end up in a better situation? I would want to know my chances prior to entering the portal, but I am also in my 50s and have a very different outlook on such matters.

Comment

• Remember UC's kicker from two years ago?.... a guy who transferred here from Delaware (Cole???). Anyway, he left UC via the portal after one year. He kicked every FG and EP while here, but went to NC. He was pretty good. He played in two games at NC, and now his career is over. Stupid move.

B.C.

Comment

Remember UC's kicker from two years ago?.... a guy who transferred here from Delaware (Cole???). Anyway, he left UC via the portal after one year. He kicked every FG and EP while here, but went to NC. He was pretty good. He played in two games at NC, and now his career is over. Stupid move.

B.C.
                  What was his major/degree? He could've been chasing a grad program not offered at UC. It was a bad move football-wise, but maybe not stupid for a student-athlete.

Comment

Remember UC's kicker from two years ago?.... a guy who transferred here from Delaware (Cole???). Anyway, he left UC via the portal after one year. He kicked every FG and EP while here, but went to NC. He was pretty good. He played in two games at NC, and now his career is over. Stupid move.

B.C.
                    He only played in 2 games because he got hurt. He was the starter those first 2 games. He got a degree from UNC and is now headed to Cal Berkeley for a grad year, where he is getting a second grad degree. Stupid post.

Comment

• How did Tagovailoa get such a quick response from the NCAA on his appeal for a 6th season?

Comment

• Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

He only played in 2 games because he got hurt. He was the starter those first 2 games. He got a degree from UNC and is now headed to Cal Berkeley for a grad year, where he is getting a second grad degree. Stupid post.
                        Come on Bearcat 1518.... you missed my point. Some guys transfer expecting great things, and it doesn't happen. UC brought in a great WR from Washington State. He fizzled. Glad the PK is getting a 6th year, and doing so well. I saw no stories that the PK was hurt before I made that post. Evidently Coe did return from his injury, and lost his starting position to another PK.

B.C.
                        Last edited by Bearcat Chris; 01-16-2024, 07:20 PM.

Comment

B.C.
                          Chris, first all you seem to have combined Cole Smith with Ryan Coe into some sort of FrankenKicker here. (Can I trademark that?) Coe was the kicker in 2022 and transferred out with the coaching change. To my knowledge he was not a grad student and last year at UNC he was in his 4th year and got hurt. So in theory he's got a grad transfer and a Covid year left? I wouldn't put the transfer on Coe. The vast majority of players from the Fickell era are gone at this point. There are some notable exceptions like Corleone, Prater and even Landon Fickell of all people, who are local guys that went to HS in the city.

This is the current roster on GoBearcats. It's not up to date but if you look at it, about a 3rd of these guys are gone thourgh the portal or graduated. Coe is not an anomaly.

https://gobearcats.com/sports/football/roster?view=2

Brent Wyrick
                          92 Final Four Front Row
                          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Chris, first all you seem to have combined Cole Smith with Ryan Coe into some sort of FrankenKicker here. (Can I trademark that?) Coe was the kicker in 2022 and transferred out with the coaching change. To my knowledge he was not a grad student and last year at UNC he was in his 4th year and got hurt. So in theory he's got a grad transfer and a Covid year left? I wouldn't put the transfer on Coe. The vast majority of players from the Fickell era are gone at this point. There are some notable exceptions like Corleone, Prater and even Landon Fickell of all people, who are local guys that went to HS in the city.

This is the current roster on GoBearcats. It's not up to date but if you look at it, about a 3rd of these guys are gone thourgh the portal or graduated. Coe is not an anomaly.

https://gobearcats.com/sports/football/roster?view=2
                            Coe and Cole, you are right Lobot. As I remember, one was very weak, but did kick the winning FG in the conference championship game, on at cold, raining night, against Tulsa.

B.C.

Comment

Come on Bearcat 1518.... you missed my point. Some guys transfer expecting great things, and it doesn't happen. UC brought in a great WR from Washington State. He fizzled. Glad the PK is getting a 6th year, and doing so well. I saw no stories that the PK was hurt before I made that post. Evidently Coe did return from his injury, and lost his starting position to another PK.

B.C.
                              Oh no got your point…but you were just flat out wrong on Coe. Before posting such strong opinions, there should be some sort of research on the actual facts

Comment

• UC officially announced 10 new transfers https://gobearcats.com/news/2024/1/2...additions.aspx

Seems like Minkins (a former U of L player and WVU de-commit) is a name previously on the radar but not previously known to be committed

DL Kameron Wilson
                                LB Jared Bartlett
                                DB Logan Wilson
                                DE Darian Varner
                                RB Chance Williams
                                DB Mehki Miller
                                DB Joshua Minkins
                                DB Derrick Canteen
                                TE Joe Royer
                                WR Tyrin Smith

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget