NIL Will Ruin College FB!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

If they are talent agents cleared by the NCAA, who help student-athletes get endorsement deals,and have their standing held accountable by having to have proof the student-athlete actually holding up their end of the endorsement, then the NCAA could go after pay-4-play rule breakers. The talent agents cannot work for a firm that has sports agents or they themselves cannot be a sports/contract agent; this keeps the professional ties out of college, allows kids to profit from NIL, and closes the loop on pay-4-play.
    You make an excellent point. But my argument is that finding agents that are ethical and looking out only for the student athletes best interest, able and willing to maintaining free of temptation will be difficult. Human nature and history is exhibit A. There's is just too much money in college sports for many many people to get rich and too many people willing to make them rich. This is just my opinion.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
      Here we go. NCAA proposes new rules to let the big guys break away, and pay players directly. Teams will be required to put millions into a fund for athletes each year.

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...nter-nil-deals
      I'm trying to completely digest this still but some things stuck out.

1. Giving college athletes $30,000 a year from an Athletic Dept with no strings attached to how they spend it is a probably huge mistake but I also don't see how they can mandate what they can spend it on.

2. This still restricts earnings potential on the free market and it won't pass through the NLRB or the court system unscathed.

3. Having NIL tied to Title IX doesn't make sense. I actually like the gender equity idea here but I don't think this will pass a court challenge either.

The NCAA is trying to maintain power and put the cat back in the bag.

If power conference football breaks away, when? Everybody's in a relatively new TV deal except the ACC.

Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

I'm waiting to see what Mick does if the Europeans don't win and his big money contract is close to being cancelled.
        Cronin has a very long history of working with guys with mediocre talent and winning. Remember his days as the Cincinnati head coach? If today's players are NOT interested in getting an education and preparing themselves for a life after basketball, then they should go elsewhere. I agree with Cronin. No matter how good a player is, his or her basketball playing days (with pay) will eventually come to an end. One of the things that I have always liked about Cronin is that he believes in education. Cronin, while at UC graduated a very high percentage of his players. Huggins did not placed as much emphasis on education.

I have asked this before, what good is the NCAA? It is obvious that it only cares about money. In my mind, a good solid education is the best thing that any school can do for an athlete. Where will this misguided money trail stop?
        Last edited by leeraymond; 12-06-2023, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

I'm trying to completely digest this still but some things stuck out.

1. Giving college athletes $30,000 a year from an Athletic Dept with no strings attached to how they spend it is a probably huge mistake but I also don't see how they can mandate what they can spend it on.

2. This still restricts earnings potential on the free market and it won't pass through the NLRB or the court system unscathed.

3. Having NIL tied to Title IX doesn't make sense. I actually like the gender equity idea here but I don't think this will pass a court challenge either.

The NCAA is trying to maintain power and put the cat back in the bag.

If power conference football breaks away, when? Everybody's in a relatively new TV deal except the ACC.

Good post. The NCAA is proposing here that at least half of the athletes are paid on an annual basis. What happens to the other half of the athletes? What problems would that create in the locker room? There are many talented young athletes in this country that would love to play college sports with just a 4/5 year scholarship. I am all for providing a living stipend for athletes while they train during the summer months or something like that. Paying a college kid $30,000 a year because you want him on the team is crazy. If the NCAA allows this to happen, they may open themselves up to a world of unforeseen consequences. What happens when illegal activity or mobster activity gets involved with all of this money? What will the NCAA do then?

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

Good post. The NCAA is proposing here that at least half of the athletes are paid on an annual basis. What happens to the other half of the athletes? What problems would that create in the locker room? There are many talented young athletes in this country that would love to play college sports with just a 4/5 year scholarship. I am all for providing a living stipend for athletes while they train during the summer months or something like that. Paying a college kid $30,000 a year because you want him on the team is crazy. If the NCAA allows this to happen, they may open themselves up to a world of unforeseen consequences. What happens when illegal activity or mobster activity gets involved with all of this money? What will the NCAA do then?
            I believe it is already here.

Comment

If college sports isn't already a "dead man walking" as a result of the NIL then legalized gambling is sure to the coup de grace.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post

You make an excellent point. But my argument is that finding agents that are ethical and looking out only for the student athletes best interest, able and willing to maintaining free of temptation will be difficult. Human nature and history is exhibit A. There's is just too much money in college sports for many many people to get rich and too many people willing to make them rich. This is just my opinion.
                Agreed, which is why they cannot be sport agents, and will have reviews of the proof they keep to show there was a true endorsement (video commercials, pics at the autograph signing event, etc...)
                Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

An undisclosed amount of NIL money was allegedly used to keep Minnesota Golden Gophers‘ third-string quarterback Cole Kramer around to compete against Bowling Green in the Quick Lane Bowl.

The rumor started on the Golden Gophers’ 247Sports message board when user ‘EdenPrairieGopher’ made a post:
                  “Just heard from an A+ source that Cole Kramer was given $30,000.00 to play in the bowl game from our NIL Fund. He was set to leave but thought this would be a great way to pay for his February wedding.”

B.C.
                  "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Comment

I have a hard time with this. Not because NIL, but because it's a 3rd string QB in a meaning less bowl game. That's a bad investment on someone's part.
                    Last edited by Lobot; 12-16-2023, 05:52 PM.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X