Why Even Have Bowl Games?....

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why Even Have Bowl Games?....

.... change the portal rules so players can't transfer until January 9th.

Look at this incredible list of players who have opted out of their bowl games: https://collegefootballnetwork.com/c...t-tracker-2023

B.C.
    "A veteran of the Humanitarian Bowl, 1997!"

Agreed, absolutely silly.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

Look at this incredible list of players who have opted out of their bowl games: https://collegefootballnetwork.com/c...t-tracker-2023

B.C.
      Here's why it won't happen. Almost all of the transferring players want to enroll at the start of the next semester, which starts before the championship game in most cases. If they have to wait, they'll miss early class time and may not be eligible to enroll until summer.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Here's why it won't happen. Almost all of the transferring players want to enroll at the start of the next semester, which starts before the championship game in most cases. If they have to wait, they'll miss early class time and may not be eligible to enroll until summer.
        Soon, they’ll be employees, with no requirement to enroll in classes.

Comment

I have a friend who regularly bets on games, he says he's not putting any money down on games this year due to the portal activity. You'd think the betting world would advocate for some kind of change if they stand to lose out on college bowl games.

Comment

I think the thread title would have been good even without the portal involved. Outside of traditions for things like the Rose Parade, there's no good reason for them in general. It's more for the fans and a bowl swag reward for the players. Some of the small ones cause schools to lose money.
            Last edited by Lobot; 12-13-2023, 10:13 AM.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

For those marginally interested, but not caring enough to put in the work...

696 total players so far
              16.6 average # players per bowl game (8.3 players/school)

Team counts (# players sitting out due to being in the transfer portal)
              24 - Costal Carolina
              17 - Marshall, NC State, North Carolina
              16 - Ohio State, Texas A&M
              15 - Texas Tech, Utah, Western Kentucky
              14 - Iowa State, Kansas State, Miami (FL)
              13 - Florida State, Georgia, Georgia State, Kentucky, Old Dominion, West Virginia
              12 - Boston College, Notre Dame, Oklahoma
              11 - James Madison, Virginia Tech
              10 - Bowling Green, Rutgers, Tennessee, USC, Wisconsin
              9 - Appalachian State, Cal, Duke, Louisville, LSU, Minnesota, Missouri, New Mexico State, Tulane, UCF
              8 - Arizona, Auburn, Clemson, Liberty, Maryland, Memphis, Ohio, Ole Miss, Oregon, Oregon State, USF
              7 - Air Force, Northern Illinois, SMU, Syracuse, Texas, UCLA
              6 - Arkansas State, Georgia Tech, Iowa, Oklahoma State, Troy
              5 - Eastern Michigan, Fresno State
              4 - Alabama, Boise State, Georgia Southern, Miami (OH), Northwestern, San Jose State, South Alabama, Toledo
              3 - Penn State, UTSA, Wyoming
              2 - Kansas, Louisiana, Texas State, UNLV, Utah State, Washington
              1 - Florida A&M, Michigan, Rice,
              0 - Howard, Jacksonville State

Comment

16 players for tosu? Is that because they are getting recruited over and not going to see playing time?

Comment

Did I miss UC in the above list?

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                    Did I miss UC in the above list?
                    Unfortunately, the list is only for bowl teams. Bearcats are decidedly not in that list.
                    ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Originally posted by Pharmfam View Post

Unfortunately, the list is only for bowl teams. Bearcats are decidedly not in that list.
                      Oh yes. My apologies. I did not read the post very carefully. Thanks for the correction.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        I think the title thread would been good even without the portal involved. Outside of traditions for things like the Rose Parade, there's no good reason for them in general. It's more for the fans and a bowl swag reward for the players. Some of the small ones cause schools to lose money.
                        It's 100% for Espn programming for the most part. They own/have created most of the bowls. The breakdown on bowls on Networks: CBS - 1; The CW - 1; Fox -1; ABC/Espn/Espn2 - 39.
                        In general, what's not to like about more football games? The answer depends on whether you're a fan that travels to the bowls or you're just a TV viewer. As a fan in the stands, TV ruins football games. It's why we sit in 90 degree sun-drenched games in August and September and in 30 degree night games in November. We're not really fans, we're actually extras in the TV show called football.

Comment

I've still got enough purist in me to believe there is still benefit to the bowl games. They are essentially rewards for the players and also to the alum/fans that are able to make the trip to some warm-weather location (usually). Personally, I have thoroughly enjoyed each of the bowl game trips I have been able to make. Admittedly, some bowls have been bigger deals than others (the Orange Bowl trip was fantastic)

The extra practice time is also extremely beneficial to the schools/programs that are fortunate enough to make it to a bowl.

I won't argue that the games are meaningful...generally they are not. But I still like them being played.

My biggest complaint is the over-saturation of the product. There are just too many games now, the ultimate product is watered down. To other posters' comments, I don't see the number of games being cut - particularly due to the contracts with tv networks and with various conference tie-in's. But if they lost about 25% of the bowls (from 40-something to 30-something) I don't think there would be a collective outrage by college football fans.

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat Chris View Post

B.C.
                            This makes great sense except players need to find a new school, move, and start classes at the beginning of the semester. Instead of changing portal dates, let's change high school early signing day to the day/weekend after Thanksgiving, or Halloween. See which kids got recruited over and let the coaching staff finish one class before starting to recruit another.

As to the Bowl games, they've always been exhibitions for next year's teams. They may look uglier and not reflect the season, but probably help the staff out more this way.

One caveat, if a team makes the expanded playoff, players cannot transfer until the Spring portal.
                            Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

If I recall, UC had the longest drought of non-bowl years in college. That was until a Huggins era team was negotiated to play in a basketball game in order for the football team to be invited to that bowl game. Please, someone correct me if I am wrong.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X