UC-Miami Rivalry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearcatbret View Post
    I just hope that we can win this year to get the Bell back. I would hate for them to keep the Bell for the rest of history.
    This year's game isn't the last of the series. There's one more in 2026, unfortunately at Paycor.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post
      Miami staff, including Chuck Martin, were bellyaching a while back about not being paid sufficiently to play down here. They opted out of the NIppert games, so UC responded by opting out of playing at Yager.

Per Keegan Knickoson, UC will try to fill the 2025 game with another, comparable G5 team.
      My two cents, I hope we find a way to replace this game with a P4 opponent. I know two P4 opponents makes for a harder schedule, but also is a selling point to recruits. It may be easier than we think since most P4 schools still consider us new kids on the block, and relatively equal to G5. I know we already have a guantlet with our conference schedule, but I want to play the best teams possible. I believe our players will rise up to the challenge over time.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

Curious - UC hasn't been very effective in winning (6 wins in the last 21 meetings) the Crosstown Shootout in the last 20 years. What do folks think if that goes away, too? Any concerns?
        Last edited by Bearcat93; 07-29-2024, 02:49 PM. Reason: Adding specific details

Comment

The idea used to be keeping the money in-state when scheduling a non-conference foe...like Tennessee playing Memphis, Chattanooga, Austin Peay, etc. now that's all out the window

Comment

Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post
            Curious - UC hasn't been very effective in winning (6 wins in the last 21 meetings) the Crosstown Shootout in the last 20 years. What do folks think if that goes away, too? Any concerns?
            I'm not at all concerned about the Shootout ending. The UC-Miami rivalry is ending because the chasm between the Haves and Have-Nots is now huge. The Redhawks are cash-strapped and need more buy games. That's not the case for XU (at least to the extent of G5 football schools).

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

I'm not at all concerned about the Shootout ending. The UC-Miami rivalry is ending because the chasm between the Haves and Have-Nots is now huge. The Redhawks are cash-strapped and need more buy games. That's not the case for XU (at least to the extent of G5 football schools).
              I wonder if the tables will turn in the next 5 years. I’m not sure the B12 hangs on when full on expansion takes place with the SEC & B10. I suspect UC may again wind up on the outside looking in where the Victory Bell may seem appealing again. I believe basketball may sit in a different level league and I could see a scenario where XU sits prettier in the BE and the Crosstown Shootout may have XU saying no thanks. It’s easy to feel confident when things are tr ending your way, but I think UC’s not in a great position with our current AD & FB coach.in the next 2-3 years
              Last edited by Bearcat93; 07-31-2024, 10:22 PM.

Comment

Chad Brendel: Sources tell @BearcatJournal that UC and Miami are trending towards a plan to continue the Victory Bell in some capacity going forward. Likely to be a neutral site type deal every few seasons.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
                  Chad Brendel: Sources tell @BearcatJournal that UC and Miami are trending towards a plan to continue the Victory Bell in some capacity going forward. Likely to be a neutral site type deal every few seasons.
                  Bad idea. The game does zero for UC. Just end it and move on.
                  Fire Scott Satterfield

Comment

I read a neutral site game every 2-3 years, nothing final yet. I like the idea of not playing them annually, while also keeping a rivalry with this much history going. There's no way we are paying them 750,000-1,000,000 to play at Nippertjust because some Big 10 teams pay them that amount.

Curiosity - How much do they pay us to come to Oxford?

Comment

I believe that the other p4 schools they play don't give them a return game in Oxford as we do or a game in Cincy at Paycor with them I believe as the home team. So give them more money & let's play them every year at Nippert.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcatjd View Post
                        I believe that the other p4 schools they play don't give them a return game in Oxford as we do or a game in Cincy at Paycor with them I believe as the home team. So give them more money & let's play them every year at Nippert.
                        I say UC keeps its payment to MU the same. If it truly values the rivalry, it should play it for the sake of that rivalry. If they balk, UC walks. And there is no reason for UC to play at MU. Nippert or nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post

I say UC keeps its payment to MU the same. If it truly values the rivalry, it should play it for the sake of that rivalry. If they balk, UC walks. And there is no reason for UC to play at MU. Nippert or nothing.
                          Ummm, that's how we got here. They balked at always being the away team for a rivalry (which is semi-fair) and on the money (which is not fair because they signed a contract and should renogiate at end of contract).

Nonetheless, a neutral site game should mean we pay them less and each gets revenue based on increased ticket sales. I'd rather have it at Nippert every 2-3 years, but find it is acceptable to keep the rivalry going at a neutral site.

Comment

Game now on ESPNU --- I can't get it due to Disney_DirectTV price fight

Comment

Well, the B1G at $90M per team per year and the SEC at $80M per team per year can pay MAC schools more than a Big 12 team at $38M per year (which UC is not at full share yet). Disclaimer: those figures may not be totally accurate but are in the ballpark.

Comment

Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
                                Game now on ESPNU --- I can't get it due to Disney_DirectTV price fight
                                They made the agreement this morning. Still not on?
                                Brent Wyrick
                                92 Final Four Front Row
                                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X