X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Gotta be honest , I don't remember us going after this guy at all. I'm getting old and my memory sucks at times but I think I would remember that name as it's kind of unique.
    It's entirely possible that UC didn't recruit him, but rather he was just a guy whose name went into the 2021 portal thread two years ago. UC was in desperate need of players when the last coaching change was made and I remember the name from that cycle. (shrugs)

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Iona F Quinn Slazinski is entering the transfer portal. He played two years at Louisville and two at Iona, so would have one year left. The 6'9 senior averaged 11.3 and 5.7 this past season. I think he was recruited by the new staff when he went portaling two years ago - granted they had many more roster spots to fill.

https://twitter.com/VerbalCommits/st...Cz-afvmbstAAAA
    Gotta be honest , I don't remember us going after this guy at all. I'm getting old and my memory sucks at times but I think I would remember that name as it's kind of unique.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Jon Rothstein: The NCAA sent college programs this memo earlier regarding the waiver process for undergraduates who are two-time transfers (see tweet for image of document)
    https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...18369409933314
    Aren't these the rules that were recently passed and are in effect already?

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Jon Rothstein: The NCAA sent college programs this memo earlier regarding the waiver process for undergraduates who are two-time transfers (see tweet for image of document)
    https://twitter.com/JonRothstein/sta...18369409933314

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I think he would "force the issue" with a few 4 year players who still have their COVID year before either Hensley or Landers. Mika, JD, CJ Anthony (walk-on?), Ody or Kalu (possibly)
    CJ is a a preferred walk on. He's basically trying to play his way into a scholarship. No sense in forcing him out as he doesn't take up a scholarship currently. Prolific scorer at the HS level but very undersized as a shooting guard in college.

Kalu is gone. Out of eligibility.

The others are all in the undecided pile so far. You want Nolley back I think. I don't think you force the rest of them out unless you can get an impact player to replace them in the portal and maybe not even then. Nothing puts a dent in recruiting like a coach with a reputation of pulling the rug out from under players. Can you encourage them to look around for more playing time and make some calls? Sure, but don't force them out.

Right now going into the Big XII, we need bodies. I know a lot of us would like to see some of them go elsewhere but be careful what you wish for. They are known quantities for better or worse which makes coaching them easier (?) You also have the Brannen factor with a couple of them. We don't know what promises were made by the staff and AD for these guys that stuck around through the coaching transition. That might be a situation that's far more complicated than the fanbase knows.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Ball State big man Payton Sparks has entered the portal. Last year he entered the portal and UC made contact but then he wound up staying at Ball State. Never seemed like UC was necessarily in the mix, but there was at least interest from UC. https://vb.bearcatnews.com/forum/bas...rks-transfer-c

Averaged 13.3 and 8.7 this year in his sophomore campaign. From Winchester, Indiana.
    UC is one of the many programs to contact Sparks

https://247sports.com/Article/Basket...tal-207102199/

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    One of the top names in the portal so far: Kerr Kriisa from Arizona. The ultimate love him on your team, hate him on another team player. Guess who recruited him to Arizona? Sean Miller ... would be a better and more dislikable Kunkel if he transfers there. https://twitter.com/DraftExpress/sta...92044879814670

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    I like th mentions of UC to some of the Tarheel portal entrants as well as many other talented players. With respect specifically to those Tarheels, does Wes have any type of relationship or ties to Hubert Davis? I seem to recall Roy Williams is a big fan of Wes, but asking to see if he has any connection to these players through Coach Davis or members of his staff.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Not sure if UC would be looking for another small guard (surely not if MAW returns) but here's an interesting name -- Jalen Cone who averaged 17.6 points at Northern Arizona. He's played two years at Virginia Tech and the last two at Northern Arizona, so one year left presumably.

-Teammates with Landers Nolley at VT in 19-20
    -From Walkertown, NC which is 30 mins from Greensboro

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...698/jalen-cone

Leave a comment:

• Rufus
    replied
    Originally posted by red_n_black_attack View Post

I think he would "force the issue" with a few 4 year players who still have their COVID year before either Hensley or Landers. Mika, JD, CJ Anthony (walk-on?), Ody or Kalu (possibly)

I think the way things stand in this profession with immediate results being demanded from schools and we going into the B12, plus with other schools reloading every year you almost have to force the issue.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
    So is the accepted thought that... In order to add to the roster... one of two things would likely have to happen ? Either Landers decides to move on or CWM encourages Hensley to transfer out ?
    Also.. lets say we get confirmation that someone DOES confirm they want to come here, does CWM force the issue with those two ?
    As there are FOUR guys who were technically seniors but have a year of eligibility left (not only Nolley, but also Oguama, Adams-Woods, Davenport), I don't think it hinges on Nolley but rather on all of them plus any underclassmen movement. It seems reasonable to question Hensley, given his diminished role. You really can't assume anything about anyone else.

So, yes, in order to add to the roster, someone has to be subtracted. But can only speculate at this point.

red_n_black_attack - Ezkipe is not part of the equation. He's out of eligibility.

I think this is how things look as of today (13 scholarships):

1. Jizzle James, 4 years of eligibility left (incoming freshman)
    2. Rayvon Griffith, 4 years of eligibility left (incoming freshman)
    3. DaVeon Thomas, 2 years of eligibility left (JUCO transfer)

4. Dan Skillings, 3 years of eligibility left (sophomore to be)
    5. Josh Reed, 3 years of eligibility left (sophomore to be)
    6. Sage Tolentino, 3-4 years of eligibility left (RS freshman or sophomore to be)
    7. Viktor Lakhin, 2-3 years of eligibility left (RS junior to be - he was redshirting when they gave out a bonus COVID year)
    8. Jarrett Hensley, 2 years of eligibility left (senior to be plus a COVID year)

9. Landers Nolley, 1 year of eligibility left (bonus COVID year available)
    10. Jeremiah Davenport, 1 year of eligibility left (bonus COVID year available)
    11. Mika Adams-Woods, 1 year of eligibility left (bonus COVID year available)
    12. Ody Oguama, 1 year of eligibility left (bonus COVID year available)

13. John Newman, 1 year of eligibility left if he gets a medical redshirt

13/13 spots accounted for as of today. Roster spots will open if anyone leaves.
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 03-21-2023, 03:08 PM.

Leave a comment:

• red_n_black_attack
    replied
    Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
    So is the accepted thought that... In order to add to the roster... one of two things would likely have to happen ? Either Landers decides to move on or CWM encourages Hensley to transfer out ?
    Also.. lets say we get confirmation that someone DOES confirm they want to come here, does CWM force the issue with those two ?

Leave a comment:

• BorisTheCat
    replied

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    La Salle's Josh Nickelberry (formerly of Louisville) will enter the portal, per Jake Weingarten. The 6'4 Nickelberry is a North Carolina native who averaged 10.9 points this past year, including 40.1% from three. He should have one year left.

Leave a comment:

• longtimefan
    replied
    Originally posted by Rufus View Post
    Question, when does the COVID extra years end?
    I believe it applies to any player who was on a team in 2020. In our case next year is the last.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X