2023 NCAA Transfer Portal Megathread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023 NCAA Transfer Portal Megathread

"And Here. We. Go." - Jon Rothstein, quoting the late Heath Ledger as The Joker in The Dark Knight, circa 2008

I don't think the transfer portal is technically open until next Mondays, but guys whose teams have been eliminating are starting to announce their intent to go portaling. And we have our first known UC contact:

Brown University guard Paxson Wojcik
    - 6-foot-5, 200-pound lefty out of Charleston (S.C.)
    - Averaged 14.9 points, 7.2 rebounds, and 3.2 assists per game for the Bears this year
    - Shot 38% from 3 this past year, but under 69% from FT line
    - One year of eligibility left (played two years at Loyola Chicago, two years at BU)
    - Has heard from UC and others, per the below 247 article

https://247sports.com/Article/Paxson...al--206030270/
    https://brownbears.com/sports/mens-b...n-wojcik/16398
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 03-09-2023, 10:35 AM.

Probably a good time for someone on the forum to confirm # of roster spots open. I thought we had three going out with three confirmed coming in.
    The above implies we have "room" for another..... So... who's the authority on available spots ???

Comment

Originally posted by BorisTheCat View Post
      Probably a good time for someone on the forum to confirm # of roster spots open. I thought we had three going out with three confirmed coming in.
      The above implies we have "room" for another..... So... who's the authority on available spots ???
      We technically have zero openings unless a current player doesn't take his COVID year or an underclassman opts to transfer. We have three seniors completely out of eligibility and COVID years.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

JD, MAW, and Nolley are eligible to take that option. However, that doesn’t mean it has to be at UC. If UC wants a player back and the player wants to exhaust his eligibility at UC, then the player will return to UC. If either party does not wish for that final year to be at UC, then it will be elsewhere.

Comment

I wouldn't worry about roster spots. If you want to be a player in the portal, you make contact with potential transfers. Doesn't mean you've made an offer... 99% of teams lose at least one kid to the portal (don't quote me on that stat). Just like with high school kids, you don't stop recruiting. Yes, you don't start reaching out to 50 PGs if you have a stud PG and risk pissing off your guy, but even if most of the eligible-to-return Bearcats want to come back and the staff wants them back, you have to stay locked in. Sometimes there are surprise transfers. Sometimes you anticipate them (or nudge them out, unfortunately). Either way, you have to put out some feelers.

Comment

I expect lots of development from Skillings and Reed and both figure to get major minutes next season. James and Griffith coming in should also see a lot of PT. Guys who decide to stay may end up with diminished roles should they come back, and are they willing to do that? I’m not a fan of running guys off, (though I admit advocating for that after some tough games this year) but one or more may choose to leave. UC has to be ready if somebody does choose to go. I’m not sure a G should be the priority if that happens.

Comment

I have no inside info but it seems to me that since Hensley languished on the bench for no apparent reason in the middle of the schedule (no known injury) that perhaps he may feel he could get more PT elsewhere. And like LTF said I don't think a guard should be our priority. But then I'm not really enamored with all the portal picks we've obtained so far anyhow.
              Last edited by Rufus; 03-09-2023, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                I have no inside info but it seems to me that since Hensley languished on the bench for no apparent reason in the middle of the schedule (no known injury) that perhaps he may feel he could get more PT elsewhere. And like LTF said I don't think a guard should be our priority. But then I'm not really enamored with all the portal picks we've obtained so far anyhow.
                Hensley would likely see his time go up with Ezikpe graduating. I think that's a pick 'em on odds. He may want to go or maybe not. The big thing with Hensley is what's his real position? He's a guy who could give backup minutes at the 4 but he's really a stretch 3 and that's kinda where Rayvon fits into the lineup.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by London 'Cat View Post
                  JD, MAW, and Nolley are eligible to take that option. However, that doesn’t mean it has to be at UC. If UC wants a player back and the player wants to exhaust his eligibility at UC, then the player will return to UC. If either party does not wish for that final year to be at UC, then it will be elsewhere.
                  Also, Ody is eligible for a C-19 bonus year. In CWM's radio show last week, he discussed the players (in general) who could return and said the coaches will sit down with each of them individually to gauge their desires. He added that he wants every eligible player to return.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Also, Ody is eligible for a C-19 bonus year. In CWM's radio show last week, he discussed the players (in general) who could return and said the coaches will sit down with each of them individually to gauge their desires. He added that he wants every eligible player to return.
                    I thought Ody had another year of eligibility - Jr. not a Sr. I’m probably wrong on that. I would definitely want him back as he improved quite a bit this year. It’ll be an interesting off season when transfers come available vs. the players already on the roster.

Comment

I wouldn't be surprised to see Hensley, Reed, & Tolentino possibly enter the Portal.... Can someone please answer? Are Davenport & MAW eligible to comeback to UC next Year?

Comment

Yes-MAW, Davenport, Nolley, and Ody all eligible to come back next year (whether they choose to do so is a different question). I would hope Tolentino knew what his role would be this year coning in-he was always going to be a project but hopefully will have a role going forward. As everyone has said, Hensley's issue may be finding a space where he fits on this roster to get PT next year. He feels like he could have a more major role at a smaller program tbh. As far as Reed goes, hopefully it has been an ongoing conversation with him about development and what he would be expected to do to get more run next year-both he and Skillings have shown in flashes what they are capable of, but they are true freshman still. If they stick it out, they should both be able to grow into major contributors in the coming years.

Comment

I wouldn't mind having Nolley & Ody back for next year... And I'll leave it at that!

Hensley & Tolentino I could definitely see transferring to a smaller school like an Old Dominion for example and seeing immediate playing time.

Reed could move to another school comparable to UC if he feels he'll be lost in the shuffle going forward... As you said, hopefully Wes has had conversations and Reed understands his playing time will increase as he progresses...

Comment

I'm pretty sure Tolentino knew going into this season that there was a high chance he was going to redshirt. Can't see him giving up on a high-major basketball dream without seeing a little more game time first - especially if he gets a lot stronger over this offseason.

Hensley definitely seems "more than likely" to transfer for reasons others have stated. Hard for me to get a gauge on anyone else yet.

Comment

CW is right. Tolentino knew coming in that his pt would be very limited. His injury just sealed things and opened the door for a medical redshirt. If He can get stronger in the off-season and be able to spell Vik for 10-12 minutes a game I think that would be enough for him to stick next season

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X