2024 NCAA Transfer Portal Megathread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    I don't think this will shock a lot of people on here but according to stats from TP4PT cited by Paul Biancardi at ESPN, there are STILL 3055 players in the transfer portal from D1 and D2 ball. Roughly 2000 of those are D1 and they have no landing spot going into the season. That total number is 40.4% of the players that entered. Biancardi nailed it . The grass isn't always greener.
    Earlier today, I heard on Sirius/XM College Sports that 43% of MAC football players entered the portal after last season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
      I don't think this will shock a lot of people on here but according to stats from TP4PT cited by Paul Biancardi at ESPN, there are STILL 3055 players in the transfer portal from D1 and D2 ball. Roughly 2000 of those are D1 and they have no landing spot going into the season. That total number is 40.4% of the players that entered. Biancardi nailed it . The grass isn't always greener.
      I have to wonder how many of these players were encouraged to transfer. My guess is there is a reason they are without a scholarship, and it isn't more slots for freshmen. When the FCS players jump up to FBS, they are taking spots of kids recruited to FBS schools out of high school.
      Red and Black are more of an Attitude than merely a color combination.

Intimidate! Dominate! Celebrate!

Comment

• I am guessing that a large percentage of the players who hit the portal but didn't find a home aren't players that have proven themselves at the DI level.

It is paywalled, but apparently Ken Pom(eroy) posted something critical of this stat about all the players who hit the portal but haven't found a destination. One person he highlighted was Cade Arbogast, who spent the last three years at Arkansas (after time at juco level). He's a super senior with a 0.2 ppg, 0.2 rpg, 0.1 apg stat line at Arkansas as a walk-on (may have been on scholarship for a semester).

I have no idea if he is still playing, but take former Bearcat Rob Banks for example. In four seasons over five years (two at UC, two at Texas A&M Commerce) his numbers: 19 points, 18 fouls, 13 rebounds, 7 turnovers, 5 steals, 3 assists. Career averages of 0.7 ppg, 0.8 rpg, 0.2 apg. If he hit the portal again with one year left, why assume another D1 program would take him - what is he bringing to the table to improve XYZ program?
        Last edited by GoBearcats31; 08-21-2024, 11:04 AM.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
        Working...
        X