Game 17: Memphis 1/9 3:30 ABC

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Game 17: Memphis 1/9 3:30 ABC

When they put this on ABC, I'm sure they had lofty expectations for this game. Instead Memphis is 8-5, although they're 2-1 in conference play after a narrow win over Tulsa on Tuesday. The Tigers started out on fire in the non conference schedule and then prompty lost 4 straight including losses to UGA and Murray St. Then they turned around and beat #6 Alabama. In short they're all over the place. Penny is having a hard time getting the players to mesh as a team and you never quite know who is going to play due to Covid or show up on the court when they do play. I half expect Duren and Bates, who are both lottery picks in the NBA draft next year, to quit mid season and get ready for that path.

Some stuff that stood out is that no one on the team averages more than 25 min per game. The ability of Memphis to wear us out is crucial. Also you can't drive the paint against Jalen Duren. He's averaging almost 3 blocks a game. If we're behind at the end, Hack a Shaq should be employed. There's a lot of guys on this squad shooting below 70% at the line.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/235

Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Via Cassie Carlson, a TV person down there:

Penny Hardaway’s injury report:
    Lomax: Ankle (out)
    Chandler Lawson: Ankle (out)
    Nolley: Neck (game time decision)
    Duren: Hip (game time decision)
    Williams: Back (game time decision)
    Hardaway: Leg (game time decision)
    Bates: Finger (practiced, game time decision)

Comment

Penny: Bruised Ego (out)
      Brent Wyrick
      92 Final Four Front Row
      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Speaking of bruised egos, Memphis is hauling out the Memphis State throwbacks for this one. Penny is 1-7 against UC while wearing that jersey as a player
        Brent Wyrick
        92 Final Four Front Row
        @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Too bad we couldn't bring out the 'cats throwbacks from that same era. I imagine he has nightmares of those uni's!

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            Speaking of bruised egos, Memphis is hauling out the Memphis State throwbacks for this one. Penny is 1-7 against UC while wearing that jersey as a player
            They lost to us 4 times in 92.
            ...a fountain of eternal youth, a tower of strength, a rock of truth...

Comment

Memphis listed as 7.5 pt favorites

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                When they put this on ABC, I'm sure they had lofty expectations for this game. Instead Memphis is 8-5, although they're 2-1 in conference play after a narrow win over Tulsa on Tuesday. The Tigers started out on fire in the non conference schedule and then prompty lost 4 straight including losses to UGA and Murray St. Then they turned around and beat #6 Alabama. In short they're all over the place. Penny is having a hard time getting the players to mesh as a team and you never quite know who is going to play due to Covid or show up on the court when they do play. I half expect Duren and Bates, who are both lottery picks in the NBA draft next year, to quit mid season and get ready for that path.

Some stuff that stood out is that no one on the team averages more than 25 min per game. The ability of Memphis to wear us out is crucial. Also you can't drive the paint against Jalen Duren. He's averaging almost 3 blocks a game. If we're behind at the end, Hack a Shaq should be employed. There's a lot of guys on this squad shooting below 70% at the line.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...stats/_/id/235

Also you can't drive the paint against Jalen Duren. ------

As if we would . Now there is an excuse for the jacking up 3s. I hope they are past that and try to play as a team. National TV.

Comment

Jacob Evans in the building
                  https://twitter.com/GoBearcatsMBB/st...68372600360973

Comment

Newman is down and it's looked like he got undercut on a rebound.
                    Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

40-34 at the half. Could have been worse and we're hanging around.

You cannot defend Emoni Bates with Mason Madsen.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Did I miss something…where is McGinnis?

Comment

Their showing some life. Newman needs to keep slashing and not shoot the three. Ugauma is working hard.

Comment

Originally posted by steveedwards View Post
                            Did I miss something…where is McGinnis?
                            He's out. Undisclosed.
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

I hope he's not one of the portal people.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X