Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    ESPN's Jeff Borzello did a feature on Walker Miller (Monmouth), with plenty in there about older little brother Wes (including, of course, the Monmouth-UC game). One such excerpt:

Miller acknowledges that a career with 36 points and 31 rebounds in 140 minutes didn't provide much tape for coaches to scout his game.

But he did have his brother: So what about Cincinnati, where Wes had just been hired to replace John Brannen?

This time, the brothers actually discussed the possibility -- if only briefly.

"At the end of the day, I think it's a really hard situation for us both," Walker said. "When there's a relative on the team, I think it can work well when [it's] the best player on the team. Like [Doug] McDermott at Creighton, it's easy. Nobody questions it when he's that good. Or your son has to be the worst player on the team and never play. Anywhere in between, it's a lot of pressure on the coach."

Wes was on the same page.

"When I took the Cincinnati job, it was talked about. I just didn't think it would have been fair to him," Wes said. "For him to play for his brother would put a spotlight on him, the guys in the locker room, the fan base -- that would be a little bit unfair. If he's playing well or if he's not playing well but still playing minutes, people might see favoritism. ... He didn't play at UNC for four years."

ttps://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/33151816/how-four-year-unc-basketball-walk-walker-miller-became-star-monmouth-why-never-played-famous-older-brother
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 02-02-2022, 07:18 PM.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Wes Miller, who won his 200th career game yesterday, rocking the Joe Burrow jersey this morning: https://twitter.com/GoBearcatsMBB/st...54548594225154

Leave a comment:

• Oldtimer_UC_fan
    replied
    Originally posted by Gmann View Post

Good to know. Wes also indicated on his radio show that Roberts primarily is the one working with the bigs on finishing at the basket. So at this point I have two reasons to be less than satisfied with his contribution. We'll see how it goes from here but I don't like the trend so far.
    Finishing? When? They are non existent offensively.

Leave a comment:

• Gmann
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

One of the big takewaways from this article for those who weren't able to read it, is that Mike Roberts is the one calling the substitution patterns with Wes vetoing chnages if he needs to. If you don't like the sub patterns it's not entirely Wes' fault.
    Good to know. Wes also indicated on his radio show that Roberts primarily is the one working with the bigs on finishing at the basket. So at this point I have two reasons to be less than satisfied with his contribution. We'll see how it goes from here but I don't like the trend so far.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post
    Justin WIlliiams wrote about Wes Miller and his methods yesterday: ($)

https://theathletic.com/3094932/2022...ar-head-coach/
    One of the big takewaways from this article for those who weren't able to read it, is that Mike Roberts is the one calling the substitution patterns with Wes vetoing chnages if he needs to. If you don't like the sub patterns it's not entirely Wes' fault.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    1/27 radio show
    https://www.iheart.com/podcast/71-uc...are&embed=true

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Today is Wes Miller's 39th birthday. 365 more days until we can longer list him among top coaches under 40. (Which reminds me of when Jeff Borzello or someone put together such a list for ESPN last year and had Travis Steele #2).... anyways, happy birthday Coach! Hasn't been a perfect year, but I'd like to think UC basketball is on the right track.

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X