Xavier 12/10 3:00 ESPN2

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post
    Did I miss an injury. Kalu Ezikpe didn't play. I might be wrong though.
    He didn't play. There are rumors circling that he might head to Europe soon.
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• The guys worked their butts off defensively in the second half. If you don't think so I have no clue what you were watching or your ability to evaluate. Unfortunately, it requires 2 halves of effort like that to win big games.
      The first half was awful. Tentative, nervous, bad passing, bad shot selection, on and on. Nothing looked good. I can't imagine we weren't prepared but thats what it looked like. I will say this is the first true shootout for all our guys so a slow start is understandable but not a slow half.
      A few bad calls, a few big shots by X, and a few wasted possessions by the Bearcats stopped an otherwise awesome comeback.
      We need KMart to go fire them boys up at half more often. I think he challenged their Bearcathood. He probably should have done it pregame.
      I saw lots to build from. Only consolation we have is if they learn and improve. Onward to Miami.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
        The guys worked their butts off defensively in the second half. If you don't think so I have no clue what you were watching or your ability to evaluate. Unfortunately, it requires 2 halves of effort like that to win big games.
        The first half was awful. Tentative, nervous, bad passing, bad shot selection, on and on. Nothing looked good. I can't imagine we weren't prepared but thats what it looked like. I will say this is the first true shootout for all our guys so a slow start is understandable but not a slow half.
        A few bad calls, a few big shots by X, and a few wasted possessions by the Bearcats stopped an otherwise awesome comeback.
        We need KMart to go fire them boys up at half more often. I think he challenged their Bearcathood. He probably should have done it pregame.
        I saw lots to build from. Only conso- case in point JD in for one play lation we have is if they learn and improve. Onward to Miami.
        Most did but not all -- case in point JD in for 1 play and gave up an easy basket and then was yanked. Perhaps Kenyon didn't wish to overstep his role, but had to be fed up after that first half. He is not a coach, but why can't CWM motivate.

Comment

• The second half was much, much better. Regrettably the first half was also a part of the game. JD should have been removed after the 13-1 opening, Nolley should have taken the ball to the basket, etc. Wes should be more assertive

Comment

• Its a lot easier to be a great alumni and come in and make 1 fiery speech than to be with the guys 7 days a week and do it. I think Wes coaches with intensity but its up to the players to get their heads right and realize the big moments and bring their A game. Disappointed the upperclassmen aren't getting that done. The second half was the first time I have witnessed the college passion I have been waiting for. Either play for the name on the front or turn your shirt around so you do.

Comment

• Originally posted by SKell82155 View Post
              Question- Hensley took the ball out after 2 technical
              free throws, correct ? Was he not allowed to move ?
              No. Technical fouls do not change possession rules. When Boum intentionally missed the second free throw and Oguama rebounded, the ball belonged to UC at that point, on the floor as time was running. CWM then called the time-out he no longer had. That generated a spot in-bounds position.
              Last edited by swilsonsp4; 12-11-2022, 12:00 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

No. Technical fouls do not change possession rules. When Boum intentionally missed the second free throw and Oguama rebounded, the ball belonged to UC at that point, on the floor as time was running. CWM then called the time-out he no longer had. That generated a spot in-bounds position.
                And the ref didn't insist he get 3 ft from the defender

Comment

• Ever since CWM has been here, he has been enamored with JD. JD's play tends to cause Nolley to disappear, takes the offense out of rhythm, takes shots out the hands of shooters more reliable than he, cannot defend, and constantly gets beat. CWM is more worried about being buddies with him than winning ball games. It's been almost 40 ball games and it's the same game plan as the day CWM got here. It's time to sit JD on the bench put the team on the shoulders of DDJ and Nolley and ViK. Allow Skillings and Reed to make their rookie mistakes take the lumps and be better for it next year. At the very least use Hensley in place of JD and let's see his defense for an extended time. And I don't even want to get started on Ezikpe.

Comment

• Someone mentioned Tony Yates. I seem to recall that he had won a national championship ring much like CWM. Coach Yates was a really nice man that I met in the halls several times and he always had time to chat. I hope that the coaches and team learned something in the second half and grow from it. It has been really difficult to get invested in UC basketball over the past 4 years. I hope that changes soon. The UC facilities, campus and surrounding neighborhoods are so much better than during the Yates era, so I hope that we do not drop back to those days.

Comment

• Post mortem - ($)

https://theathletic.com/3989586/2022...ootout-xavier/

https://www.cincinnati.com/story/spo...c/69715459007/
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Has anybody noticed that Miller seems to have all types of problems playing against major teams. For instance, since last year, Miller has gone 10-17 against major teams (in and outside the conference). In his last 13 games against major programs, he has gone 3-10. He has lost 4 consecutive games against major teams going back to last year. In the non-conference, the only major teams he has beat since last year are Georgia (bad team last year), Illinois, and Louisville (0-9 this year). He has even lost to Mid-major teams as well during this time period (Monmouth and NKU). Let's discuss that weird timeout call. There were 1.4 seconds left in the game, there was a missed free-throw, and UC got the ball with DeJulius handling around the half-court line. Why not let DeJulius take the shot? Miller called a time out, that he did NOT have with .9 seconds on the clock. That timeout caused UC TO NOT get a last heave shot off. In my mind, that was terrible strategy. In a situation like that, you take advantage of the opportunity that is in front of you, not the one you hope to have. UC never got a last shot off. Another thing, UC played a zone for TWO possessions in the first half, where Xavier DID NOT SCORE, and did NOT play in a zone again. On Xavier's last possession, the game was tied at 77, and Boum had the ball at the top of the key with about 7 seconds left in the game. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN A GREAT SITUATION TO PLAY A ZONE. Miller never thought of it. Enough said. One of the good things to emerged from the Xavier game that may help UC as they go through their schedule is Oguama and Lakhin in the game together gives them a toughness that has been missing since Gary Clark and Kyle Washington left. Miller REALLY should try Oguama in the starting line-up. He is able to play tough defense on the perimeter and he can handle himself in the paint. Bigger inside players tend to give him a few problems. More importantly, based on what I saw Saturday, the team seemed to play better when Oguama and Lakhin played together. Miller talks a lot about searching for the best combination of five guys. He just may have found it. If he goes with Oguama and Lakhin together as starters, he will have to play Ezikpe and/or Tolentino as backups. Why not play Tolentino? UC will need him going into the BIG 12. Nothing prepares a player better than live action. Coach him hard and play him. The only way a person can learn how to swim is to get in the water. It is time to put Tolentino in the water. Here is hoping that Miller can become a better and more INVENTIVE coach going forward. I have my doubts, however, I am a believer.
                        Last edited by leeraymond; 12-12-2022, 01:36 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RedDog View Post
                          The guys worked their butts off defensively in the second half. If you don't think so I have no clue what you were watching or your ability to evaluate. Unfortunately, it requires 2 halves of effort like that to win big games.i.
                          X scored 41 in the first half and 39 in the second half. UCs effort rose from non-existent to the low end of effort required to compete. These guys fall well short of 'worked their butts off". I haven't seen actual defense in this program since Cronin left.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X