• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Danny Hurley/UConn - six year, $50M contract through 2029-30

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Men's Basketball Welcomes Back Stowe As Assistant Coach

https://gobearcats.com/news/2024/7/1...ant-coach.aspx

Jaylen Stowe was a GA for the Bearcats from 2021-23, Miller's first two years, before landing his first full-time job as an assistant coach and recruiting coordinator at High Point. It was a memorable year for the Panthers, who with 11 newcomers won the Big South regular-season title and went 27-9, the winningest season in their Division I history. First-year head coach Alan Huss was the league's Coach of the Year among several team postseason accolades.

Leave a comment:

• Rufus
    replied
    Oh the injustice of it all, another imagined underpaid coach using an apparent promotion and substantial pay upgrade to leverage a sweeter deal with his PO resent employer.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    It appears that this entire thing might have been leaked to Woj by Hurley's agent. Turns out he was in contract talks for an extension and raise at UConn during this entire process. Woj has written a book on Dan Sr.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Hurley will stay at UConn.

I am happy about this -- I was not prepared for the domino effect of him leaving and this job opening in mid-June.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Lots of fanbase noise to bring Dermarr home right now.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by Carthage World View Post
    Olivia Ray from WLWT just reported on Twitter that Covington Catholic is targeting Jake Thelen to be their next head basketball coach. Thelen is a Cov Cath alum.

Seems like a backwards move to me but I don't know anything about his family situation/personal motivations so a high school job may be more attractive in some ways.
    This is now a done deal for Thelen. Good luck going forward for him.

Leave a comment:

• bearcatbret
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Me neither but seems like it would fall into the personal category if he took the job. Jake was a All-American D-II player at Bellarmine after graduating HS.
    I am just guessing here so bear with me. Coaches are getting rich in the college and pro ranks. Also, the college sports world is being turned upside down as noted on several threads in the forum. If I were a coach (that had a good bank account), that wanted to slow things down and get out of the rat race, the high school scene is where I would go. I moved to Ohio Amish Country to work taking a much lower salary just to slow my life down. Of course, I only stayed 6 years because of personal ties to Cincinnati but I can see that type of thinking being applied in athletics.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    This all sounds a bit like July 1 fiscal year contract turnover.

Leave a comment:

• GoBearcats31
    replied
    Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Thielen has been announced as the HC at Cov Cath. UC also is losing Matt Miller, the basketball Director of Operations, who handled the daily behind-the-scenes stuff (travel planning, etc.).

Thielen handled the big men, so CWM will target someone with that experience.
    Where is Matt Miller going?

Also, the season before last Thelen was the ops guy (before rules changed and allowed more bench coaches). So if he "handled the big men," it is not like he was a seasoned veteran assistant coach/big man guru or anything.
    Last edited by GoBearcats31; 06-07-2024, 04:00 PM.

Leave a comment:

• swilsonsp4
    replied
    Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Me neither but seems like it would fall into the personal category if he took the job. Jake was a All-American D-II player at Bellarmine after graduating HS.
    Thielen has been announced as the HC at Cov Cath. UC also is losing Matt Miller, the basketball Director of Operations, who handled the daily behind-the-scenes stuff (travel planning, etc.).

Thielen handled the big men, so CWM will target someone with that experience.

Leave a comment:

• Lobot
    replied
    Originally posted by Carthage World View Post
    Olivia Ray from WLWT just reported on Twitter that Covington Catholic is targeting Jake Thelen to be their next head basketball coach. Thelen is a Cov Cath alum.

Seems like a backwards move to me but I don't know anything about his family situation/personal motivations so a high school job may be more attractive in some ways.

Leave a comment:

• Carthage World
    replied

Leave a comment:

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
Working...
X