Illinois-Chicago 11/6 9:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Did you miss the way he played all last year????

Also, with a smaller and quicker opponent, the game plan seemed to have been to clear out and let guards create. Secondly, it doesn’t seem that Thomas or Jizzle can play the pick and roll to the basket with Vik. DDJ and Vik had that down
    give it time to learn to play together.

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

The sideline reporter was Kelsey Conway, who is the Bengals beat reporter for The Cincinnati Enquirer
      She needs to work on her craft or stick to print journalism. Too long winded for broadcasting - even CWM had to walk away from her during her halftime interview. I like they give these locals a shot at these spots, but sometimes hard to listen and watch.

Comment

Originally posted by bearcat1518 View Post

Did you miss the way he played all last year????

Also, with a smaller and quicker opponent, the game plan seemed to have been to clear out and let guards create. Secondly, it doesn’t seem that Thomas or Jizzle can play the pick and roll to the basket with Vik. DDJ and Vik had that down
        Last year Lakhin was soft around the rim as well, especially defensively. He had a few ally-oop dunks with passes from DeJulius. However, when Lakhin makes moves in the paint, he will typically shoot the jump hook. He had some pretty good games last year. He also had some very weak games last year as well. By the way, he had that hook shot blocked by a smaller defender Monday night. Look, do not get me wrong, I really like Lakhin. He is the best big that UC has had for the past 2 years or so. The team cannot win without Lakhin being productive. Monday night he was 2 for 8 and 0 for 2 from three. He scored 7 points with 8 rebounds. I saw Baylor play Auburn tonight. Baylor has a pair of pretty good big men. For UC to be competitive in the BIG 12, Lakhin has to be a monster on the inside. I am not sure if he has the toughness to hold his own in the BIG 12. Hopefully, he does.

Comment

Bottomline, if these two don't clear waiver appeals " Aziz and Reynolds." it's going to be a long season!

Comment

Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

Last year Lakhin was soft around the rim as well, especially defensively. He had a few ally-oop dunks with passes from DeJulius. However, when Lakhin makes moves in the paint, he will typically shoot the jump hook. He had some pretty good games last year. He also had some very weak games last year as well. By the way, he had that hook shot blocked by a smaller defender Monday night. Look, do not get me wrong, I really like Lakhin. He is the best big that UC has had for the past 2 years or so. The team cannot win without Lakhin being productive. Monday night he was 2 for 8 and 0 for 2 from three. He scored 7 points with 8 rebounds. I saw Baylor play Auburn tonight. Baylor has a pair of pretty good big men. For UC to be competitive in the BIG 12, Lakhin has to be a monster on the inside. I am not sure if he has the toughness to hold his own in the BIG 12. Hopefully, he does.
            Lakhin has never been a banger on the interior despite his size. That's not the style of ball they play in Europe. I would actually say he's completely out of position at the 5 and slightly out of position at the 4. Coming into his career here he was considered a stretch 3. He really does have good offensive skills and can actually hit the 3, in practice at least. I don't mind him taking a couple to drag the defense outside and open the lane because I know he can hit that shot every once in a while and you have to guard him out on the perimeter.

He struggles on defense against physical wide body bangers and guys who are taller than he is.

Lakhin absolutely needs to stay healthy this season. He was hurt toward the end of last year and not 100% in the AAC Tourney and it showed. He could barely jump with Houston's guys in that game which lead to a lot of offensive rebounds and dunks by Houston. I was sitting about 6 rows behind our bench in Ft. Worth for that game and he was extremely frustrated on the bench during that game because he wasn't 100% and was getting killed in the paint.
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Is it me or has Lakhin loss some of his toughness around the rim?
              For a true big like Lahkin to be effective you have to give him the opportunity to set up on the block and play big. Having him wander around the perimeter, pop 3s, and try to take smaller quicker guys off the dribble is a waste of time. I have no idea what UC is trying to run on offense, but it's pretty obvious Miller has no idea how to use Lahkin effectively.

If used properly, Lahkin can be a consistent scorer who can knock down shots at a 65 to 70% rate. He did it for long stretches last year. But, he has to be working within an offense that gets him in position to succeed. It's a shame. Mick would have killed to have a big like Lahkin. Miller has no clue how to use him.

The math is simple. You have a big who can shoot it in at a 65 to 70% rate, you get more points than a perimeter guy shooting in 3s at a 40% rate. And, what are the odds these guys will shoot 40% from 3?

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Lakhin has never been a banger on the interior despite his size. That's not the style of ball they play in Europe. I would actually say he's completely out of position at the 5 and slightly out of position at the 4. Coming into his career here he was considered a stretch 3. He really does have good offensive skills and can actually hit the 3, in practice at least. I don't mind him taking a couple to drag the defense outside and open the lane because I know he can hit that shot every once in a while and you have to guard him out on the perimeter.

He struggles on defense against physical wide body bangers and guys who are taller than he is.

Lakhin absolutely needs to stay healthy this season. He was hurt toward the end of last year and not 100% in the AAC Tourney and it showed. He could barely jump with Houston's guys in that game which lead to a lot of offensive rebounds and dunks by Houston. I was sitting about 6 rows behind our bench in Ft. Worth for that game and he was extremely frustrated on the bench during that game because he wasn't 100% and was getting killed in the paint.

Agree with you! Unless those waiver appeals come through, we're going to get Killed in the paint even more this year! The Big 12 will have no mercy on us, and every team will look to dominate us in the paint.

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post

Good points. Does anyone know why Miller and company are not trying harder to develop Tolentino? My guess is, somewhere within the season, Miller is going to be forced to play Tolentino. The quickest way to develop a player is to let him play. There is no real substitute for live game action. Tolentino is the only other eligible real big that UC has right now. Help that guy to develop by playing him in small doses until he proves himself. That is the way Miller and company brought Oguama along. Now he is a starter.

Comment

Good points. Does anyone know why Miller and company are not trying harder to develop Tolentino? My guess is, somewhere within the season, Miller is going to be forced to play Tolentino. The quickest way to develop a player is to let him play. There is no real substitute for live game action. Tolentino is the only other eligible real big that UC has right now. Help that guy to develop by playing him in small doses until he proves himself. That is the way Miller and company brought Oguama along. Now he is a starter.
                    Ody started 42 games for Wake Forest over two seasons before he came here. In his second year there, he averaged 7.6 ppg and 5.4 rpg.

Tolentino is a raw talent. I'm sure he'll see some floor time, since he's already used up his red shirt. But he's not going to be in the regular rotation. If Bandaogo and Reynolds are not provided waivers, CWM most likely will employ smaller lineups whenever feasible.

Comment

I remember guys like Ryan Fletcher, for example. These were guys who did zero as freshmen, but by the junior and especially senior years they became solid players. I think that’s how CWM views him.

Comment

Originally posted by swilsonsp4 View Post

Ody started 42 games for Wake Forest over two seasons before he came here. In his second year there, he averaged 7.6 ppg and 5.4 rpg.

Tolentino is a raw talent. I'm sure he'll see some floor time, since he's already used up his red shirt. But he's not going to be in the regular rotation. If Bandaogo and Reynolds are not provided waivers, CWM most likely will employ smaller lineups whenever feasible.
                        Very good point. I forgot that Ody was at Wake Forest before he came to Cincinnati.

Comment

Originally posted by longtimefan View Post
                          I remember guys like Ryan Fletcher, for example. These were guys who did zero as freshmen, but by the junior and especially senior years they became solid players. I think that’s how CWM views him.
                          Bobby Brannen is another one. I think that he still holds the school record for most consecutive free throws. His first two years, they stuck him in there to intimidate and foul.

Comment

Kenyon's first couple years were a far cry from what he became as a senior. Justin Jackson is another one from more recent years.

Comment

Originally posted by Longtime Lurker View Post
                              Kenyon's first couple years were a far cry from what he became as a senior. Justin Jackson is another one from more recent years.
                              Tre Scott averaged 3.1 points as a sophomore, first team all league player as a senior

Comment

Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post

Tre Scott averaged 3.1 points as a sophomore, first team all league player as a senior
                                Yes, He improved a lot, but he was behind Gary C. One of my favorites of all time.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X