• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2023-2024 College Basketball general discussion

Some scores/notes from opening night:

- #4 Michigan State fell at home to James Madison in overtime
    - #21 USC handled Kansas State by 13
    - Louisville barely beat UMBC, 94-93 ... Kenny Payne might have the warmest seat in college basketball
    - Notre Dame and Syracuse debuted without Mike Brey and Jim Boeheim
    - UC's next opponent, Detroit Mercy, fell by 34 at Toledo
    - Ohio State beat Oakland by just 6
    - McNeese State beat VCU ... Mike Saunders DNP (two-time transfer), but looks like Zach Harvey is not on the roster and may be pursuing professional route
    - WVU overcame a halftime deficit to beat Missouri State
    - Miami U fell at future opponent Evansville by 8
    - Xavier beat Robert Morris by 14; Desmond Claude scored 25, while the other 9 players who saw minutes are newcomers
    - NKU (who UC plays in a couple weeks) lost by 17 at Middle Tennessee
    - Oklahoma State fell at home to Abilene Christian
    - Eastern Washington (who UC plays Sunday) lost by 35 to Utah, led by Gabe Madsen's 20
    - Not checking AAC scores is nice, but nonetheless paused when seeing the likes of Temple, Wichita State
    - Lots of D1 teams played non-D1 opponents like North American, Kansas Christian, Stanislaus State (nice not having that Chaminade game on the schedule)

Some of these really small tune up buy games for the smaller schools are kind of low key funny.

Austin Peay defeats Life 90-72 (Life sucks apparently)

Southern Methodist defeats Southwest Assemblies of God (Was this played at a church gym?) (yes, those exist )

Cal Poly beats LaVerne (Were the police called?)
    Brent Wyrick
    92 Final Four Front Row
    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Vanderbilt lost to Presbyterian. I feel that one.

Comment

Monmouth won by 8 at WVU

Maryland lost by 3 at Davidson

Louisville lost by 10 versus Chattanooga

OSU fell by 7 to #15 A&M

#12 Arizona won at #2 Duke by 5

Comment

UofL lost a buy game to CHataanooga last night. I think the Kenny Payne experiment has failed and I have idea how it went so far south for the Cards
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            UofL lost a buy game to CHataanooga last night. I think the Kenny Payne experiment has failed and I have idea how it went so far south for the Cards
            Maybe they could hire another Xavior Coach. Mack almost got away with cheating but he is not as slick as SM.

Comment

One of these days I'll fix the spell check on this thing
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Shoutout to EKU for putting 133 pts up playing down a level vs. Wilberforce.
                Brent Wyrick
                92 Final Four Front Row
                @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Dec. 3 opponent Florida Gulf Coast plays at Pitt tonight

Dec, 9 opponent Xavier (Ohio) plays at #3 Purdue tonight

Dec. 22 opponent Stetson plays at #7 Houston tonight

Comment

Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                    Some of these really small tune up buy games for the smaller schools are kind of low key funny.

Austin Peay defeats Life 90-72 (Life sucks apparently)

Southern Methodist defeats Southwest Assemblies of God (Was this played at a church gym?) (yes, those exist )

Cal Poly beats LaVerne (Were the police called?)
                    I found an unusual matchup - Evansville hosted the St. Louis College of Pharmacy. I just had to know, so I looked up StLCoP and found an interesting and funny story about them from December 2012.

https://www.espn.com/blog/playbook/f...mystery-mascot

The AP had them listed as StL CoP, but a school website search took me to the University Of Health Sciences And Pharmacy In St. Louis, but whoever they are, they're still the Eutectics!

Comment

I am in no way looking for bad karma for the Crosstown Shootout, just pointing out an objective stat.

Former UC recruit Trey Green, a 4-star freshman guard at Xavier who has been billed as an "elite shooter," has made just 3 of 20 three point shots (15%) so far in his young college career.

It will be interesting to compare Trey Green and Jizzle James, as they were ranked very similarly across all the platforms.

Comment

UNCG upsets #14 Arkansas. JD appears to have started and had 0 points (0-1) and 2 blocks

Gabe Madden scored 29 points in a loss to #6 Houston

Maryland - #3 in preseason Big Ten media poll and who edged out UC minus Aziz and Jamille in a scrimmage — fell 57-40 to #21 Villanova and is now 1-3.
                        Last edited by GoBearcats31; 11-17-2023, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Maui Invitational title game today at 5 p.m. ET - #2 Purdue versus #4 Marquette
                          Maui Invitational 3rd place game today at 2:30 p.m. ET - #1 Kansas versus #7 Tennessee
                          #11 Gonzaga and UCLA play in the consolation "title" game as well

Marquette beat Kansas by 14 last night and apparently there was some beef between the teams/coaches
                          Purdue escaped Tennessee by 4 in a major foul fest (51 fouls called)

Comment

McCullar was trash talking Shaka Smart after a made three in front of the Marquette bench. Smart was not happy about it and headed for Bill Self and things got stupid after that and the benches cleared. No major damage done. I think it was during a time out so I'mnot sure any suspensions are forthcoming.

ECU apparently hit a half court heave yeaterday and fans rushed the floor after beating........Kennesaw. What is that?
                            Brent Wyrick
                            92 Final Four Front Row
                            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Can't wait to see an Edey versus Wemby matchup in the NBA.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X