No announcement yet.

Howard 11/28 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• All things considered, I was happy to be able to watch the game. I also enjoyed seeing their fans, both children and adults, having a good time.

Comment

• I was thrilled that we were able to escape with a hard fought victory! Lets move on to Florida Gulf Coast.

Comment

• Like others have said, I was happy just being able to watch the game. No it wasn't perfect but it was available and the Cats got the win.

Comment

• It's my understanding that the Howard TV crew for the game are the same guys they use all year but that they usually do this over a very basic low budget web stream hosted on a Howard website. ESPN+ opted to carry the stream. This was not a TV production which is why there were no replays, camera issues, lack of prep work, etc. They aren't pros.
          Brent Wyrick
          92 Final Four Front Row
          @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
            It's my understanding that the Howard TV crew for the game are the same guys they use all year but that they usually do this over a very basic low budget web stream hosted on a Howard website. ESPN+ opted to carry the stream. This was not a TV production which is why there were no replays, camera issues, lack of prep work, etc. They aren't pros.
            It’s pretty simple to me.
            My son starts UC MedSchool August ‘19 Black/Red

Comment

It's my understanding that the Howard TV crew for the game are the same guys they use all year but that they usually do this over a very basic low budget web stream hosted on a Howard website. ESPN+ opted to carry the stream. This was not a TV production which is why there were no replays, camera issues, lack of prep work, etc. They aren't pros.
              Actually I remember a few years we were in some tournament with Florida Gulf Coast, our next opponent, and I think the games were on the Sun Network or something like that. You may have even had to go through UC's website to watch. My memory has forgotten some of the details but that was the worst broadcast I have ever seen. The Howard broadcast was better than that one.

Comment

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

It is simple - a win - an enjoyable game and on to the next game.
                Last edited by leo from jersey; 11-29-2023, 07:15 PM.

Comment

I'm glad we got to see the game, but it's all kind of puzzling to me. Why did ESPN+ decide to pick up the game only a few days before it was played? Surely this is unusual. Do UC and Howard benefit financially? (I hope they do.) I also was surprised at the poor attendance. I would have thought that a big name basketball program like UC playing at Howard would be a big draw. Was it promoted at Howard?

Comment

• OK, I 'll stick my neck out here because I just finished watching the archived game.

Observations:

Tough environment because it's a small building with an unusual court and it was our first road game. Glad we won but also glad we played this game. I think a lot of teams could benefit from playing a road game like this.

We were not ready on the road and they played their asses off. That would have been a loss in previous years. Social media is what it is but we were favored in this and I saw almost no one give credit to Howard University on this game. I hope they win the the MEAC. They played really well and I was very impressed with the effort.

The cameras:

They were automated motion sensor cams with probably very minor human interaction over than the cuts to the baseline cam and some zoom ins. I was shocked that the majority of our fanbase did not catch on to that last night during the game. The criticism was unwarranted in my opinion.

The announcers:

No, they weren't the best prepared announcers we've ever dealt with but they were entertaining and very into the game sometimes to the point of audio feedback issues. I thought it was kind of refreshing to be honest. Every announcer is not Jim Nantz calling golf. Embrace different styles. This was fun.

W. on to FGCU

Brent Wyrick
                    92 Final Four Front Row
                    @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by Corporateballa View Post

You're not wrong.
                      Brent Wyrick
                      92 Final Four Front Row
                      @LobotC2DFW

Comment

• Originally posted by leo from jersey View Post

It is simple - a win - an enjoyable game and on to the next game.

Couldn't agree more!

Comment

• Originally posted by DesertFog View Post

I'm glad we got to see the game, but it's all kind of puzzling to me. Why did ESPN+ decide to pick up the game only a few days before it was played? Surely this is unusual. Do UC and Howard benefit financially? (I hope they do.) I also was surprised at the poor attendance. I would have thought that a big name basketball program like UC playing at Howard would be a big draw. Was it promoted at Howard?
                          This game coverage originally was going to be just a Howard audio stream. Per Chad Brendel, UC pushed hard for Howard to produce the video stream. ESPN was not involved aside from use of their platform infrastructure.

Comment

• The Howard game was a very weird game. First of all, UC did not look like itself, especially early in the game. Secondly, you cannot call that game a shootout even though both teams scored in the eighties and shot over 45%. Thirdly, this game was hardly a defensive battle although both teams struggled to score and really had to fight to make tough shots. UC played just enough defense in the last minutes of regulation and overtime, and also hit just enough shots late in the game to win. That was a very weird game. I do not think that I have ever seen a game like that before. Howard is a pretty damn good little team. They are picked to win the MEAC for the second consecutive year. I tip my hat to them.
                            Last edited by leeraymond; 12-01-2023, 01:58 PM.

Comment

• If you shoot 3/18 from 3 against anybody they are going to be close. Good news is these are game in the past 4/5 years we would have lost.

Comment

• I believe that we have played 4 or 5 teams this year that won their conferences last year. Yes, they are from small conferences but at least they are the better teams.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X