Kansas 1/22 9:00 ESPN

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by John P View Post

Every time I see Simas miss another 3 I think "Get Reed in the game" I think Reed is a much better option.
    Every time I see Day Day jack up another 3, I cringe. Over the last 6 games, Day Day is 2 for 21 from 3.

Comment

From CBSSports:

“You had some good looks, some blown possessions, and you're still right there. That's the hard part to swallow,” said Cincinnati coach Will Wade, whose team had 16 turnovers and went 3 for 18 from the 3-point arc.

Didn't realize Wes took the night off.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba..._CINCY@KANSAS/
      Cory Huffman
      Cin City

Comment

Miller wants his offense to be fast paced and shoot a lot of 3's. When we push it we turn it over. We are horrible shooting 3's. If we throw it inside we fumble it away or miss layups. Our offense generally consists somebody going 1 on 1 with maybe one pass and then shoot an errant 3 or miss it close. One thing that is obvious in this league is that teams screen the **** out of you to create a mismatch or get an open shot. I have not seen that from us at all. I think part of it is because we are constantly shuffling guys in and out which I think killls continuity and rhythm.

Comment

Originally posted by BearKatz View Post
          Another very winnable game slips away !

Bottom line, we're a year away Boys!
          a guard who can take leadership, see the court, pass and hit more than a mid range jump shot. he needs to play perimeter defense against good shooting teams. I am a dreamer.

Comment

Originally posted by loshow22 View Post
            from cbssports:

“you had some good looks, some blown possessions, and you're still right there. That's the hard part to swallow,” said cincinnati coach will wade, whose team had 16 turnovers and went 3 for 18 from the 3-point arc.

Didn't realize wes took the night off.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba..._cincy@kansas/
            waaaat????
            Brent Wyrick
            92 Final Four Front Row
            @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by Barklee View Post

Every time I see Day Day jack up another 3, I cringe. Over the last 6 games, Day Day is 2 for 21 from 3.
              Day Day was 25% from 3 on the season coming into the game. If it's wide open sure, but he's not making a contested shot from out there.
              Brent Wyrick
              92 Final Four Front Row
              @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Originally posted by loshow22 View Post
                From CBSSports:

“You had some good looks, some blown possessions, and you're still right there. That's the hard part to swallow,” said Cincinnati coach Will Wade, whose team had 16 turnovers and went 3 for 18 from the 3-point arc.

Didn't realize Wes took the night off.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba..._CINCY@KANSAS/
                I guess this shows Wes has a ways to go before he's a household name in coaching.

Comment

Here's the Box :

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401603433

Stuff that jumps out:

-We lost a game at KU by 5 points on a night where we turned the ball over like mad. That's actually encouraging from my viewpoint. We're so close.

-Lack of assists by the Bearcats. This was also a glaring issue vs. Oklahoma

-We hammered KU on the boards and gave it right back to them. 40 to 29 in Rebounds but 16 TOs.

-Obviously no one scouted this Furthy kid nor did we ever figure out how to block him out. He killed us all night. McCullar got his but I didn't expect Furthy to be the second guy. I thought it would be Dickinson.

-Dickinson was underwhelming last night and we didn't take advanatge of it nor did we attempt to foul him out at the end of the game. They got a whole 2 points out of their bench last night.

-Not going to win many games in this conference shooting 16% from 3. Lukosius in particular was just completely ice cold last night but the entire starting lineup didn't make a 3.

-James looked pretty good on offense but needs to cut down on the TOs.

-Free Throw shooting was not as much of a problem as the past few losses outside of Vik. 78% for the game.

-Ody must have pissed in Wes' Wheaties or something. DNP again. Not sure if he's hurt or in the doghouse. You'd think he'd see at least a few minutes.
                  Brent Wyrick
                  92 Final Four Front Row
                  @LobotC2DFW

Comment

Our recent 3-point shooting woes just go to show how heavily we were depending on CJ Frederick to carry the load as a career 41% 3-point shooter coming into this season.

Simas shot 37.8% at Butler last year on nearly 5 attempts/game but has since seen his percentage drop to 33.7% on similar volume so far this season.

Aside from Josh Reed who made 10/25 attempts (40%) as a freshman in limited action, no one else entered this season with legitimate 3-point shooting acumen.

Comment

• Random thoughts:

I am encouraged by this team, but MUST beat UCF this weekend then follow with a WVU win.

UC has been in every game. Lots of so so teams will look good one night, get crushed the next. They are in it each night -- reminds me of some of Mick's teams.

#19 defensive efficiency on KenPom

If UC had been blown out, I think people might say 'Well, it is Kansas.' But because they were in it despite so many turnovers and missed shots, it feels like a missed opportunity.

UC made 6 of its last 7 shots (plus a bunch of FTs too) -- they were tentative and seemed more committed to running the offense then someone just taking over and getting a bucket prior to that. Again, reminds me of Mick's teams... once they did not overthink things, when they just had to get a bucket late, good things happened.

Lots of analysts saying this is an NCAA Tournament team. Obviously they need to get some more wins to get there. UC was bubbly last year but, in hindsight, not a very good team. This team feels close. Again, must win against UCF.

Lukosius is a good player but more often than not just hasn't gotten it done. If he can get going, good things can happen. But having Fredrick would help.

This is a solid program right now with promise headed our way via recruiting and hopefully the portal. McDonald's AA rosters announced today - would be amazing if Betsey got the call.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                        Here's the Box :

Stuff that jumps out:

-We lost a game at KU by 5 points on a night where we turned the ball over like mad. That's actually encouraging from my viewpoint. We're so close.

-We hammered KU on the boards and gave it right back to them. 40 to 29 in Rebounds but 16 TOs.

-Obviously no one scouted this Furthy kid nor did we ever figure out how to block him out. He killed us all night. McCullar got his but I didn't expect Furthy to be the second guy. I thought it would be Dickinson.

-Dickinson was underwhelming last night and we didn't take advanatge of it nor did we attempt to foul him out at the end of the game. They got a whole 2 points out of their bench last night.

-Not going to win many games in this conference shooting 16% from 3. Lukosius in particular was just completely ice cold last night but the entire starting lineup didn't make a 3.

-Free Throw shooting was not as much of a problem as the past few losses outside of Vik. 78% for the game.

-Ody must have pissed in Wes' Wheaties or something. DNP again. Not sure if he's hurt or in the doghouse. You'd think he'd see at least a few minutes.
                        Great summary! I also think UC could have altered this game a lot more by driving / drawing fouls if nothing else to soften up the inside (now, you have to make those shots under the basket which dogged us all night).

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
                          Here's the Box :

Stuff that jumps out:

so you are saying if only the cats had a floor leader especially as a point guard. Hopefully he can not only control the offense and dictate the defense, but hit some shots as well as make FTs.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bearcat93 View Post

Great summary! I also think UC could have altered this game a lot more by driving / drawing fouls if nothing else to soften up the inside (now, you have to make those shots under the basket which dogged us all night).

They missed to many easy layups. What good is a drive if you can't finish. They need to rethink how/what they attack. The skills are not there to be centered on driving. What they are skilled for on offense, I just don't know.

Comment

• great post GB31, We should see some positivity when so much of the negative is pointed out and the reason for the negative is because as you eluded to we allowed an opportunity to slip by. There is a saying that there is more way to skin a cat, and so if one aspect of your plan is not working then it's usually a good strategy to go another route. In particular we had Dickinson with four fouls, when he got to three and came back in we should have gone after him hard to obtain more fouls. What ever happened to getting the opponents in foul trouble. Why not teach JJ and DayDay how to drive to the basket to obtain a foul Or why not put Reed in who is a defensive piece in to guard Furthy. The most confusing aspect in all these losses is the refusal to deviate from the original plan. There are rarely no in game adjustments to counter their production. Just slowing down a bit of what is working for Them is probably just enough to get us over the hump. Reed stopping Furthy just one time and then scoring just one trey, which never happened with Simas, could have had a different outcome. I like Miller and hope he succeeds, and when he does, I hope he stays for a long time, but I don't understand his stance on not changing what's not working in a game, to making an adjustment to correct what's inhibiting production, to obtaining the win when it is within grasp or at least not trying. In today's collegiate environment winning now is all that matters. I understand building a program, but you have to play to win, not how not to lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by Rufus View Post
                                great post GB31, We should see some positivity when so much of the negative is pointed out and the reason for the negative is because as you eluded to we allowed an opportunity to slip by. There is a saying that there is more way to skin a cat, and so if one aspect of your plan is not working then it's usually a good strategy to go another route. In particular we had Dickinson with four fouls, when he got to three and came back in we should have gone after him hard to obtain more fouls. What ever happened to getting the opponents in foul trouble. Why not teach JJ and DayDay how to drive to the basket to obtain a foul Or why not put Reed in who is a defensive piece in to guard Furthy. The most confusing aspect in all these losses is the refusal to deviate from the original plan. There are rarely no in game adjustments to counter their production. Just slowing down a bit of what is working for Them is probably just enough to get us over the hump. Reed stopping Furthy just one time and then scoring just one trey, which never happened with Simas, could have had a different outcome. I like Miller and hope he succeeds, and when he does, I hope he stays for a long time, but I don't understand his stance on not changing what's not working in a game, to making an adjustment to correct what's inhibiting production, to obtaining the win when it is within grasp or at least not trying. In today's collegiate environment winning now is all that matters. I understand building a program, but you have to play to win, not how not to lose.
                                He did go into a zone which Kansas had trouble with.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X