West Virginia 1/31 7:00 ESPN+

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by GoBearcats31 View Post
    Another "critical coaching error" would be that UC's lone second half timeout was called with 47 seconds left, shortly after WVU hit the go-ahead three (and then Lakhin heaved a 3 out of the timeout).

WVU went on an 8-0 run--including back to back baskets inside by Jesse Edwards--before the official under 4 timeout. Then on the ensuing possession, Edwards had another dunk to tie it. ... Day Day then missed a 3, got a stop (Aziz block) but Day Day turned it over, and Edwards beat them again for an offensive rebound and layup to complete the 12-0 run. Of course, Simas came down and hit a 3, but then WVU hit the aforementioned 3 before Wes took that first and only timeout of the half.
    Hey, I am with you on that one. Any one with eyes could see that UC begin to fall a part when WV made their run after UC went up by 10. Why NOT call a time out when the WV run was 5 to 0? Had Miller called a time out to settle everybody down and talk to the players about finishing strong, when the game was still winnable, there may have been a different outcome. Miller had another "don't-do-nothing" moment in the Texas game by not giving the last foul when Abmas raced down the floor to hit the winning shot.

This loss does not surprise me a lot. Every year since Miller has been the coach, UC has been upset at least twice every year. By the way, has anyone taken a look at the remaining schedule? This WV loss may be the first of 4 or 5 straight losses. It is highly possible that UC is at the beginning of a MAJOR losing streak with 7 losses out of their next 10 games. I believe that you take one game at a time. However, I have seen enough of Miller to understand that the man has coaching challenges. The losses are stacking up. UC has now loss 5 of their last 7 games with no relief in sight. Miller had the exact same win-loss record after 21 games last year with one upset loss (NKU).

One last comment. Miller mentioned in his press conference that he did not have the team prepared and that he has to do better. How many times over the last three years have we heard that? Right now everyone is upset about the WV loss and I am no different. There are about 10 games left with some outstanding wins to take. From what I can see, Miller does NOT get the best out of his players for every game. Some games they look good. Some games they look like crap. Over the next 10 games, Miller is going to have to get EVERYTHING out of his players EVERY GAME. I do not know if he can do that. We will see.
    Last edited by leeraymond; 02-01-2024, 12:44 PM.

Comment

• any update on newman??

Comment

• Originally posted by Lobot View Post
        Box Score:

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-ba...meId/401603451

Quick thoughts. Vik was obviously not healthy out there and had an awful night. That's on Wes for continuing to throw him out there. I'm sure Vik wanted to play but sometimes as coach you've got to sit a guy who's not playing at 100%.

The middle screen and roll to Edwards killed us all night and we never adjusted to it. Aziz got burned on that continously and that's on the staff.

The bizarre substitutions continue. Why take Jizzle out after you build a 10 pt lead with him in? Was there a matchup issue I missed ?

What was the play to Vik in the endgame situation supposed to be? I have a hard time thinking they drew up a 3 to Lakhin there.

Another game on the road where the 3pt % was very low. We took 32 3s in that game. seems like a lot especially when they weren't going in.

Hope Newman's going to be ok. I haven't heard an update on him yet. I know he came back to the bench at the end of the game.
        Perfect summary, Lo.

Comment

• Blame can be placed on Lahkin and it's not that he has been sick the past few weeks. Lahkin is not and has not been the player we've seen these past two years. I was just enjoying watching him develope these past two years but he has either hit the wall but I suspect He's even regressed or he just don't care anymore. He is not aggressive at all, playing out position continueously, doesnt want to defend, box out, or even bang around under the rim with the other bigs on both teams. It's like he's obtained some kind of aversion to playing the 4 or 5 and I'm thinking his bball acumen just won't allow him to sync with Aziz, or Jamille, or he's upset that Aziz is starting at the five instead of him. You can see it in his demeanor on the court and on the bench. He just don't want to play here with these guys no more. And Miller is at fault for putting up with it. He needs to sit the bench the rest of the year or until his attitude changes. I would go with Ody and Jamille the rest of the way so that we get Jamille up and clanging on all cylinders as best we can. With the production we've gotten out of Vik these last several games does not equate to 6'11-7'0". It's more like 5'11. I believe I would have put Tolentino in last night. He couldn't have any worse.

Comment

• Originally posted by leeraymond View Post

Hey, I am with you on that one. Any one with eyes could see that UC begin to fall a part when WV made their run after UC went up by 10. Why NOT call a time out when the WV run was 5 to 0? Had Miller called a time out to settle everybody down and talk to the players about finishing strong, when the game was still winnable, there may have been a different outcome. Miller had another "don't-do-nothing" moment in the Texas game by not giving the last foul when Abmas raced down the floor to hit the winning shot.

This loss does not surprise me a lot. Every year since Miller has been the coach, UC has been upset at least twice every year. By the way, has anyone taken a look at the remaining schedule? This WV loss may be the first of 4 or 5 straight losses. It is highly possible that UC is at the beginning of a MAJOR losing streak with 7 losses out of their next 10 games. I believe that you take one game at a time. However, I have seen enough of Miller to understand that the man has coaching challenges. The losses are stacking up. UC has now loss 5 of their last 7 games with no relief in sight. Miller had the exact same win-loss record after 21 games last year with one upset loss (NKU).

One last comment. Miller mentioned in his press conference that he did not have the team prepared and that he has to do better. How many times over the last three years have we heard that? Right now everyone is upset about the WV loss and I am no different. There are about 10 games left with some outstanding wins to take. From what I can see, Miller does NOT get the best out of his players for every game. Some games they look good. Some games they look like crap. Over the next 10 games, Miller is going to have to get EVERYTHING out of his players EVERY GAME. I do not know if he can do that. We will see.
            Couldn't agree more with this assessment. I am in the camp that the talent is on this roster and they are underperforming. I was concerned going into this year that we might be physically overmatched in the B12 but having watched our games and many of the other teams our talent is comparable. No roster is perfect. I think many of the guys (Jamille, Aziz, Simas) were more productive with their other teams. They seem to come here and go into a funk....primarily offensively. I think there can always be a "just wait until next year and all the talent coming in" mindset when things start to go south. Guess what....a lot of that talent will be freshman and can you imagine the growing pains that will go with that.

We all know, unlike the AAC, there are plenty of opportunties in this league to build the resume going forward. However unless something dramatically changes we are ill prepared to take advantage of those opportunities. I hope I am wrong.

Comment

Responsive Ad Widget

Collapse
            Working...
            X